Comberton Clancy - is it true? :-(

irishcob

Visit site
Just heard a rumour that the lovely Comberton Clancy has been put to sleep? How dreadful if it's true, and my thoughts to the owners and connections.

He was such a stunning horse RIP

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Very sad. Not sure I understand why he's been put down due to recurring lameness if he won a class a few weeks ago? Forgive me for being thick and all that!! Does anyone know what was actually wrong with him?

miss_c

Visit site
Very very sad. :( Thoughts with all his contacts, what a stunning animal Clancy was, and fully deserving of a place in showing history.

Lolo

Visit site
Very sad. Not sure I understand why he's been put down due to recurring lameness if he won a class a few weeks ago? Forgive me for being thick and all that!! Does anyone know what was actually wrong with him?

Problems causing lameness are often fixable for periods of time, so arthritic changes resulting in hock injections or navicular being managed with careful shoeing. But eventually, the problems become harder than the solutions, or something happens that means the cumulative problems are too big and you have to make a really hard decision.

RIP Comberton Clancy.

Mithras

Visit site
Problems causing lameness are often fixable for periods of time, so arthritic changes resulting in hock injections or navicular being managed with careful shoeing. But eventually, the problems become harder than the solutions, or something happens that means the cumulative problems are too big and you have to make a really hard decision.

RIP Comberton Clancy.

You would have thought that a horse which could stand champion in a ridden class two weeks earlier and was only 10 would have merited a summer in the field at least, never mind a couple of years retirement.

Of course that might affect any insurance payout.

Rebels

Visit site
I know his owner, she is the type to really try with a horse, not a decision taken lightly. Also bear in mind other posts about horses injured in several limbs who the insurance won't pay out on as its field sound so to cite insurance is extremely judgemental unless you know the full details of the case?

Auslander

Visit site
Bearing in mind that his owners use this forum, I would respectfully suggest that people remember him for the lovely horse he was, and refrain from making nasty comments about their decision to let him go. It would be beyond cruel to twist the knife by voicing unasked for opinions when they have just lost their horse.

zigzag

Visit site
Bearing in mind that his owners use this forum, I would respectfully suggest that people remember him for the lovely horse he was, and refrain from making nasty comments about their decision to let him go. It would be beyond cruel to twist the knife by voicing unasked for opinions when they have just lost their horse.

So because they are members of this forum , people can't comment on the fact that he was PTS 2 weeks after a big show?

PC Steele

Visit site
So because they are members of this forum , people can't comment on the fact that he was PTS 2 weeks after a big show?

Of course people can but I'm sure it was a very difficult decision so a bit of respect wouldn't go amiss. I've just had my horse put down and it was he worst thing I have done in my life!!! These people need support not criticism

Auslander

Visit site

No-one knows the story, it's no-ones business but theirs,and if you think its ok to speculate and make nasty comments based on absolutely no knowledge of the situation - on a forum where the presumably devastated owners may read it -then I'm pretty shocked by your attitude.

WelshD

Visit site
Crikey have some tact!

Everyone associated with that horse loved him dearly and any decision would have been heart wrenchingly difficult

RIP to a beautiful horse

zigzag

Visit site
No-one knows the story, it's no-ones business but theirs,and if you think its ok to speculate and make nasty comments based on absolutely no knowledge of the situation - on a forum where the presumably devastated owners may read it -then I'm pretty shocked by your attitude.

No I don't think its nice to make nasty comments, but people will wonder why it was done so soon after a big win. But the way you worded it, no one can comment because the owners are members here? Yet knowing this forum as I do if a person wasn't a member here they would be torn to pieces and nothing would be said

Lolo

Visit site
You would have thought that a horse which could stand champion in a ridden class two weeks earlier and was only 10 would have merited a summer in the field at least, never mind a couple of years retirement.

Of course that might affect any insurance payout.

Sometimes that's just not possible for a horse. My old boy went XC one weekend, and the next was crippled lame. We did try and do one last summer of sun in the field, and I regret that hugely as he hated it and became very depressed. Some horses don't retire well, especially the big showmen types who like the parties- they see the lorry go without them and just shrink.

It sounds like I am humanising them too much, but my boy was so upset when the lorry went without him. Not in a 'I want my friend' way (he still had companions) but he just shrank into himself and stood in the field away from everyone. It was heartbreaking.

