Colic survery

spacefaer

Visit site
Done but I struggled with one section -light schooling ie less than 2 hours a day vs harder schooling ie more than 2 hours a day? ?

I may have misread it but I'm not sure who schools for more than 2 hours? Did you mean hacking for those timescales ?

Also - my guy was a hunter - you don't have an option for that - I put what I hoped was an equivalent but it's not very accurate :-(

Casey76

Visit site
Done - though I never got a proper diagnosis due to no surgical intervention. Personally I suspect botulism, due to presenting symptoms, but that is only my supposition (I work in pharmacovigilance and have a degree in pharmacology, so although not an HCP, I'm not a "lay person" either).

twiggy2

Visit site
the turn out hours options are limited, 4-6 and then jumps to 8-10
also does not ask age of horse when colic happened, also how long ago that was. Exercise options are limited too and the questions ask what horse is fed and how it is kept now not when it colicked-i have answered for diet and lifestyle when colic occurred as i thought it would be more relevant
length of questionaire is great and simplicity too though.

adm

New User
Visit site
the turn out hours options are limited, 4-6 and then jumps to 8-10
also does not ask age of horse when colic happened, also how long ago that was. Exercise options are limited too and the questions ask what horse is fed and how it is kept now not when it colicked-i have answered for diet and lifestyle when colic occurred as i thought it would be more relevant
length of questionaire is great and simplicity too though.

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't even notice the hours on the turn out times questions jumped and obviously neither did my tutor! Obviously my dyslexia creeping in there. I have slightly altered the questionnaire now so that future participants have (hopefully) a clearer understanding.

Thank you all so much. Please continue to fill it out if you haven't already and share with your friends!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Done all five of ours! You should now have a very fit NF in heavy work, who has never has colic, an elderly 36 Welsh Sec. B who has had colic twice, and two veteran Andalusians, who no colic history (impossible to know as they're from Spain & no record in passports) one who used to be a broodmare with arthritis, and the other with sweet itch, melanomas & SPAOPD.

Would it be possible for you to share you're findings with us? I'd be very interested to see the different cases, and what triggered them, and how they could of been prevented etc. :)

You should do a survey on 'AM' is it? The sycamore poisoning in horses, that would also be very interesting?....

adm

New User
Visit site
Done all five of ours! You should now have a very fit NF in heavy work, who has never has colic, an elderly 36 Welsh Sec. B who has had colic twice, and two veteran Andalusians, who no colic history (impossible to know as they're from Spain & no record in passports) one who used to be a broodmare with arthritis, and the other with sweet itch, melanomas & SPAOPD.

Would it be possible for you to share you're findings with us? I'd be very interested to see the different cases, and what triggered them, and how they could of been prevented etc. :)

You should do a survey on 'AM' is it? The sycamore poisoning in horses, that would also be very interesting?....

Thank you! I absolutely can, but it'll have to be after I've handed it into uni and they've marked it etc. So around July time, but if you send me your email address into my inbox I can definitely send the report over - or anyone else who wants a copy also feel free!

Perhaps that can be for my next project in final year lol!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Done for my current ones that fortunately have never had colic. However had one previously die of a torsion I think was caused when it fell when another horse chased it.

Addicted to Hunting

Visit site
Done for my current horse, I put polo/racing as she is a hunter but I put this. Should prop of said no set meal time, will try and do the two geldings at some point as well. I did lose my old pony to colic, but they think it was due to a limpo or something like that older horses can be prone to, as had never had colic before that.

cptrayes

Visit site
I had one that doesn't fit the survey too :)

He would not come in one night in winter, so he missed his haylage and second feed, and the next day was rolling in agony in the late afternoon.

I sold him this spring and he colicked after a week in his new home, so it seems he may be affected by changes to his feeding regime and/or emotional upset, since something had also upset him to stop him coming in the first time, it wasn't normal behaviour for him.