Communication from a vet: don’t know what to make of it!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
‘Please see the attached four photos of your darling heart, Zac, (sic) and his adventure here at (name redacted)

It has been our pleasure caring for your fur baby’

They sent us pictures of Zak clearly coming round from a GA. It’s very sweet, but I think I’d prefer an animal coming round to be left to do so quietly. I was taken aback at the saccharine language used! (No, they didn’t greet me as ‘hun’!) I don’t recall ever having an email from a vet before, so maybe this is how they all communicate?? ?​

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Umm..
we love cute puppies and kittens at work and regularly pass them round for cuddles, all animal mad but no way on earth would we send that email
thats barking mad ( see what I did there ??)

Ha, funny! Zak is not friendly, we warned them not to let him near other dogs then had to tell them again the second day (pay attention!) He does not like people looming over him. I think I’d let a dog come round from a GA quietly, personally.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
It’s probably co-ordinated by the recovery nurse- who’s job it is to monitor the recovery. It’s the most dangerous part of a GA so leaving them unmonitored to sleep it of wouldn’t be wise.
You do think sometimes they can’t win!

I think you’ve misunderstood. I’m not saying throw him in a cage and ignore him, just quiet monitoring rather than pose him for pics.

SOS

Visit site
I don’t agree with the email or language used BUT animals must be closely monitored when coming round from GA, it’s the most critical time for them. They can have a low heart rate from the drugs and be hypothermic, they have to have someone close by.

Rather than wind yourself up take it as a positive that he was on bloody good drugs (if he’s as unsociable as you describe) that were keeping him happy and chilled.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I don’t agree with the email or language used BUT animals must be closely monitored when coming round from GA, it’s the most critical time for them. They can have a low heart rate from the drugs and be hypothermic, they have to have someone close by.

Rather than wind yourself up take it as a positive that he was on bloody good drugs (if he’s as unsociable as you describe) that were keeping him happy and chilled.

I am far from wound up. Of course I want him monitored, I just don’t agree that posing him draped over someone is ideal.

I did wonder if I should mention the language, but I think they’re just trying to reassure owners and be nice. I thought it was funny, hence the post.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Ahaha. My friend had a dog and they had to phone him to come in when they were bringing him round as he would just try to bite the first available body as soon as he was even halfway conscious and they figured it was easier if it was him. Brilliant dog on the streets though. He'd be a walking lawsuit if still alive ?

It would make me puke but I would just have a quiet word. I once explicitly asked that no photos be taken of my dog eating/posted on social media when he was in kennels as he is really funny about things being pushed towards his face and is a bit guardy (but I know how to handle it).
And what did I see when I was in Finland.....ears back, hunched over, whites of his eyes showing, if his face wasn't in a bowl of food I imagine his teeth were stripped as well ?

chaps89

Visit site
I like our small animal vets and now we're (unfortunately) regular clients they speak to us normally - but when we first started going there they always referred to the cats as 'your darling little Frank' or 'your lovely Stanley' (who, in the nicest way I can say it, is not particularly lovely when it comes to vets, carry cages, needles, be it touched etc!) It was always in a very sweet saccharine tone of voice too.
I'm so glad now they speak like normal humans and don't mind saying things like 'his patience is wearing a little thin' ?

Maybe some people like this approach?!
Either way maybe a quiet word to remind them about over crowding him if you're concerned, otherwise I think I'd just let it slide and have a giggle (like you seem to have done!)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
A different vet once called me to come and sit with Bear, who was coming round very violently, throwing himself round, yowling etc. It was shameful, sitting on the floor reassuring him and trying to hold him! It’s bizarre, any other anaesthetics and he’s been fine. #shamed

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I like our small animal vets and now we're (unfortunately) regular clients they speak to us normally - but when we first started going there they always referred to the cats as 'your darling little Frank' or 'your lovely Stanley' (who, in the nicest way I can say it, is not particularly lovely when it comes to vets, carry cages, needles, be it touched etc!) It was always in a very sweet saccharine tone of voice too.
I'm so glad now they speak like normal humans and don't mind saying things like 'his patience is wearing a little thin' ?

Maybe some people like this approach?!
Either way maybe a quiet word to remind them about over crowding him if you're concerned, otherwise I think I'd just let it slide and have a giggle (like you seem to have done!)

I’m sorry you’re seeing the vet so often-what’s up with the cats?

I won’t be speaking to them, he isn’t going back there anyway and it would just make me sound like a right cranky owner! I just laughed at it, it’s so social media influenced!

It’s funny how with the equine vet, we moan together about what a pita the horse can be, but with cats/dogs, vets seem to be far more careful with what they say. ?

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I wouldn't use a vet again that sent me an email like that. I associate that type of language with people that don't make good decisions based on an animals welfare rather than a humans preferences. That might be totally unfair, but I know in my mind I'd have doubts going forwards.

Not that its likely to be an issue as I can't imagine either of the vets I use doing anything like that.

chaps89

Visit site
I’m sorry you’re seeing the vet so often-what’s up with the cats?

I won’t be speaking to them, he isn’t going back there anyway and it would just make me sound like a right cranky owner! I just laughed at it, it’s so social media influenced!