You cannot judge until you have the horse and the horse's full medical and personal history in front of you. So please don't.

Rebels

Visit site
I didn't know the owners were on here. I agree with Auslander, why does everyone jump to the worst scenario ie insurance money? Simply saying, oh, I wondered what happened, it wasn't long since he won is a lot more civil than insinuating it was an insurance money job which is what Mithras did.

Auslander

Visit site
No I don't think its nice to make nasty comments, but people will wonder why it was done so soon after a big win. But the way you worded it, no one can comment because the owners are members here? Yet knowing this forum as I do if a person wasn't a member here they would be torn to pieces and nothing would be said

I don't agree with people being ripped into when they aren't here to defend themselves either.

On this occasion, I particularly don't like the thought that his owners could log on here and see a load of spiteful comments about their decision to say goodbye to their horse. So Yes - I don't think anyone should comment, knowing that the post may be seen by the owners. It's called respect.

zigzag

Visit site
I don't agree with people being ripped into when they aren't here to defend themselves either.

On this occasion, I particularly don't like the thought that his owners could log on here and see a load of spiteful comments about their decision to say goodbye to their horse. So Yes - I don't think anyone should comment, knowing that the post may be seen by the owners. It's called respect.

And sadly that's what some people don't have, and people will always make comments,

Very sad and hard decision the owners had to make, one I had to make several times, and one I'm currently have to make in the next week.

Mithras

Visit site
I didn't know the owners were on here. I agree with Auslander, why does everyone jump to the worst scenario ie insurance money? Simply saying, oh, I wondered what happened, it wasn't long since he won is a lot more civil than insinuating it was an insurance money job which is what Mithras did.

Did I really? That's interesting...

Showing is in the public domain. Those involved presumably enjoy the public acclaim that comes from competing in front of members of the public, and in owning a famous horse. Therefore it is inevitable that fans of the horse will wonder how he was able to compete and win two weeks before either (a) developing such a serious condition that he had to be pts or (b) compete with such a condition. Presumably the condition rapidly deteriorated or he had an accident. Perhaps we will never find out as the owners wish to keep it private.

I also own competition horses, it is not a sphere limited to a select few. Turning away horses to rest from competition is perfectly normal, at least it is if you give them a varied life and condition them to turnout. Many show horses are turned out, and while there may be a few that genuinely cannot be, often all that is needed is a period of adjustment, or adaptation of existing facilities. I am sure the owners would have given him longer than a fortnight so can only assume there was some horrendous deterioration in the condition as no-one could possibly bear to pts such a beautiful, young creature without exploring every possible avenue.

SO1

Visit site
Sometimes things are reported in ways that can lead to people making assumptions, though I do agree the way it was reported in H&H news it does make it sound like the horse was sound enough to win a championship and then two weeks later in such a bad way that it has had to be PTS and that has happened very quickly; which normally means an accident, rather than a long term degenerative condition.

I suppose the lameness could have been over the last two weeks since the championship and when diagnosed it could turned out to be a tumour or something really horrible like that.

The owners must be sad to have lost a top horse and it must have been a difficult decision for them to have make, made worse by being in the public eye where reporting does not give the full story.

rachyblue

Visit site
A lot can happen in two weeks... only the people involved in the day to day care of a horse are in a position to comment on its health or lack thereof.

Have a bit of sensitivity people.

ruth83

Visit site
I have previously worked with Clancy. I do not know the exact circumstances surrounding him being PTS and have refrained from asking as the owners are clearly very distraught about the whole thing and it took one all her energy to simply say to friends that he had passed.
Usually I am not one for speculation BUT I wil lsay that this is a horse who DOES NOT box rest well, he becomes very highly strung and easily upset, damaging the stable and himself - especially if other horses are being worked or leaving the yard. Equally, he does not thrive in quiet parts of the yard. As has been said, he has had recurring lameness problems. At times this has required extended periods of box rest and turnout has not been physically possible (this teams horses winter out completely when on holiday so they are not averse to long term turnout where possible). If Clancy had gone considerably lame following his last appearance, with an issue which necessitated another substancial period of box rest, I can completely understand the decision to PTS.

If you dig around, it is easy to find out that several of this teams previous champions have gone on to new careers when their showing days have been over - The Philanderer was in H&H only a week or so ago for his successes in his new dressage career.