Colt behaviour?

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Hi! First time posting...
Background: Orion is a tall 10 month old colt! (Approx 14.2 at present).
He’s currently stabled 24/7, and I know this isn’t ideal, it is not permanent. When I got him at the end of January he was unhandled. It took me two weeks to get the headcollar on him safely in his stable. (He is very flighty and was so nervous - I didn’t want to push it). Honestly it’s only this past week where he is finally letting me put the headcollar on as I would the others, so I’ve left him in to make sure he’s hapoy to be caught. I fear I’ll turn him out and that’s it I won’t catch him again haha. Also our fencing is being sorted in a couple of weeks. He is due to be gelded next week. Has a elderly pony as a stable friend with him at all times. He seems very content! I take him for walks daily. My question is... when I walk him he almost every day at least once will explode and flybuck, throw his legs around and run off. I put him on a lunge for this reason only so that I have a longer line to hold on to (I don’t want him learning he can be a tit and get away from me) or I can distance myself abit when he’s throwing himself around. Do you think this behaviour will eliminate when he is turned out in a few weeks? I think it’s a mixture of hormones and also that he just wants to run and play. Anybody agree? Am I worrying for nothing? Also any tips for picking up his back feet would be greatly appreciated, with his size when he waggles his legs it’s very daunting!

Leo Walker

Visit site
You need to get him turned out. I'm a bit surprised hes no much worse! Its a good idea to stable initially but only for a week or 2. Get him turned out in a smallish paddock with a really friendly companion and it will be fine. He will probably go back over at first but give him time and let the other horse show him that people are nice.

With the feet picking up its just repetition. Dont lift the foot too high and dont try and hold it for too long. Start with lifting it a few inches and straight back down and build up from there.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
You need to get him turned out. I'm a bit surprised hes no much worse! Its a good idea to stable initially but only for a week or 2. Get him turned out in a smallish paddock with a really friendly companion and it will be fine. He will probably go back over at first but give him time and let the other horse show him that people are nice.

With the feet picking up its just repetition. Dont lift the foot too high and dont try and hold it for too long. Start with lifting it a few inches and straight back down and build up from there.

I know my situation isn't ideal. At present there are no available small paddocks that I would consider baby proof. Once I have had him gelded and vet has spoken to me in regards to healing ( how long it will take etc) I will be turning him out! When I purchased him it was to my knowledge that he would Be more handled than he was. I don't think I could touch him for at least 10 days when he arrived. In my head I planned that he would be out after a couple of weeks. Then we had an issue with fencing, typical! Wednesday is testicle D-Day. I really wish we had an arena that I could turn him out into.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
His behaviour is due to the fact he has no turnout, colt or not any horse would be exactly the time you should have had a better yard in place before buying him really.

Reactions: JJS

Kaylum

Visit site
A young animal needs to be able to move properly in fact any animal does. He also needs to be able to play with young stock.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You will absolutely HAVE to be able to turn him out when he is gelded or else he will swell up like a balloon and be in a lot of pain, not to mention likely to get infected: the incision has to drain freely. He's lepping around because he need exercise.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You will absolutely HAVE to be able to turn him out when he is gelded or else he will swell up like a balloon and be in a lot of pain, not to mention likely to get infected: the incision has to drain freely. He's lepping around because he need exercise.

This, all day.

SpotsandBays

Visit site

As said above I will go with what the vet tells me to do.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
His behaviour is due to the fact he has no turnout, colt or not any horse would be exactly the time you should have had a better yard in place before buying him really.

As I said above I know my situation isn’t ideal, and a lot has changed but I’ve had to deal with that. He is kept at home

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Of course, I completely understand.

What was the reason for you posting again???

I just wanted peoples opinions on whether they thought his behaviour (like I was thinking) was due to lack of turnout. I know he wants to go out and play etc. I’m just worried is all.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
If you keep your horses at home is there any reason why you couldn't have put up a small electric fenced paddock for him? Even if it was 20x20 it is a better solution than keeping him in 24/7.

It was always my understanding that young horses and electric fencing doesn’t mix. They don’t understand it? Also seen some nasty accidents with foals and electric tape..

Pinkvboots

Visit site
As I said above I know my situation isn’t ideal, and a lot has changed but I’ve had to deal with that. He is kept at home

If his at home just put up a small paddock of electric fence and put him out, keeping him at home is probably the best option you have available, I can't understand why you have kept him in, put a field safe headcollar on him if you think you will have trouble catching him.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It was always my understanding that young horses and electric fencing doesn’t mix. They don’t understand it? Also seen some nasty accidents with foals and electric tape..

Just put him out when you can keep an eye on him at first, make sure it's got a good zap from it and do 3 strands if necessary, far better than keeping him indefinitely.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
If his at home just put up a small paddock of electric fence and put him out, keeping him at home is probably the best option you have available, I can't understand why you have kept him in, put a field safe headcollar on him if you think you will have trouble catching him.

Had some fencing issues which are being sorted Monday. I guess I’m just worried it will all go wrong. Also was told by various people not to put babies with electric as they don’t understand and could run through it. I worked at a stud as a young teen and saw the injury on a young foal after he got stuck. Wasn’t a happy ending

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Just put him out when you can keep an eye on him at first, make sure it's got a good zap from it and do 3 strands if necessary, far better than keeping him indefinitely.

But yes I’m sorting the fencing Monday and with the vets go ahead he will be turned out as soon as I can. I really didn’t want to keep him in as long as I have! 😔

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Had some fencing issues which are being sorted Monday. I guess I’m just worried it will all go wrong. Also was told by various people not to put babies with electric as they don’t understand and could run through it. I worked at a stud as a young teen and saw the injury on a young foal after he got stuck. Wasn’t a happy ending

Can you run some fence from your stable block? You could make a small area next to the stables for him to go out in at first, even if it's just while your around mucking out and so forth, if it's got a strong zap he will soon learn about it and you will be there to keep an eye on him at first.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Can you run some fence from your stable block? You could make a small area next to the stables for him to go out in at first, even if it's just while your around mucking out and so forth, if it's got a strong zap he will soon learn about it and you will be there to keep an eye on him at first.

Good idea. I think I’m just being weird and over protective. Funny because I’m the least maternal person I know but when it comes to foals I just melt!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Good idea. I think I’m just being weird and over protective. Funny because I’m the least maternal person I know but when it comes to foals I just melt!

I bought a 2 year old colt years ago his 15 now, he had never seen electric fencing so I just did the same thing and he soon got used to it then eventually he had a huge field with electric tape on 3 sides and he was fine even on his own, his really respectful of it now won't go near it at all.

Just do it everyday while you can watch him he will probably just want to graze and be glad to be out he will be fine.

The Trooper

Visit site

I don't have any experience with youngsters, but surely the only way for them to learn to avoid electric tape is for them to get a good shock off it? It won't take him long to learn I wouldn't have thought, and if he's supervised until he's learnt to keep away from it i'm sure all will be ok.

LaurenBay

Visit site

Equally I have seen a horrific injury with a foal and post and rail fence. Youngsters are curious things, he will soon learn not to go near it when he gets a zap.

Turn him out with the elderly companion. Keep a close eye on them, they will be fine.

All Horses need turnout, but youngsters especially. It does them no good standing in, physically and mentally.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
UPDATE...
I turned him out today! Ran around for about a minute then straight to the grass. I walked him around before setting him loose and I got a swift kick on the arse. Probably deserved for keeping him in so long!
He did a Houdini with one of his man jewels so escaped the snip for another month! Cheeky bugger.