College project - what clothes do you wear to the yard?

Dubsie

Visit site
I don't ride as daughter does, so Ijust do the chores. I wear jeans and T shirt/poloshirt, long sleeved in winter plus any ancient sweatshirt at least 20 years old (fleece or jumpers hay/straw sticks to so I avoid), with a gillet over the top if cold (often abandoned as we're in a barn so it's warm for mucking out) or an ancient 18 year old rewaterproofed with Fabsil Berghaus jacket which is longish and very waterproof. Also a hat if cold and maybe a vest if minus 5 or so, and if really windy I might add a scarf to fill gaps at the neck. Footwear I have some DeWalt steel toe capped boots that are waterproof and very warm so no need for extra socks (I may swap to wellies if bringing in anyone else's horse but our field is not too wet)

I don't buy for the job, just relegate anything old that doesn't matter, very few of my clothes are newer than 3 years old, a lot came from a charity shop - I buy quality to last generally, although my jeans are mostly M&S a couple of pairs were bought last year.

However if I did buy I'd specifically look for longer items of clothing - too much is too short when bent over mucking out or poo picking. I know it's meant for riding so doesn't foul the saddle, but think this is different needs - daughter rides in different jackets to mucking out/poo picking. I would use a boiler suit if I had one, just not got round to it.

Kat

Visit site
1. If riding always jodhs and boots (ariat long or short) if short boots also chaps. If not riding I might wear jeans or hiking trousers depending upon the weather. Tops are not equestrian, I have a few aldi ski tops, plus polo shirts, sweatshirts and t-shirts. Never wear a fleece round horses as the hair sticks. My coats and gilets are all outdoor brands rather than horsey as they do the job better. Sealskin gloves are essential for winter as is a buff neck warmer.

2. Jodhs from decathlon or aldi. Boots, gloves etc from horsey retailers online. Tops from wherever. Coats from outdoor shops.

3. Menswear is a huge issue. My husband hasn't bought any new jodhs for over 10 years as he can't find any that fit well. Most boots stop at a size 8 despite being suitable for men and women. Often you are forced into expensive brands like pikeur because the budget brands are for women only which is a massive problem for boys who are still growing.

The other gap in the market is good use of technical fabrics and design. Why is there so much good technical clothing for hikers and cyclists but so little for riders?

Fruitcake

Visit site
Horses are at home so, in the mornings, I tend to wear my fleecy pyjamas under waterproof trousers and jacket! At other times in the winter, I wear mid-range breeches (I hate the feel of jodhpurs around my skinny ankle bones!) with thermal leggings underneath and often waterproof over-trousers (Berghaus ones). On the top half, it’s usually long-sleeved T-shirts with a thin quarter zip fleece (cheap Mountain Warehouse ones usually), a gilet and Horseware blouson jacket. (I Have 3 as bought them when they were ending the style because I like them so much).

In the summer, it’s the same, minus the thermals and waterproofs and coat.

I tend to buy online mainly.

I think there’s a gap for men’s riding jeans. (As in not tight jodhpurs or pleated old-fashioned breeches). OH has a few pairs of the one style he managed to find. They look like normal jeans with a bit of a boot cut leg but with hidden boot straps underneath so they don’t ride up and a full riding seat that’s you don’t really notice. The only thing is that these ones tend to shrink in the wash so he had to buy about three sizes too big!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
1. What clothes do you tend to wear to the yard incl footwear

Depends on time of year.

For riding: breeches or riding leggings. I'm currently living in Decathalon, HKM & Ariat softshell breeches. In the summer I wear Noble Outfitters, Aztec Diamond or decathalon riding tights.

Depending on time of year then either long sleeved base layers, sports material vest tops, long/short sleeved polo shirts, sweatshirts, gilets & coats.

Today I wore Ariat softshell breeches, Nike base layer, HKM zip up fleece, Musto coat around the yard & swapped to high viz coat when riding.

Footwear: Derby House long boots if schooling. Ariat riding trainers & chaps if hacking. Dunlop wellies on the yard or Gallop country boots around the yard in winter. Often trainers in the summer.

2. Where do you tend to buy your yard clothes e.g. shop or online

Clothes generally online I buy online, but do use trade stands at big shows too.

I buy a lot of base layers/technical tops from sports stores, rather than equestrian stores.

Riding hats & boots, I buy in shops.