It’s funny how with the equine vet, we moan together about what a pita the horse can be, but with cats/dogs, vets seem to be far more careful with what they say. ?
Your last statement is so true...my equine vet never had any qualms telling me madam was, well, a madam! ? but that was why I liked her, she was very down to earth, pragmatic and straight talking, without being harsh.
1 cats hair is falling out and leaving sticky patches and the other cat has a horrendously upset tummy (unrelated we think!) and so far we are drawing a blank as to the cause.
I hope Zak is ok and on the mend?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Your last statement is so true...my equine vet never had any qualms telling me madam was, well, a madam! ? but that was why I liked her, she was very down to earth, pragmatic and straight talking, without being harsh.
1 cats hair is falling out and leaving sticky patches and the other cat has a horrendously upset tummy (unrelated we think!) and so far we are drawing a blank as to the cause.
I hope Zak is ok and on the mend?

Sticky patches and upset belly? Something environmental/food? Sounds icky!

The issues with puss cat-Zak are ongoing, but I’m not prepared to have major things removed before knowing if it’s actually necessary. (Call me weird!)

chaps89

Visit site
Sticky patches and upset belly? Something environmental/food? Sounds icky!

The issues with puss cat-Zak are ongoing, but I’m not prepared to have major things removed before knowing if it’s actually necessary. (Call me weird!)

The skin issues have been present ever since that cat turned up with us (he was a stray who adopted us and we tried to find his owners but no one ever came forwards so he stayed!) But they've just flared up badly. So we don't think they are related to the other cats digestive issues but, of course, it's not impossible either.

I mean that just sounds fussy not letting them remove bits without good reason ? (joking of course. I'm quite horrified vets would expect an owner to go with that, I'm all for trusting the professional with years of training/experience but sometimes they do seem to suggest strange things) Fingers crossed for you that you get a happier outcome soon.

SOS

Visit site
I am far from wound up. Of course I want him monitored, I just don’t agree that posing him draped over someone is ideal.

I did wonder if I should mention the language, but I think they’re just trying to reassure owners and be nice. I thought it was funny, hence the post.

Without seeing the photo I’m struggling to understand how you think they ‘posed’ him unless he was being worn like a stole. :p If he was on their lap he was probably there whilst he recovered rather than posed for a photo. That said it’s not something I’d do in practice as I’ve seen too many come round and bite, I like to be close but not trapped!

You’d be amazed the amount of owners that get annoyed if we DONT treat the animals like babies. Whether it’s not using the full name ‘princess tutu pom pom smith’ whenever talking about them or having a no nonsense attitude to said darling trying to maul our face off and the owner doing nothing about it.

I have to admit with fiesty cats, my absolute favourite, I do talk to them a bit silly. Normally things like ‘Sir please do not swipe the front of the carrier as I undo it’ or ‘Madam that’s a lovely song your singing but it’s a bit throaty’ as we take bloods and the cat is growling. I dont do this in front of owners as Id look mental and they may think I’m talking about them. :oops:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
It’s probably co-ordinated by the recovery nurse- who’s job it is to monitor the recovery. It’s the most dangerous part of a GA so leaving them unmonitored to sleep it of wouldn’t be wise.
You do think sometimes they can’t win!

They really can't win.

Of all of the things to get offended about, this wouldn't be one of them. I mean, they are trying to show that they care and give you an update on your animal. Do I despise the term "fur baby" sure, but some people use it.

Maybe the clinic got some feedback that this would be a nice touch. Or someone got the idea and decided to try it out/thought customers might like this. So what you, the customer, can do is give them feedback. Nicely. Say hey, I appreciate the sentiment and your efforts but I find it a bit -whatever you feel- and for me, personally, a quick phone call would do.

Done and dusted.

Of all the things I'd get uppity about at a vet clinic, this wouldn't be one of them.

Last edited:

SAujla

Visit site
Maybe it wasn't the vet but someone who works there and spends a lot of time on social media. I don't think it's that bad but maybe not quite as professional as you'd hope. I can see it being okay at a daycare or kennels or even a routine check up but not for an animal coming round from GA.

Imagine if a human hospital sent the same thing!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Honestly it would make me feel like they weren't taking whatever issue I had brought the dog in with at all seriously. ?

I do not think CT is getting uppity or annoyed. Personally I think it's a bloody weird email. ?‍♀️

Fortunately my rural, mixed practice is unlikely to go down that route! Hahaha I wonder what the farmers would think if they started getting emails like that about their cows. Or even their dogs.

I hope (your darling fur baby) Zak is ok CT.

Visit site
It’s a bit weird and unprofessional but perhaps the person that did it has just dealt with the world’s worst owner, demanding photos and slushy updates etc, who knows. It could also just be someone who is obsessed by social media and feels the need to post everything, thinking they are being lovely and kind about the stressful situation you and your pet is in.

Id also just casually mention to the practice, a phone call with an update is sufficient.

Ive always been a bit weirded out when they call you from the waiting room with your pet’s name and then your surname added and I am quite a smushy owner who has conversations with their animals ?.