Coloured Horses - does nature ever get it wrong?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Is it just that beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I do not think I have ever seen a coloured horse that I have just gone "urgh" that looks a mess - wondered what anyone else thinks?

[59668]

Visit site
Are you joking?! How bloody rude. My boy is gorgeous.

20121229_113615.jpg

Enfys

Visit site
Oh I have seen plenty that I think would look better solid. Some markings fool the eye and make a good horse look awful.

ConnieLove

Visit site
Are you joking?! How bloody rude. My boy is gorgeous.

20121229_113615.jpg

Seconded :D he is lovely!

I've a soft spot for coloureds, especially the more unusual the markings are, also white faces. And wall eyes. My OH is quite picky, he only likes non-piebalds and they have to be pretty evenly marked. And the less white on their face, the better. He also doesn't like roman noses. I love them :D

I guess it's just what you say, beauty in the eye of the beholder.

3Beasties

Visit site
I have seen some URGH coloureds, some just don't float my boat at all, either markings wise or the way they are put together. Same can be said for other colours IMO. Just because I don't find a house attractive though it doesn't mean everyone will.

TheoryX1

Visit site
I have a huge soft spot for coloureds, especially pretty little skewbalds with long white stockings and dark brown heads. Have to admit not overly keen on wall eyes, but if everything else ticked the boxes it wouldnt matter.

Thingstodotday - your cob is gorgeous. However, one small tiny thing, if he had a nice chunky bridle on he would look even scrummier.

Crazycob06

Visit site
Silly question is my mare classed as coloured? I bought her as blue and white but someone tried telling me she is blue roan?

link

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Sorry folks but in a long career I horses I have only met one I loved and even then was what a pity he's coloured .
I don't get why people love them.

Moomin1

Visit site
I'm afraid the majority of coloureds just don't do it for me either.

There has probably only been one or two I have seen up for sale which I have thought, if I was looking for another horse, I MAY be tempted to look at. They have been warmblood types, though. Coloured cobs really don't interest me at all.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I love coloured if they are the type I like. Otherwise I like them no more than a solid one of that type.

I have three coloureds and a palomino which I think is just the right ratio :D

Crazycob06

Visit site
Really not getting on with this photo bucket thing!

code

Lets see if I did it this time!

If not i will give up and leave you all be! Lol!

cptrayes

Visit site
I've seen one that was all white apart from one ear. The woman who bred it to show with was so disgusted that she gave it to her granddaughter, but heck the game little thing can hunt with the best so who cares, I guess!

Fools Motto

Visit site
I've seen a few who have been had the mis-fortune of having ''bad splodges'', but saying that, not many if you take away the colour and look at the type.

Back in the early 90's I had a 13,2 pony, who was badly marked and had a big head - or was it a short neck which made her colour look worse! Anyway, she was a good pony, but definitely didn't get the 'colour' right! (and she sounded like a donkey when she neighed!!)

Crazycob06

Visit site
Oh! I didn't think about her greying out! That's a shame, I love her markings! She is only 6! I hope she doesn't loose them too soon!

Littlelegs

Visit site
I've met some with less than lovely confo that fooled people into believing they were well put together, purely because they had lovely markings.
Also the most unattractive horse I've ever met was a coloured cob x tb. It had a humongous cob head with roman nose, full beard & tash. Long thin tb neck. Very long in the back with tb quarters but huge cobby shoulders. Short legs with chunky cob joints, but narrow tb canon bones, & very long sloping, but wide pasterns. And even temperament wise it combined the less desireable stereotypical aspects of both. Eg bolshy & backwards thinking, but easily spooked, when it would then remain stressed for ages. Also had cob like tendency to walk through fences etc, with a more tb like quality of injuring itself doing so. It really was neither use nor ornament, but had 'pretty' markings.

risky business

Visit site
There not really my type full stop :eek: so markings don't have a lot of meaning to me.

Iv only ever really seen a few coloureds that iv liked but each to there own.

Starzaan

Visit site
I'm quite picky about coloureds... I like minimal white, ideally no white at all on the face, and I love nice white legs. In my opinion (totally biased) my youngster was the MOST beautiful coloured in the world. He was marked in exactly the way I like them, and was essentially, perfect.

196456_10150114232055728_4480187_n.jpg

188438_10150114231845728_5349449_n.jpg

kai1.jpg

I like most coloured horses, but I would only own one with minimal white.

Last edited:

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I have seen a fair few ugly coloureds. I don't like cobs full stop though, no matter what colour they are (sorry- personal preference!).
Saying that, my girls a coloured and I don't think she's ugly, wall eye and all!! She is a WB type though. (Rubbish pic, on phone so can't get a confo pic!)
100_3946.jpg