3. Do you think anything is missing from the equestrian sector clothing wise

I think other sports technical wear is streets ahead of Equestrian clothing & would love to see more on the market :)

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Im doing this for a college project so any replies usefull

Tia

1.... yard and stables are in my garden so occasionally pyjamas plus wellies, old coat and woolie hat! Usually wellies, trakkie bottoms, old sweatshirts and old coat and woollie hat.

2... wellies at local agricultural/ horse feed shop ( very cheap), coats and trakkies from charity shops, everything else as cheaply as possible and make it last as long as possible. I am still using a sweatshirt bought for my daughter over 20 years ago.

3...I would really like a hi viz jacket that has thicker waterproof sleeves and a lightweight body to wear under my air jacket and body protector

FDLady

Visit site
1) For both yard & riding I tend to wear the same things so - jeggings/jodhpurs/leggings all very cheap and thin - if its cold i'll wear tights underneath. This tends to be Primark specials alongside Shires or Toggi. For shirts i wear polo's or sleeveless polo's, particularly the horsewear irelands ones. A hoodie, either toggi or whatever i have lying around. If its chilly i wear a Gilet on top, usually horseware/noble outfitters/HKM. If its proper cold i wear a Ryedale fleece liner jacket over my hoodie. Footwear i either wear dunlop wellies or Toggi Trojan short riding boots and technical socks.
2. Shoes i get online as i always know exactly what make/style i want. I've bought the same toggi boots every year for four years... clothes are just when/where i see them and if the price is right. I do love a bargain.
3. As a larger chested (*cough* big boobed *cough*) lady it would be nice to see equestrian shirts/polos that are more roomy when it comes to their fitting or are slightly longer so they dont look like a boob tube once they've worked their way up while riding. Despite being a medium size in other clothing i seem to jump to XL as soon as i want something equestrian branded.

Junebug44

Visit site
Agree with Dubsie - a lot of clothing is just too short! I love a blouson, but for grim weather or yard work needs to be LONGER!! x

Caol Ila

Visit site
Fleecey breeches in winter and the cheapest non-fleece ones I could buy, probably at Decathlon, in summer. I wear tatty t-shirts and tatty hoodies, trying to keep it to ones too wrecked to be worn anywhere else. As far as coats go, the barn is where skiing and mountaineering gear goes to die when it's too knackered to be useful in the mountains. At the moment I'm wearing a ten plus year old ski jacket at the barn but in warmer but wet weather (so Scotland), I have a Gore Tex parka of unknown age. Footwear are a pair of muck boots in winter, spring, and fall, and a pair of old Meindl hiking boots and Outdoor Research gaiters -- again retired from mountaineering -- in the summer. I was too cheap to buy half chaps and figured old gaiters that aren't that waterproof anymore do the job well enough for my purposes.

McFluff

Visit site
Breeches and Ariat long boots, with merino wool socks. Use winter breeches if it is cold.
On top, after various layers of bra, I tend to wear my old merino (icebreaker) tops. Usually a vest, t-shirt and jumper. They get demoted to horses and skiing once too tatty for casual wear. They last for years (just had to throw out a jumper that I think I've had in regular wear since 2005!). I'm basically head to toe in merino wool - nice and toasty!
Usually a gilet, unless it is really cold, then I will add a jacket (tend to be Ariat).
I tend to buy online as local shops don't cater for my fussiness (what is the fad for those silicon seats all about - they really don't last - bring back the McCrown leather please!)
I would like to see better sizing - need to try and persuade bravissimo to do riding tops. One of the reasons I use Icebreaker is that I find that normal polo shirts are shapeless on me if I get them big enough to fit my boobs.

Antw23uk

Visit site
As a bloke I wear a pair of chino type trousers to the yard with my welly boots if I'm not riding and in winter a fleece and jacket, in summer a T-shirt. If im riding I will wear breeches with said welly boots and said tops and change into either a pair of short boots with leather chaps or my Ariat long boots for riding.

I keep my horses at home so I DO NOT get wrapped up in all this designer crap that everyone seems to be dripping in! All the gear, no idea springs to mind. I feel the same about matchy crap matchy. I wear my trousers till the crutch has gone so much that I'm bordering on arrest for exposing myself and I realised this morning I wear pretty much the same rugby fleece day in day out and wont know what to do with myself once thats decided to up and leave me!

