Competing alone - equine rescue

Bernster

Visit site
This seems a bit morbid but I was talking about this to the OH last night and realised I'm not sure what happens in this situation - what do people do with their horse if they're injured and can't manage the return journey?

My OH does come with me at times but he can't drive! Useless I know. I also go out quite a lot on my own and in some cases on quite long journeys. I've read some great threads on here giving practical tips like leaving contact details etc., but what to do with the horse and lorry?

I have lorry insurance but that doesn't cover breakdown. I've seen a thing called equine rescue services for breakdown recovery and they transport your horse but that seems to cover a breakdown.

Ofc I'd hope never to be in this situation, and I feel a bit odd asking just before I'm due out on a xc trip, but these things need to be thought about beforehand really.

Tips, advice or experiences?

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I'd leave laminated contact details on dashboard, or hand a copy to show secretary.

Details outlining next of kin, and also someone who can be called to come and collect horse if need be. Although you'd hope that amongst the competitors / organisers at any show they'd manage to keep your horse safe / get it home. But better to be safe than sorry!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have breakdown cover on my insurance that will get horse home and lorry to a garage etc, it seemed a bit stingy to go without somehow :eek:

I agree it's a good idea to put things in place to help like contact details etc... but when push comes to shove, it will work out somehow. The horse world is full of people who are good at rallying round and sorting a temporary solution. Most show centres would put a horse up overnight if the rider was injured and there was no one to collect it, I remember at least 2 occasions where this has happened in recent memory and that's just dressage!

I'm always going out on my own... personally I know my OH would be able to drop everything and come in an emergency, and he has enough contacts around with boxes or trailers that would do the same if we were in a fix.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I have breakdown cover to sort the horsebox and horses out, but we push came to shove my lovely friends rallied round beautifully for me. When I broke my collarbone, one sorted Topaz out, another drove her and the box home for me (worth having anyone 25+ with permission added to the insurance!) and called my parents who took me to hospital. Really must get a contact sheet done and laminated though as that is very sensible!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My breakdown insurance covers getting my horse home if I am injured I think (NFU) but I do have a laminated sheet in the windscreen at shows with contact numbers, so I expect someone would drive out (OH probably) to collect personally.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Full rescue for truck and horses which includes stabling and full insurance on horses so if injured they go to nearest horsepital. Most events/shows have horse ambulance on site and a vet, certainly the County Shows and aff events. Local shows would have vet on call.

Laminated sheet in screen with contact details. Of course you can't taken it for granted but us horsey folk are generally very helpful when the proverbial hits the fan. I splattered myself years ago out hunting and ended up in A&E, no idea how horse got home but he did and my lorry was fetched a few days later. Worst bit of that disaster was the hospital cutting my boots down the front and not the seams, I was gutted !

I suppose on a morbid note, if the horse was fatally injured and you were in an ambulance the situation would just be dealt with. Lets hope we never experience that.

Bernster

Visit site
Helpful stuff, thanks all. Having asked the question and then realised that my insurance doesn't cover me, I feel like I need to get something sorted now!

I kind of assumed it would be a case of getting people at the event to help, and ringing round my friends, as OH is v non horsey so would be totally stuck! I'm glad we had the discussion though and I'll mention some of these tips to him too.

Agree I'd hope this is never an issue but it does happen so best to be prepared.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Like AA, I had a splat a number of yrs ago out hunting & was very relieved to find out after, that one of the hunt staff had not only loaded my box but taken the beastie home for me - to my yard, decanted the neddy & sorted all out!

Like others on their own, I have breakdwn and recovery (box and fuzzies) and a laminated sheet for the cab, it has not just friends contact info (also great if you phone dies when out and about!) vet info, every number for DH - but at the bottom there is the address details of my yard too.

All I ever do is let organiser of an event know I'm on my own, and that there is full contact details in the cab. Location of key to drive it changes in each situation tho.
Something to bear in mind if you lock up box prior to going off - someone needs to know where the key is!

