come on wee one!

stimpy

Visit site
Another exhausting night and still no blimmin' foal!

My girl really started with the wax last night and the wax is still there this morning and growing into nice stalactites. She also has milk splashes down her back legs so it can't be too much longer can it?

I haven't bothered milk testing today, the milk test said she was super-ready on Tuesday and we're still here 72 hours later.

I've never known if you do dates from first or last covering... If you take first covering then she's 359 days, last covering she's 351 days today.

This is a great thread, what would all us expectant and impatient mums do without it?! :D

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Sounds like she's going to pop any minute. Good luck! If it doesn't gross you out, taste the milk. If it's sweet she should foal inside 12 hours.

caberston

Visit site
Another exhausting night and still no blimmin' foal!

My girl really started with the wax last night and the wax is still there this morning and growing into nice stalactites. She also has milk splashes down her back legs so it can't be too much longer can it?

I haven't bothered milk testing today, the milk test said she was super-ready on Tuesday and we're still here 72 hours later.

I've never known if you do dates from first or last covering... If you take first covering then she's 359 days, last covering she's 351 days today.

This is a great thread, what would all us expectant and impatient mums do without it?! :D

surely it can't be too long now!!? mines been waxing, not waxing, waxing, dripping a bit of milk, then nothing, then a bit of wax, then nothing again..... :mad:

to be safe you take the date of the first covering but just have to accept it could be that she took on the last ...

stimpy

Visit site
Sounds like she's going to pop any minute. Good luck! If it doesn't gross you out, taste the milk. If it's sweet she should foal inside 12 hours.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the taste test this morning (must be my foalwatch brain). Yesterday evening it was just bland but I'll taste it later, thanks for the reminder Wagtail!

Amaranta

Visit site
Amaranta delivered a big bay colt this morning, sadly he was dead, she had carried him to day 365

crellow4

Visit site
When I saw you'd posted Amaranta I clicked hoping that the news was good, I like many people on here have followed your posts for days. I'm so sorry to read about your tragic loss. I really don't know what else to say x

Amaranta

Visit site
She also retained the placenta and it has only just come out, she is still trying to lick the foal, vet advises leaving the foal in with her until tomorrow, I will gradually start burying him beneath the bedding, vet coming out to wash her out again tomorrow :(

Very sad

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Massive hugs to you Amaranta, I hope your mare recovers well. A friends mare had a dummy foal last year (also a big bay colt) and dispite our care bottle feeding colostrum, heat lamps, rugs etc the little guy did not make it. That was heartbreaking enough so can only imagine how you are feeling.

More huge huge hugs, while there are no words that will make you feel better be assured everyone who has read this has thought of you, your mare and the little man and is sending you much, much love and good wishes. RIP little fellow xxxxx

SKY

Visit site
i am so sorry, i too lost one this year. its heart breaking. hope mares ok. big hugs for you. so sorry.

Amaranta

Visit site
Thanks so much everyone, have been in a bit of a bubble all day, feeling tired and emotional now, although Amaranta is quite bright and eating well, she is still going to check the foal every now and then but seems to be less interested, hopefully by tomorrow she will have accepted that he has gone and we will be able to bury him.

This is the first foal I have lost and I have to say it is not an experience I would want to go through again in a hurry :(

crellow4

Visit site
I had a still born foal 3 years ago - the whole experience was horrendous. My mare went on to foster a foal so we milked her until a suitable foal could be found. She was still very interested in her dead baby for the 3 days it took to find her foster baby.

Mega

Visit site
Big big hugs, we had a dead foal last year & although my mare is fine now I feel your pain. Take care of your mare & yourself xxx

alfiesmum

Visit site
so sorry to hear this news A.

i cant begin to imagine how your feeling, hope your mare is ok and you can get through the nightmare together, massive hugs xxxxxxxxxxx

Amaranta

Visit site
Again thanks everyone, the kindness of strangers is a wonderful thing.

The vet has been and washed Amaranta out again this morning, she seems to be very clean and things are getting back to normal. We took the foal away as she was eating her breakfast and she did not make a fuss, checked out where he had been but did not seem upset. I was a little bit worried about mastitis so we have her on a five day course of Norodin just in case.

The vet cannot believe how large this foal was but otherwise he looked very normal. I could have a pm done, but to me this would not bring him back and he will still be dead.

Still a little wobbly today but the other horses need looking after so in their own way they are helping too. I suspect A will get over this quicker than I will, I have been very lucky in the past and never lost a foal before so perhaps my turn had come. It is painful and at the moment I don't ever want to breed again, I am sure I will change my mind at some point but it is still too raw to even contemplate.

Please excuse my ramblings, but writing it down is helping me get my head around it.

stimpy

Visit site
I spent yesterday sick with nerves after Amaranta's tragedy. What a stark reminder of the lows that come with the highs.

However, I am delighted to bring some good news to this thread and tell you that my girl produced a beautifully chestnut filly at 2am today. After the difficulties of her pregnancy seeing her with her baby feels like a double delight :D

Clippy

Visit site
I think my mare might pop tonight, she's day 355 and had a bit of wax on one boob this morning...

Cherrygarden

Visit site
So sorry to read your news Amaranta, there are no words but ramble on and write down anything you need to, such a long journey with so much invested in it for you and your mare : (