Like most things 'fashionable' I tend to just ignore it and hide away and occasionally laugh, judge and be a little jealous at all the designer glad horsey folk but I'd rather look like a man tramp any day of the week than conform and spend my hard earned money making these equestrian companies rich! :)

sarahann1

Visit site

Harry Hall Winter boots, jean, various brands of tops (Primark through to Ariat) a body warmer and jacket all year round for general yard stuff. For riding I change into Tredstep long boots and breeches or riding tights, again various brands, I tend to buy what ever is on sale, I got great RTS Breeches for about 80% off once, my best bargain ever!

For competitions, either a Shires Tweed jacket, or plain navy jacket with either stock shirt and stock tie, or show shirt and normal tie depending on the competition I'm riding at, always wear beige breeches, never white.

Mainly online, though quite like to stock up my riding wardrobe when I'm at Blair Horse Trials and I'm ever so slightly obsessed by the padded jackets currently on sale in Primark. I sometimes buy from our local tack shop if they have something on sale that I like.

Reasonable prices - as soon as you add horses into the equation, everything seems to have ££ added on.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site

Muck Boots/ Ariat Glaciers on my feet, I have lots of boots but these are my current go to's depending on whether I need to wade through mud or not. Leggings/breeches (or whatever I've worn to work :eek:), depending if I'm riding or not. Generally wear a t-shirt/ long sleeved top / base layer, with a jumper over the top then a gillet or coat :eek: I hate being cold so love layers!

Online mainly, only really buy breeches from equestrian shops and everything else from supermarkets, primark or outdoor shops.

Competition wear is all equestrian branded.

For me it is better quality for more sensible prices, the reason I don't buy equestrian brands is that they are generally much worse quality for the 'same' product but vastly more expensive than I can buy at primark, supermarkets, outdoor shops. Boots especially are a nightmare with worsening quality but skyrocketing prices... If I spend a lot of money I want it to last!

OldieButGoodie

Visit site
WINTER
Morning - nightie/long t-shirt, jogging trousers, long Wacky Sox socks, Jack Murphy 3/4 length jacket and Grub Frostline boots. On my hands I wear waterproof rubber outer, fleece lined work gloves. If its very cold I wear a hoodie over the nightie and a headband.
Evening if riding - sports bra, polo shirt, fleece lined breeches, long socks, long leather riding boots.

SUMMER
Morning - polo shirt, thin jogging trousers, long Wacky Sox socks (they are great winter or summer!) and muck boots.

Evening if riding - sports bra, polo shirt, very light 'summer' breeches with vents, light half chaps & jodhpur boots

Nope

Adonissaan

Visit site
I always wear joddys usually just cheap black ones with Dublin country boots when I'm not riding and shires boots and chaps when I'm riding.

A normal e.g. Nike t -shirt and a jumper over that and another water proof after that dependant on weather.

I wish there were boots that were half sizes :( In the summer I usually just wear a plain t shirt and leggings!

pansymouse

Visit site

If I'm just doing yard jobs and not riding - scabby joggers, a retired and very elderly riding coat and wellies

Primark if I can, I'm looking for cheap and washable.

No it's massively over served. People need to focus on getting on their horse and riding it not parading around in the latest gear.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
am I the only one waiting for someone to say the do their horse's naked? :eek3:

1) tracksuit bottoms, wellies, top half depends on weather thermals or a tshirt. If riding I wear boots for riding in.
2) either shop or online, depends what it is, if its thermals/tech sports top usually online, joggers usually from M+S as they fit and last, I use them for other stuff before they become yard clothes.
3) no, the recent concept of riding skirts is beyond me.

{97702}

Visit site
Im doing this for a college project so any replies useful

Same as everyone surely? :D Polo shirt, hoodie, jeans if not riding or breeches if I am riding. Wellies around the yard (none of them last, so the cheaper the better) and long leather boots when riding

Online - mainly second hand :D

Nope, although doubtless the next fad will come along soon and everyone will get it :p

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
1. As I go straight from work, whatever I’m wearing for work, so maxi skirt, smart trousers, Doc Martens. I might go mad and swap into Ariat yard boots. When I was riding, it would be jods, jod boots, chaps, Joules polo or personalised sweatshirt from eBay seller with horse’s name on (hey, I wasn’t allowed to ride as a child, I’m still getting over that!)

2. Mostly online but I’ll buy clothes if I see them in a shop. Shoes/boots I usually buy in a shop cos I’m a funny wide fit.