One thing I don't do any more, is to blithely go off driving to park and hack on my own. Tho I'm happy to drive on own anywhere & meet people at other end.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Bernster - to add - my DH is as non horsey as they come! Even after 17 years :rolleyes3:
Has has managed once to sort me out after an event tho. I phoned him to come (he got a lift from mate).
Another competitor loaded my box for me inc the fuzzy, but on my instructions the fuzzy was to travel in the emergency headcollar and nothing else..
DH then drove box to yard, undid it once main gate shut & followed instructions to un-clip rope and let fuzzy come out. He was able to open the correct gate to let the fuzzy into a safe paddock, to be dealt with by a friend soon after. He then parked box up properly in the corner of yard.
DH was v pleased he 'managed' all on his own with the 'mad horse'.
Something I'm not keen to repeat, but he DID do it! :)

blackhor2e

Visit site
I have in the past couple of years evented alone up to Advanced level, not by choice alone I must say, although I do now have a great friend and groom that comes with me as much as she can.

For the times I have competed alone and fell off, nothing luckily has happened that meant that I could not drive myself home (more wounded pride than wounded).

I always let the organiser know that I am travelling on my own, and I would like to think that if the worst did happen and I couldn't take my horse back then maybe a fellow competitor would do as I would do for anyone else if they lived in my direction. I have always had breakdown and used it with NFU who are super.

So don't let it put you off being on your own, just make sure you are super organised, always have your phone fully charged and make sure you have contact numbers and addresses for anyone you would need i.e Yard Manager, next of kin etc in your lorry should a stranger that is helping you need it.

I think you'll find most of the equestrian community will rally round for you in any circumstance.

Bernster

Visit site
Bernster - to add - my DH is as non horsey as they come! Even after 17 years :rolleyes3:
Has has managed once to sort me out after an event tho. I phoned him to come (he got a lift from mate).
Another competitor loaded my box for me inc the fuzzy, but on my instructions the fuzzy was to travel in the emergency headcollar and nothing else..
DH then drove box to yard, undid it once main gate shut & followed instructions to un-clip rope and let fuzzy come out. He was able to open the correct gate to let the fuzzy into a safe paddock, to be dealt with by a friend soon after. He then parked box up properly in the corner of yard.
DH was v pleased he 'managed' all on his own with the 'mad horse'.
Something I'm not keen to repeat, but he DID do it! :)

Clever other half :) Not sure mine would be up to any of that, he generally sits in the car waiting for me to get ready, then comes and does the filming! Then he goes back for a snooze.

I have in the past couple of years evented alone up to Advanced level, not by choice alone I must say, although I do now have a great friend and groom that comes with me as much as she can.

For the times I have competed alone and fell off, nothing luckily has happened that meant that I could not drive myself home (more wounded pride than wounded).

I always let the organiser know that I am travelling on my own, and I would like to think that if the worst did happen and I couldn't take my horse back then maybe a fellow competitor would do as I would do for anyone else if they lived in my direction. I have always had breakdown and used it with NFU who are super.

So don't let it put you off being on your own, just make sure you are super organised, always have your phone fully charged and make sure you have contact numbers and addresses for anyone you would need i.e Yard Manager, next of kin etc in your lorry should a stranger that is helping you need it.

I think you'll find most of the equestrian community will rally round for you in any circumstance.

Am going to do my contact sheet today! Thanks.

Bernster

Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I've organised breakdown/recovery insurance with OHTO as mine didn't cover breakdown. Changed my lorry insurance so that anyone with the right licence can drive it. And sorted out my contact details sheet.

Feeling v organised. Now just hope to never need it!

bounce

Visit site
Check with your breakdown cover but there is a clause in mine with Equine Rescue Services:

In the unfortunate event that the member has been injured or hospitalized as a result of a riding accident or road traffic accident and are unable to continue with their journey, ERS will arrange and pay reasonable costs for the transportation of your horses(s) or Pony(s) back to your yard or any other destination within the UK.

As I always travel by myself this is very important to me as I have no one horsey at home to assist. I also have a laminated emergency contact sheet in the lorry and always let organisers know that I am by myself. I also tell the people that I am parked next to just in case a horse comes back to the lorry without me :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I have breakdown cover but it only covers if the trailer breaks down, not if anything happened to me.
I usually compete alone so if it's anything like XC then I always advise the show secretary of that and give them details of who to contact in an emergency (although I do of course appreciate that it's perfectly possible to fall off and get injured doing stuff that isn't XC!). My husband sometimes comes with me - I used to force him to come when I went team chasing as figured that was the most dangerous of all the things I did.
When I am alone, I give them my husband's number and my Dad's number. Husband can drive my company car (he's insured on it) but can't drive the trailer so he'd need to take my Dad with him if the horse needed to be taken home and I couldn't go in the car with him.

solihull RC once asked me which hospital I'd prefer to be taken to if I needed to go (ie local to them or local to home) which scared me to death!

