College project - what clothes do you wear to the yard?

Obilicious

Visit site
Im doing this for a college project so any replies usefull

1. What clothes do you tend to wear to the yard incl footwear
2. Where do you tend to buy your yard clothes e.g. shop or online
3. Do you think anything is missing from the equestrian sector clothing wise

Tia

alainax

Visit site

Tia

1. Breeches if riding, leggings if not. Boot socks, vest top, jumper, body warmer, work gloves.
2. They either "graduate" to becoming yard clothes, ie they are too old/faded to be regular clothes :p or for real horsey stuff, I buy online.
3. Wider selection of sizes and shapes. Plus size rider clothing tends to be quite limited or really funny shapes. ( like super tight round the calves and baggy on the waist).

Goldenstar

Visit site
In the morning breeches fleeces and a waistcoat I only wear coats if the weather is really really awful .
In the pm jeans or moleskins and at night whatever I am wearing could be anything from pjs to a ball gown .

I buy probably 80%online 20% from shops .

I wish there was more choice and more better quality hi viz stuff available .

JFTDWS

Visit site
Skinny jeans or jodhs depending on what's clean. Rarely spend a lot of money on jodhs, jeans are high street types. Polo shirt / t-shirt and hoodie, not usually equestrian brands. Possibly base layers etc depending on weather. Rarely wear jackets, tbh. Wear trainers in summer, long ariats to ride, cheap snow boot type things in the mud. Mostly buy stuff online, in sales, and often not from equestrian retailers now. I don't think there's anything hugely missing from that sector - if anything, I think it's a bit over developed.

cobsarefab

Visit site
In winter jodhpurs, shirt or t shirt waterproof coat. Thick socks, johdpur or yard boots, gloves. In summer vest top, johds or shorts, socks and jodhpurs boots.
I get most clothes online and all boots online.
Echo the hi viz comment wish there was more orange and pink about as I think yellow stands out the least.

Talism4n

Visit site
If I'm riding, jodhpurs, t shirt, hoodie, and in the current weather up to two leather motorcycle jackets and a long waterproof coat (I'm perpetually freezing and live near the coast!). Plus the usual boots/gloves/helmet/hi viz vest etc. I live on site so I'm often sporting a dressing gown and PJs under the long coat if I'm just hanging round the yard.
I'd love a better range of short jackets with hoods and hi viz gear. I find I'm either too cold or too restricted in most jackets and I'd love a hood that won't feel like too much fabric around my neck when I put my helmet on. Good luck with your project!

DD

Visit site
johds jeans sweatshirts barbour jacket gloves hat wellies mucker boots. buy from aldi joules charity shops agricultural stoes

Visit site
At the moment I religiously wear thermals and my chilblains are finally going! I wear skinny jeans, waterproofs and generic long sleeved, warm tops /jumpers. Mostly from primark. No point in paying a fortune for clothes I will trash working with horses! I usually ride in walking boots and short chaps.

The only equestrIan clothing items I have is my showing kit - jods/breeches, shirt and Granny suit.

A and gloves! I can't cope without my SSG gloves for keeping a good grip on my reins in all weathers!

millikins

Visit site
Jeans, jumpers, wellies with wool socks or ariats and jodhs if riding. I usually buy horse stuff in sales, often disappointed with on line. I have a man's barbour jumper and wool fingerless mitts which I defy anyone to feel cold in, I think there is a dearth of warm, good quality female clothing available, i.e. real wool, mine came from a shooting shop.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wear skinny jeans to muck out in I change into breeches to ride, I wear thin base layers with a body warmer normally although I do have a few warm coats, I buy from local tack shop Aldi and some on line most of the time.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My horses are at home, so I can get changed quickly. I only wear breeches if I am going to ride. For yard work, at this time of the year, I wear thick cord trousers, or trackie bottoms, or similar, maybe with leggings under. As many layers as necessary, usually with a sweatshirt and fleece. Then a waterproof, padded hi-viz jacket from The Range, which is good for dog-walking too. Always wear waterproof gloves, current ones are from Aldi. I have a Dri-za-bone full length coat for atrocious weather and a Ryedale long waterproof coat for ordinary wet weather. I always wear a hat. I buy the cheapest warmest clothes that I can find. I don't find that equestrian clothing is often good value for money. I wear wellies with neoprene lining to try to keep my feet warm, bought from tack shop this time but have bought online in the past. In summer I wear similar clothes but not so many layers and Mucker boots.
Breeches, I sometimes buy online (although not so much now that Equestrian Clearance has gone out of business) or in shops, riding boots and hat, I prefer to try on, so buy in shops.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site