3. Yes! Extra long jods for tall people that don’t ride up. I used to forget my chaps half the time, sinner, I know.

DappleDown

Visit site
1) Winter, typically:

Leather strapped Breeches from Harrods (don't like them much but the darned things just NEVER wear out)
Mountain Horse long leather boots
YSL fleece
Mark Todd Jacket

Summer, same sort of thing, less layers.

2) In the shop or online.

3) Not at the moment.

Last edited:

Counterpoint

Visit site
Breeches - cheapest of a particular brand online
Fleece top from Aldi/local feed shop/supermarket/2nd hand
Down filled gilet - ebay
Warm socks - farm shop (Jeep Brand are my fav atm)
Ski Jacket - Ebay
Walking boots - Amazon

Summer use a cheap polo shirt (fruit of the loom from Amzon)

Would like good quality basics, don't need fancy and don't want to pay for a designer label. Musto used to be good but now too trendy for example.
Basic prices - these clothes will get trashed they don't need to cost the same as a saddle!
Sensible sizes, I am a size 12-14, according to the coats at a tack superstore I visited I'm XL or XXL.
Zips on coats/gilets from bottom up as well as top down.
V necks and half zips - really don't like crew/polo neck.
Brown, darker green, grey colours (Everything is either random bright colours that clash with each other, or Black/Navy)

mums the groom

Visit site
Jodphurs from Decathalon fabric in summer and in winter they do a really good waterproof one that aren't the earth, T shirts from Primark and Rydale sweatshirts, either a wax jacket if not cold or Toggi Coat if freezing. Always wear leather gloves - ranch gloves from the states (last years holiday buy). Shires leather boots for yard & riding and thermal socks.

mostly bought from shops or county shows or your Horse Live
would love a reasonably priced waterproof jodhpur in show colours & white especially for children, fed up of sitting on a horse in a line up with it raining hard not being able to move and get soaking wet.
Used to have a pair of demin jodphurs that had zips in them at the bottom so when finished riding you could unzip them and they looked like normal jeans, they were very handy for quick rides before school pick up without looking like the mad horse woman (although most at school now know I am )

Annagain

Visit site
Depends on what I'm doing there. If mucking out before / straight from work, work clothes with jogging bottoms, hoodie/ coat over the top. If riding, jods, t-shirt and sweatshirt/hoodie with either waterproof jacket or soft shell jacket over the top - no particular brands, whatever's cheap when I'm looking. Footwear - Wellies in winter (Aigle), walking trainers in summer.

Jodphurs from Aldi. T-shirts and sweatshirts/hoodies from anywhere where they're cheap.

T-shirts - as in loose baggy round collared t-shirts. Everything is a fitted polo shirt these days. I feel very restricted in them and much prefer a looser top without a collar

LeneHorse

Visit site

If I'm just doing yard jobs and not riding - scabby joggers, a retired and very elderly riding coat and wellies

Primark if I can, I'm looking for cheap and washable.

No it's massively over served. People need to focus on getting on their horse and riding it not parading around in the latest gear.

totally agree.
The only things I won't economise on are riding hat and boots - everything else comes from supermarket or charity shops.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
1. River boots with fluffy tops
2. The strangest things ever - whichever top I fancy and haram pants, leggings, jeans, jodhs or often my work dress that day (washed straight after - I’m on full livery so no chores!)
3. Reasonably priced clothes - I cannot understand why a t-shirt is £30/40 Just because it’s an equestrian brand!

MuddyMonster

Visit site

Whose to say you can't do both though? I'm the first to admit I like branded horse gear & like to look vaguely 'nice' (loosest intepretation of the word!) whilst getting mainly cold & wet in the dark, but I also ride 6 days a week (far more than a lot of people on my yard - not that it matters two hoots how often anyone rides) and get up at silly o'clock every day to look after my horse.

Enjoying putting on nice riding gear to co-ordinate my horse is hardly 'parading around' and if it helps make winter a bit more inspiring, well where's the harm? :)

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I downgrade my ordinary clothes to become riding clothes when they look shabby.

To those complaining about price of horsey brands, when was the last time you bought a non-horsey "high street" brand top/jeans? £30-50 for a top and £50-70 for jeans is ordinary, not expensive. There are cheap as chips horsey brands on a level with Primark/New Look etc fashion stores.