Comfiest horses ever?

pistolpete

Visit site
Shamelessly stolen from the Arabs thread. Who was your comfiest ever horse? I mention Classic the Arab cross Welsh I think who was super comfy. The other one that stays in my mind was a Lusitano cross PRE I think. Little palomino chap on a riding holiday Lunares. So so comfy! He’s got a lovely home in the U.K. now I believe.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I've had a couple. They have been different breeds but had in common that they were beautifully built.

They were not too wide, good shoulder, not too 'thumpy' warmblood, had their own engine, had natural balance and manners.

Rather excitingly, I think that my baby horse may be turning into one of these.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Appaloosas can be very comfortable.

Our first Appaloosa was the comfiest horse I have ever ridden. We had no idea of her breeding but she appeared to be part Arab crossed with something heavier but not hairy. She was definitely not the easiest ride but she was certainly the most comfortable, she was also extremely sure-footed. We had her for 24 yrs and no one ever fell off her, because no matter how much she danced about, she always made sure that she was underneath you.

Peglo

Visit site
I find my new haflinger very comfy (old one must’ve been too as I never used a saddle) but I must admit when we were doing a fast trot next to my friend on her 16.1 cob-x-warm blood and I was rising twice for her once I wondered if she would be comfier ? I rode her the other day and she felt like a boat in canter so I will stick to my haffie. ? The very few times Tali has bucked it’s even comfy enough. I think my hips prefer ponies/narrower horses.

tatty_v

Visit site
My old boy is just the comfiest - everyone remarks upon it! 15hh, unknown breeding. Supposedly part connie but I just don’t see it. I’d guess some TB in there, maybe some welsh. He’s just like an armchair or a rocking horse!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
The mother in this picturegerpla and vordis.jpgA five gaited Icelandic mare with a relaxed loose rein smooth tolt as her gait of choice. She was so comfy I could ride for miles doing nothing but watching the scenery pass by. Like being on an armchair. On the hills she was the best ever, surefooted as a mountain goat and tireless.

Cloball

Visit site
Welsh section D called Bonnie who had an incredibly long back but you could do sitting trot for miles and a Heinz 57 ploughing pony in Spain called Dolly aka la sofa. She was smooth but also incredibly wide so perhaps not the most comfortable. You could side sideways though like a mediaeval lady.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I may get shouted at but many horses that feel like a rocking horse aren't using their back end properly? I agree with @Red-1, good confirmation, balance, and movement give a wonderful ride but its not like sitting in an armchair or on a rocking horse!
In one way you are correct, but the definition of "properly" is entirely invented to suit whatever equine sport of choice you are engaging in. The most comfortable horse I ever rode was a Tennessee Walking Horse that I retrained/rehabilitated from the horrors of Big Lick showing, closely followed by the majority of my PRE's. Conversely the least comfortable have been the best moving of my WB dressage competition horses, their extremely elastic and athletic paces and very active backs did NOT make them nice to sit on.

millikins

Visit site
I used to ride a friend's Arab when on livery many years ago. He was 7/8 Arab with oddly a bit of Exmoor. His canter was effortless, you felt he could just keep going for hours if he had to. He had lovely conformation and very wide.

dixie

Visit site
I can pinpoint two and both had a good lot of ID in them. One was a homebred but he “fitted” me as soon as I sat on him.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i found my welsh very comfortable. i miss her! current ride KPWN is like riding a spacehopper on a bouncy castle :p with a soft back it's more sittable but still tough on the old core muscles.

friend's highland was very easy to sit on. he had very horizontal movement so it took effort just to do rising trot, i never bothered when schooling him.

GinaGeo

Visit site
Pod’s an Anglo Arab. He glides along the ground.

I’m looking forward to riding him Side Saddle. Sitting elegantly on him should be easy. Certainly easier than the Connemara. Who favours a bone shaking big trot ?

Lady Jane

Visit site
In one way you are correct, but the definition of "properly" is entirely invented to suit whatever equine sport of choice you are engaging in. The most comfortable horse I ever rode was a Tennessee Walking Horse that I retrained/rehabilitated from the horrors of Big Lick showing, closely followed by the majority of my PRE's. Conversely the least comfortable have been the best moving of my WB dressage competition horses, their extremely elastic and athletic paces and very active backs did NOT make them nice to sit on.
Exactly - there is a difference between 'comfortable' and 'athletic movement' and your example of a Tennessee Walking Horse is an example of both (from what I know?). I've never ridden one but would love to. I've never ridden a PRE so have no idea how they can/should feel. The horse in my photo felt amazing but actually big movement takes quite alot of core muscles to sit on (for me anyway). Lucky we all like different types of horse, it makes life more interesting!

skint1

Visit site
My first horse, an (allged) ISH, was so smooth. My second horse, also an (alleged) ISH, like a jackhammer bless him, third horse, a full ID didn't ride her much but remember she had the smoothness of the first but with a lot more oomph and elevation which I was trying to get to grips with, hope one day I will ride her again and get there

Odyssey

Visit site
I used to ride a very well bred Andalusian, and couldn't believe that sitting trot could be so easy and comfortable. I rode an OTTB who had a wonderful canter. I remember cantering him across a stubble field on a beautiful summer evening, and felt like I was floating. It was one of those blissful, magical moments that you never forget. Thinking about lovely rides is really making me miss riding, I hope I can ride again one day if/when my health permits.