Comfy numnah recommendations

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
I need to purchase a new numnah or 2 and wondered if you had any comfortable recommendations, I like the idea of the sheepskin ones but haven’t used one so not sure if they are worth the extra ££££

Birker2020

Visit site
I've always preferred saddlecloths myself. Premier Equine have some lovely half lined sheepskin ones, if you want to save money there are plenty of cheaper versions on ebay or used PE ones that are for sale.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
I use Morpheus lambswool numnah and I also have the full gp Griffin ones I find they sit on the horse really well and my saddle sits secure on them. I’ve not used saddlecloths as my horse can be a little sensitive, havent tried the half wool ones yet but tempted too. I have been using the polypads through the summer as tend to be better on hot days and wash really well and dry quick.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Another that would recommend Nuumeds. They are natural wool lined and last years. Much easier to wash than actual sheep or lamb skin which can go rock hard if you’re not really careful. They last really well too.

I don’t rate PE they’re stiff as boards and slip. I regret buying one.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I actually have a big issue with wool lined numnahs - how many feel thick, hard, lumpy at the back? The horse hair works its way through the knitted backing and accumulates in the pad, you can't avoid it by brushing etc, the hair gets pushed through by the pressure of the saddle when you're riding. A couple of years of use and so often you've got to take it apart (?!) or ditch it, I now always suggest people check their wool lined pads, because even if they love them, so often they haven't realised what's happened to the back section.

I'm a much bigger fan of sheepskin and only recommend Mattes really, nothing else matches them, especially their shim pocket pads. I would always recommend a half lined numnah over a half pad, no matter how fashionable the latter. You will need at least two, or possibly something like a thin prolite to use briefly while you wash it. They wash and dry perfectly well if you do it right, they don't go hard. Mattes have their own leather detergent called Melp, machine wash cool/hand wash programme. Wool wash isn't the right product, and although LeMieux recommend it don't go using human hair conditioner on a Mattes!

However, what are you looking for from a pad? "Comfy" is very generic and actually very different for different people and horses. How well does your saddle fit? Does your horse sweat a lot? Do either of you have back issues? Does he/she change shape often?

There is a lot of hype, marketing and BS out there about pads, I will only use and recommend ones that are proven, too may "our fab new foam pad", you can't look up the performance of the foam (eg most memory foam is for where you turn over slowly on a mattress, why would it be good for sitting trot?!) so you have no real ide what you're buying.

Rant over.

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I use Morpheus lambswool numnah and I also have the full gp Griffin ones I find they sit on the horse really well and my saddle sits secure on them. I’ve not used saddlecloths as my horse can be a little sensitive, havent tried the half wool ones yet but tempted too. I have been using the polypads through the summer as tend to be better on hot days and wash really well and dry quick.
I too have 4 Morpheus ones, so sad that S is no longer with us.
I only use the lambswool showing cut one these days for annual breed outing, the others are not needed but are in pristine condition and put away.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Mattes have their own leather detergent called Melp, machine wash cool/hand wash programme. Wool wash isn't the right product, and although LeMieux recommend it don't go using human hair conditioner on a Mattes!

what does hair conditioner do to mattes? I’ve always used it successfully on a range of sheepskin. I’ve not washed the mattes.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I actually have a big issue with wool lined numnahs - how many feel thick, hard, lumpy at the back? The horse hair works its way through the knitted backing and accumulates in the pad, you can't avoid it by brushing etc, the hair gets pushed through by the pressure of the saddle when you're riding. A couple of years of use and so often you've got to take it apart (?!) or ditch it, I now always suggest people check their wool lined pads, because even if they love them, so often they haven't realised what's happened to the back section.
so much this.
knitted wool lined pads are definitely consumables IMO. Skin-on sheepskin is not too difficult to look after with a bit of care and solves that problem entirely.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I really like the Mark Todd ergo competition pads. They have just enough padding without being bulky , sit well on the horse and under saddle, have a vented spine and they wash very well.
I need a few more but they're out of stock everywhere at the moment , though.

Annagain

Visit site
I'm a big fan of the grifffin nuumed without wool. I don't see the point of having a saddle fitted and then altering the fit with a thick wool pad.

sbloom

Would the wool lining ads much in terms of padding to the saddle fit?
Certainly it adds a little bulk compared to no numnah, but the 5oz grade linked to is lightweight. It adds comfort, though.
Mattes are excellent numnahs, but are much thicker and more expensive (I have both).

Wool linings often aren't thicker than a good, felt lined cotton pad (the sort that will almost stand up on its own, the only ones I recommend), especially that 5oz one, and yes, Mattes are awesome, worth the money if you can afford it.

I'm a big fan of the grifffin nuumed without wool. I don't see the point of having a saddle fitted and then altering the fit with a thick wool pad.

Because you have the saddle fitted to accommodate the pad so you can gain the benefits from the pad. You should never willy nilly swap pad thickness, that extra padding will NOT mitigate the damage you have just done to the fit, which is where this argument you're using comes from, I wouldn't disagree on that front. And is why I asked the questions I did.

There are many good reasons for using a therapeutic pad and the "a well fitted saddle should only ever have a cotton numnah" is very very limited in its view. Sheepskin has a decent % of shock absorption, my non-scientific testing would indicate about the same as Prolite, it provides soft tissue expansion space (many bodyworkers are fans for that reason) and wicks sweat. The very best shock absorbing foams (not memory foams but Thinline, Poron XRD and d3o) are thin, barely affect the fit and absorb up to 95% of shock. Very very useful especially where sheepskin isn't quite the right solution.

sbloom

what does hair conditioner do to mattes? I’ve always used it successfully on a range of sheepskin. I’ve not washed the mattes.

I've never tried it as it's not advised. Why b*stardise another product not meant for the purpose when there's one designed to do the job, and probably isn't any more expensive....I reckon Peter Mattes would have a coronary if you proposed using human hair conditioner (which after all has nothing to do with leather, body lotion would be more relevant but I 100% would not recommend that either!).

Just use the gentle Melp (or other leather detergent) cleanser that would also maintain any warranty from Mattes, always follow the manufacturers instructions is the default.

It's a bit like using glycerine saddle soap, it's not the most damaging thing you can use on your tack, but at best it's not a great cleanser or conditioner and at worst it may have drying ingredients and certainly contributes massively to grease jockeys.

WelshD

Visit site
I use a courtlea sheepskin numnah for shows and usually a Snuggy Hoods pad for every day, the pony really seems to get on well with both of these. I have a few trendy le Mieux pads which are fine but don't wash or wear as well

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I've never tried it as it's not advised. Why b*stardise another product not meant for the purpose when there's one designed to do the job, and probably isn't any more expensive....I reckon Peter Mattes would have a coronary if you proposed using human hair conditioner (which after all has nothing to do with leather, body lotion would be more relevant but I 100% would not recommend that either!).

Just use the gentle Melp (or other leather detergent) cleanser that would also maintain any warranty from Mattes, always follow the manufacturers instructions is the default.

It's a bit like using glycerine saddle soap, it's not the most damaging thing you can use on your tack, but at best it's not a great cleanser or conditioner and at worst it may have drying ingredients and certainly contributes massively to grease jockeys.
Human hair conditioner is generally recommended for sheepskin care including non equestrian sheepskin. A bottle of supermarket hair conditioner is 60-90pence snd has brought everything I’ve used it on up beautifully soft and fluffy over decades. I’ve not yet used it on my mattes but I’m not seeing why the mattes would be different.