At the moment I wear jodhpurs or leggings. I wear a t-shirt with a hoodie and a coat or fleece. I have some polo shirts from the equestrian clearance liquidation that I wear all the time under hoodies or on their own in summer. And wellies of course.
In summer it's a t shirt, jodhpurs, leggings or yoga pants with paddock boots. I change into long boots to ride.

Usually primark or other cheap shops. I like decathlon for jodhpurs, but don't tend to buy from horsey shops.

I don't think there's much missing really, the American market has a lot more choice of technical shirts and really nice breeches, but I don't spend much on clothes and only dress up properly when I'm showing.

Hope that helps :)

rara007

Visit site
My yard is at home so on work days I wear what I wear for work (currently scrubs) with a coat (have several, some musto but many unbranded) with either ariat or dubarry long leather boots or Dunlop wellies. Non work days it’s jeans (high street) or jods (mainly mid range), with a polo shirt (embroidered sponsored ones, joules or online- amazon!)

At Shows/events, at the local saddlery and online, it’s a mix. Most my coats are sponsorship ones tbh. Jods I get from a saddlery.

Nope! Maybe more plus/normal size tops, I’m pretty err chesty and getting a polo that stays long enough is tricky, as is smart casual jackets.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site

My horses are at home, so it's easy for me to change into riding clothes. To do the yard I wear jeans, t shirt, jodhpur boots and depending on the weather jumper, gilet and waterproof jacket, wellies.

Jeans from anywhere. T shirts from primark. Waterproof from tk maxx. Wellies from country store and jodhpur boots online. Riding clothes from large shows.

Not really but apart from riding boots jodhpurs/breeches and riding hats and gloves I don't buy any equestrian only stuff.

Spottyappy

Visit site
I look like Nothing on earth this time of year. My own yard, and it’s muddy. Very muddy. So, absolutely not any point wearing decent clothes, so I wear old jog bottoms, tatty old coats and whatever woolly hat tends to be handy. Has to be wellies on feet, as mud comes over the top of short boots.
If riding, I put jods on underneath, and then they are at least vaguely clean to be seen in!

Peter7917

Visit site
Wellies, jeans, polo shirt and a hoodie. None of it actually horsey branded.

Whack on a pair of country boots for riding.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Tia

Long rubber boots or jodhpur boots., stylo or decathlon
Jodhpurs, decathlon
Rugby shirt, ebay
Extra jumpers if required, ebay

All bought online.

I wish they would bring back the Stylo/Aigle Ecuyer rubber riding boot.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

Tia

atm I have some winter breeches (Toggi), with a fleece with a t-shirt or base layer underneath (depending on temp) with a Horseware Ardan coat (hands down the best yard coat I've ever had). Roeckl winter chester gloves, Tuffs Nordics or Muck Boot Chores (dependent on label of water). I ride in all these save the coat which is too long, have a Decathlon riding coat and some Mark Todd over trousers.

tend to buy online tbh, with a small amount from local feed shops.

Better Hi Viz stuff and more well thought out coats such as this Ardan one-its light, waterproof, warm-has handwarmer pockets plus this great high fleece collar that covers your ears as well as a useful padded hood. They don't make them any more-should have bought three.

scats

Visit site
Jods, a hoodie or a pullover (no Tshirt underneath as I overheat when mucking out), ariat wellies or country boots - depending on if I'm riding or just doing yard jobs.
I wear blouson style jackets also and sometimes a gilet aswell.
Tend to buy jods online, some tops from Rydale... but I do downgrade some 'good' hoodies and they become yard hoodies after a while.
Summer I wear jods and a polo type t-shirt, usually with a zip up hoodie that can be taken on and off easily.

Junebug44

Visit site
I do miss a good old fashioned yellow polo neck!! But then i remember the days we would wear an actual hacking jacket for hacking!! :)

I've struggled to find a really good riding mac with a proper "skirt" that comes down over the back of the horse.

