Companion pony

Quarryview

Visit site
Hi, I currently have a just 21 year old very fit and healthy mare. Is ridden 5 days a week, mostly happy hacking, pleasure rides and a lesson every fortnight to keep us motivated. My query is this, I’m about to get a sole use field so I’m looking at getting a companion. There are horses in an adjoining field but they are stabled a fair bit too, so I wouldn’t want my mare on her own when they go in from their field. As my mare is very fit she’s not ready to retire just yet im not sure what age companion to go for. I know I will eventually want another riding horse and my current horse is staying with me for life. I had initially thought a little pony as a companion but I know I wouldn’t want to let her go either and I couldn’t have 3 horses when the time comes to look at another riding horse as I don’t have enough grazing for 3. Do I look ahead now for my next riding horse but that would mean less time to spend riding with my mare if I have another to ride. Im 50 so need to factor my age in too. Would be interested to hear other people’s thoughts on what to go for as a companion at the stage we are at now. Thank you in advance and would be interested to hear if anyone else has been in a similar position.

Quarryview

Visit site
Thank you, this has been crossing my mind whether to do this or not but does make a lot of sense. I don’t feel 50 but trying to think 20/30 years down the line and would I be fit enough then lol.

Cragrat

Visit site
if you got something truly small would it take up so much extra grazing?

Something elderly can end up being another drain on your expenses as they age further. A youngster, even if unridden for a few years, still needs a bit of time investing .

ETA buy a youngster and retire together in 20/30 years time :)

Quarryview

Visit site
Cragrat, thank you. Getting a youngster and then retiring in 20/30 years time together sounds like a plan. Wouldn’t want to reduce my current horses routine at the moment as it’s working really well for her but this option could work well. Time to spend with a youngster whilst still riding my oldie. A little mini might be an option as well but realistically only looking for one companion…..but you never know ?

Winters100

Visit site
Sorry to give a different opinion, but personally I would buy an already made horse. When you have more than one you may be surprised at how efficient you can become about exercising and chores. The reason that I say this is because I am a similar age, and I no longer ride young or difficult horses, because sadly I have realised to my cost that now when I fall I break much more easily. It is not that I think young horses are a particular danger, but they do have the tendency to surprise you from time to time, so personally I feel that it takes away an element of risk.

Quarryview

Visit site
Thank you Winters100, that is a very valid thought and we definitely don’t bounce as well the older we get. I think this is why I needed to post as I can’t decide which way to go, a small pony, a youngster or maybe something younger than what I have now but that would see my riding days through. Then it would be time management I suppose.

millikins

Visit site
I think I'd see how your mare manages with the company being next door first otherwise whatever you buy has to be able to be left when you ride your mare. A youngster might be too lively for her and needs input, an older horse might as others say have health issues. If a companion is needed, 2 very small ones may be the solution.

JackFrost

Visit site
I've been in your situation several times, and found that it is not always easy finding a suitable companion. So now I keep a very open mind about age, background etc and look more for temperament and how I think it will get on with my other horses.
Instead of deciding what I want, I look for what appears for sale/loan and consider that there are several categories that might fit the bill. You may end up with a lovely older non ridden, or it could be your next ridden project - what you are REALLY wanting is a horse that you enjoy having, gets on with your mare and doesn't come with its own baggage.
You are 50 ? so time is on your side.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I think I'd keep my eye open for a retired pony on loan or retirement livery. The pony club might know of one that is needing to retire from a local home. In that way if it has additional needs like prascend you can work costs with the owners.

oldie48

Visit site
I've been in this situation and advertised for a loan pony. I needed one that would fit in with my existing horse and wouldn't mind being on his own for periods if I took mine away for training. I'd do this then when you are looking to retire your horse or really step down the exercise, the loan goes home and is replaced by your next horse. I've never had any difficulty in people wanting to send their pony to me, the difficult thing is finding one that's suitable. I've had a couple of Welsh ponies, both did the job but were a lot of work to keep the weight off and a bit naughty about respecting fencing, an ex polo pony who was really sweet but too stressy if left in the field on her own and the easiest of all was a small very elderlyTB, who was actually my own retired horse, he was perfect.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
If you are really unsure about your future plans, go to one of the charities and get one on loan. Something nice and steady which won't mind being left alone while you are out hacking and which will be a good companion for yours when the time comes to retire her.

Then there is always room for a third.....;)
echo this
i have a couple of now-retirees from a charity, they are extremely low maintenance, one is 14hh and the other 15hh so they would make an ideal sort of companion in a scenario like this as they have very easy requirements wrt grazing (anything goes) and feed (none) :p Mine are here for life but the nature of a loan is that you get the flexibility should your needs change.

Squeak

Visit site
I'm in the same situation as you and didn't want to buy something when I didn't know what I wanted yet. I've borrowed some sheep and have been surprised how happy the horse is with them. Before this I don't think I really believed that other animals could fulfil their companion needs.

Quarryview

Visit site
Thank you everyone who has replied, lots of good advice and plenty to think about. It’s appreciated to hear everyone’s views. I had given thought to possibly a rescue pony too and during the day both would have company of 3 others in the adjoining field when they are out. The 3 in the adjoining field are stabled at night all year, whereas I wouldn’t normally stable during the Summer so this is why I think a companion would be a good idea for mine thinking about Summer evenings. I think whilst i was out riding the companion would have company of the 3 horses. It might well be an idea to see how it goes with the 3 in the adjoining field and I could stable at night too but from experience I know my mare does get upset if she’s the last one to come in which makes me think a companion on the same routine as her would work well.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
you could get 2 youngsters from a charity and once they are ready to be broken to ride they can go back. i would worry that if you get 1 companion it may not settle when you take your mare out even though there are horses next door, sometimes if its just 2 in the field they get very bonded

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
2 youngsters. I’ve had so many discussions about this! You need 3 so one is never left alone. One could be non-ridden/small pony, the other is your future riding horse.

catembi

Visit site
I loaned my PSSM quarter horse to someone wanting a companion for an older horse, on the understanding that he will come back when Nature takes its course with the older horse (currently 26 or 27). I also have a 15.2/3 PSSM ISH who I am hoping to find a similar home. In my experience, the bigger companions are less bother than the littlies. My Shetland is an escape artist & needs management to avoid super morbid obesity & my Dartmoor isn't much better.

Quarryview

Visit site
Thank you again everybody, lots more to think about. Not sure at this point which way to go, interesting to read about the sheep and how they worked as alternative companions. My mare is actually very fond of sheep and loves to stop and watch them when we’re out riding. I like the idea of seeing what is about when I start looking and to keep an open mind as to what might fit the bill, age, temperament etc. What is it they say, they usually come your way and find you at the right time or something to that affect.