Coming here for a little bit of support - Today's the day PTS :(

StarcatcherWilliam

Visit site
Just wanted to send you big hugs. I lost my big, beautiful dressage mare who was only 7 years old, two years ago. I still get upset about it, she was a horse of a lifetime. Life totally and utterly sucks sometimes, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing by him so you should get some comfort from that at least. xx

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Think of things another way - he's done what most people only dream of and you can have those wonderful memories for a lifetime. He is now in pain and rather than just sticking him in a field to deal with it himself, you are taking control and making sure his life is not in vain. There are so many horses who just plod about until they die because the owners can't face the fact they are in pain. Winters hard enough without soreness. You should be incredibly proud of what you have achieved with this lovely horse, and what you are doing for him now. Don't forget, a vet won't put down a perfect horse for kicks - if they agree to it they are agreeing that it is necessary.

Have a good cuddle, have a good cry and then breathe.

More cuddles from me too. Take care of yourself.

danda

Visit site
So sorry to read this my old boy was pts just a year ago but he was 26 which in a way makes it easier than a young horse. Everyone is right in that it is the waiting between the decision and the act that really hurt, could I have done something differently down the line, is this my only option etc. after you know his pain is over and all the ifs and buts can be forgotten.

Luci07

Visit site
So sorry. Take your financial issues out of it. That is not what is driving this. You have tried all routes, including turning away and he is still unsound. Therefore, he is still in pain. I know you feel dreadful, but you really have done your absolute best for this horse and its a measure of how much he means to you that you are still struggling. Let your husband manage this and be kind to yourself and allow yourself to grief.

DW Team

Visit site
I could not read and say have a hug or two. Having only just one the same thing with my lovely grey. You know you are doing the kindest thing you can. Something we can do for our animals. Gallop free big feller as you go over the rainbow bridge. (((())))'s to you OP

The wife

Visit site
Hi everyone,

It's done... He went, just as I wanted him to, with a carrot in his mouth and kind words in his ears. When it came down to it, I was OK, husband wasn't needed and although it wasn't our 'usual guy', the gentleman was as fantastic as the normal guy is.

I am very sad about it but know this horse had never wanted for anything and had lived a privileged life, albeit a short one. that millions of horses will never know.

Thank you so very much to everyone for your kind and meaningful comments. I was having a real low point this morning... Made even lower on the way down to the field to bring him up by a horrid comment from a fellow livery which was really hurtful :( Can't please everyone I guess but I know in my head and now heart this was the right thing to do.

Thanks again, a hard decision made much easier by the support and kindness of you all - I actually do think I would have cancelled it at one point, had it not been for supportive comments on here. Even sister (his rider) said she wouldn't have been surprised to find I had cancelled it this morning.

x

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You have so done the right thing today. I hope you are a bottle of wine or cream cake person and have been able to console yourself a little.

thistledonicely

Visit site
You loved him best in the world and when he needed you most, you were strong enough to put him first. Don't heed the thoughtless, hurtful words of others - wrap yourself in kindness, hold your precious people tight and your head up high. You did the right thing. Thinking of you (((hug)))

PolarSkye

Visit site
I am so very sorry . . . but please know that you are brave beyond belief. Putting him first is the ONLY thing to do and I do know how hard a decision this is.

What a lucky boy he is to have you to love him and do the loving thing - I wish many more horses were lucky enough to have people like you in their lives/as their advocates.

Much love to you (and to him).

P

Brummyrat

Visit site
So sorry to hear this, most of us know how you feel - three years ago this month for me. You are an amazing caring understanding owner who has put your lovely boy's predicament above your own desperation to keep him going. That's all they ask of us so please don't feel any guilt. The sadness will pass I promise you. Sending my love x

kinnygirl1

Visit site
So sorry...but I do think you have done the right and kindest thing for him and I hope I could it for mine if/when I have to. Hugs and supportive vibes from me.