Having said that, i do like the Ariat Base layers and team jackets.

Sophire

Visit site
Breeches, baselayer, jumper, gilet/ coat, will normally be wearing belt with breeches which is an equestrian brand (not sure if this counts?). I'll normally buy online as I do repurchase what I know I like in the way of breeches, socks etc. Tops I have a collection of thin long sleeved tops from Primark that do the job and maybe 2/3 equestrian brand baselayer type tops. Coats, my last 3 have been from college, uni and then work and are all Regatta in their blouson style although I have a few other gilets/ coats that I'll wear but maybe for if I'm going to a show or somewhere I want to look presentable!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Mostly the same as for riding.

Riding breeches / jodhpurs
Short sleeved cotton V necked T shirt
Long sleeved shirt with collar; made of cotton or linen
In really cold weather (below -5°C) a quilted waistcoat or a coat liner in addition to the jacket (below).
In damp or cool weather (below 10°C), a belted Barbour waxed cotton jacket. Usually this comes off and gets hung over a rail after warm-up, or if we're on a trail ride it gets rolled up and stowed over the withers once we get properly trotting along.

Footwear: if I know I'm riding afterwards, then either ankle boots to which I'll add leather gaiters, or I'll wear my riding boots. If the weather is very wet and the arena is ankle deep in water, or if I know I'll be hosing, then rubber wellies. If I'm not going to ride, then leather steel toe-capped rigger boots.

About 50% online, 50% retail store

Men's sizes in stock and at reasonable prices!
Women's sizes and children's sizes are stocked everywhere, but proper men's sizes are missing.
I have a hard time finding 18-1/2" collar shirts that are long enough in the cut to stay tucked in when I move around. Breeches in 40" waist are as rare as rocking-horse poo.

Last edited:

Snitch

Visit site
Jeans, over-trousers, t-shirt, fleece, padded jacket, hat, waterproof gloves, wellies and best of all, Bridgedale socks that keep my feet warm (yay)!

Edited to add: A VEST

Visit site
BTW - what I found in Primark the other day which isn't to everyones taste but I LOVE them is slightly thermal leggings - covered in Harry Potter stuff! That made my day when I found them and they look so cool on!

Not really anything to do with this thread but I just looked at my legs and remembered that I have them on :p

buzyizzy

Visit site
jogging bottoms and trainers, changing into wellies to bring in. Jods if I'm riding. Sweatshirt, old jumpers and fleeces.
Both
Waders lol

little_critter

Visit site
I tend to wear breeches, unless I know I wont be riding that day, in which case I wear old jeans.
On top I wear tee shirt and fleece /sweatshirt. T shirts are usually the cheap £3-£5 ones you get in the supermarkets. Sweatshirts are either retired from 'nice' sweatshirts, or cheap plain ones bought from mole valley.
Breeches I buy from tack shops, t shirts from supermarket and sweatshirts either from fashion shops, then retired to yard wear or new from mole valley.

Missing from the sector? The only thing I can think of is good hi viz waterproof jackets that are lined but don't have wadding or fill in them. I still want to be hi viz and waterproof in summer so I don't want a filled jacket.

Flicker

Visit site

Tia

1. Riding Days: Dubarry Galways on yard, Ariats to ride, johds, t-shirt, fleece or hoodie, gilet or non-down puffa. CD Equestrian hi viz to hack. Gloves.

2. Mainly online. The local shop stocks eye wateringly expensive stuff.

3. Layering. Lighter fabric long and short sleeved tops that can be layered and removed or added as you get warmer or colder. If those are in hi viz colours, even better.

Carlosmum

Visit site
Wear much the same as everyone else.... jeans, polo shirt & sweat shirt plus vests/thermals as necessary. However during the winter I always wear overalls/boiler suit too. Keeps out the drafts and offers a degree of protection against the rain. Always wellies, unless riding then it is short boots & chaps + breeches.

Shopping ... depends on what I need, but mostly 'online' for horsey stuff. Probably Sainsburys/tescos for jeans. The Factory shop for polos.

Missing clothing? I think more horsey shops should look at supplying boiler suits... not just for clipping I get mine from the local farm supplies or Amazon