Coloured horses

which would you hire?

• Total voters

Theresa_F

Visit site
Adore them - have only had coloured for the past 4 years and yesterday our new clyde arrived who is a chesnut sabino.

One of the reasons for the choice is probably that a lot of the gypsy cobs which are my personal favorite breed are coloured.

dieseldog

Visit site
I don't mind them, I have owned one in the past before they were fashionable. I probably won't buy another one as they seem to be a bit overpriced and I would rather spend my money on ability.

KatB

Visit site
I like them as they are all slightly different and seem to have a pony quality to them which makes them quite clever!! Both of my horses have been coloured, but the first one I didnt buy because he was coloured, and the second one I brought because he was a nice horse over and above being coloured!!

birchave0

Visit site
don't really care one way or the other, a good horse is a good horse no matter what colour he is
smile.gif

One thing this does get on my nerves is the amount of classes at shows though
frown.gif

It doesn't matter where you go there will always be at least four classes for coloureds, and if you happen to have a non coloured youngster who just needs an outing in hand you struggle to find anything
crazy.gif

I myself have considered setting up the "chestnut horse association" we can have best chestnut in hand, best ridden, best native chestnut, etc,...... anyone interested???
tongue.gif

LMAO
grin.gif

vennessa

Visit site
I am very much a coloured fan.
My old mare i have owned for 26 years is a black/white 3/4 thoroughbred. When i bought her they were looked down upon. She turned into a showing star as she took on the thoroughbred side and was different in those days.
We recently bought a coloured for my daughter. Bought for what she was but coloured was a bonus (mahogany bay/white).
We are currently showing a traditional coloured cob who is doing brilliantly. He will be broken to harness.
I do prefer black/white.
We currently have 5 colourds in various breeds/types.

Persephone

Visit site
I think they are ok, doesn't really float my boat but if they can do the job, fine.

I personally wouldn't want to own one because of the scary amount of coloureds that seem to get stolen. I do think it increases your chances of them going missing.

I suppose that just goes to show how many people do really like them though!

Jo x

Quarrybank

Visit site
I do love coloureds, but I wouldn't buy a horse just because it was. I have a piebald & a chestnut. Spider (my piebald) I would have bought whatever colour he was. The fact that he's piebald, I just see as a bonus.
smile.gif

I hasten to add that there are times when they both come in having rolled, that I wish he was chestnut like Q.
grin.gif
grin.gif

abb123

Visit site
not really that interested in them. If they were the right horse for me irrelevent of their colour then I would buy one but wouldn't go looking specifically. I would also be too worried about them beeing stolen.

pocket

Visit site
I had a nice little piebald, but unfortunately had to sell him on when I moved yards, as over horsed. I would most definately get another one if money and time was not an option
grin.gif

nikkiportia

Visit site
I have a coloured at the moment, but didn't get him because of his colour, more because he was what we were looking for. I wouldn't really mind what colour he was. Although to be honest I would rather have something that was easier to keep clean!

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I had a little coloured irish mare to hunt last season and she was an absolute machine.

I used to hunt another big coloured horse who, again, was an amazing hunter and would jump anything.

Have any of you noticed how coloured horses really pick up their front legs jumping?!!

ashbank

www.ashbankequestrian.co.uk
I have some coloureds and I breed using some coloured horses, but I would never put colour above quality. The coloured stallions that I use are the likes of Sambertino and Utah van Erpekom - and I don't think anyone would argue that these horses are entire purely because of their colour!

I also have coloured stock by Gribaldi, Stravinsky and Sandreo - again, top quality stallions from decent proven competition stock.

Drummer

Visit site
I love them!! I have a blue and white, so have the best of both (grey and coloured!) but he isn't marked very well. The only horses that catch my eye are greys and coloured horses really. I used to have a bay roan so would love a colored one of those next please!!

Foxfolly

Visit site
Had a beautiful blue and white mare who appeared on TV in 'Only fools on horses' after I had sold her! She was great, so sweet had a hell of a pop on her I only sold her as I was skint and she was a bit small for me, I would have kept her if I could she was such a lovely girl!!
Also we have a gorgeous skewbald foal born this year!!

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
the colour has to be the bonus, not the point!

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfectly put!
I do think most coloured horses do have a pony quality though, it makes them quite clever and fantastic XC or hunting!
My boy is perfectly marked, but I would of had him if he was any other colour, although I do think he wouldn't be half as handsome if he wasn't coloured!
grin.gif

saz5083

Visit site
I have one, but I bought him because he had something about him that made me believe he would be a star, being coloured is just a bonus.
grin.gif