Bernster

Visit site
Check with your breakdown cover but there is a clause in mine with Equine Rescue Services:

In the unfortunate event that the member has been injured or hospitalized as a result of a riding accident or road traffic accident and are unable to continue with their journey, ERS will arrange and pay reasonable costs for the transportation of your horses(s) or Pony(s) back to your yard or any other destination within the UK.

As I always travel by myself this is very important to me as I have no one horsey at home to assist. I also have a laminated emergency contact sheet in the lorry and always let organisers know that I am by myself. I also tell the people that I am parked next to just in case a horse comes back to the lorry without me :)

I think a lot of people may not realise their insurance doesn't cover rider injury. The equine rescue cover and similar is really useful though. I've gone with changing my insurance so anyone can drive it back, and therefore relying on friends family or helpful event folks to pitch in. But have also got breakdown cover but lots of em don't cover rider injury.

I have breakdown cover but it only covers if the trailer breaks down, not if anything happened to me.
I usually compete alone so if it's anything like XC then I always advise the show secretary of that and give them details of who to contact in an emergency (although I do of course appreciate that it's perfectly possible to fall off and get injured doing stuff that isn't XC!). My husband sometimes comes with me - I used to force him to come when I went team chasing as figured that was the most dangerous of all the things I did.
When I am alone, I give them my husband's number and my Dad's number. Husband can drive my company car (he's insured on it) but can't drive the trailer so he'd need to take my Dad with him if the horse needed to be taken home and I couldn't go in the car with him.

solihull RC once asked me which hospital I'd prefer to be taken to if I needed to go (ie local to them or local to home) which scared me to death!

Yikes, thinking about this is freaky enough, without someone asking about hospitals !!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I think out hunting you are more likely to get help because people mostly know each other. There was an accident last year and the rider was taken off to hospital and the horse was in our yard so the vet could look at it. Someone turned up with a lorry and took it back to their stables so they could care for it until the rider had recovered.

There have been some very sensible suggestions above. I know of a secretary of a dressage show (of all things, which proves that accidents can happen anywhere) who was left to deal with a horse when a rider was taken off the hospital and she was pretty annoyed that the rider had a) come completely alone and b) had no details apart from what was on the entry form. I think it was all difficult for her, judging by the heartfelt comments she made! I knew someone who always went to events by herself, ODE, everything, and shut her land in the lorry ramp and couldn't drive home, so although mostly things don't happen, just sometimes they do.

Dizzydancer

Visit site

What company is this please? Need to update my breakdown so would be keen to swap to a company who do the above for peace of mind

Sealine

Visit site
I usually go out alone and have the usual breakdown cover with RAC and PRP rescue. I keep contact details in my trailer including emergency contact details for my (non-horsey) husband and contact names/numbers of three horsey friends with horse transport who can be contacted in an emergency and the address and phone number of the livery yard.

When I had an accident out hunting last year and was knocked out briefly I phoned a friend. One friend came and drove me and horse back to the yard and another friend then took me to hospital for a check over. I had been out hunting with my friend's 15 year old daughter and someone else arranged for transport home at the end of the day for her and her pony. My friends all know I would drop anything to come and help them out in an emergency and return the favour.

Sealine

Visit site
Just looking at PRP's website and they do a Rider Rescue for £15 pa and it can be linked to trailer breakdown and rescue.

conniegirl

Visit site
I have in the past driven a horsebox with horses home for an injured rider.
My mother drove mine home as mine is a 7.5 ton and I drove the injured riders HGV back to her yard which was not very far from my house (I have full HGV license). I dealt with the 4 horses as best I could (popped them in stables, made sure they all had hay and water).

I have also come a croper at a show, My mother was involved in the same accident and both of us ended up in hospital (horse bolted, plowed me head first into the ground and then ran over the top of my mother).

The show center sorted everything, horse was caught, untacked and popped in a stable. Mother and I carted off to hospital. A friend of mine was contacted (I had been conscious enough to give them the pin to my phone) and her and her husband came, the show center helped load my horse, all his tack and then my friend drove the lorry back whilst her husband picked me up from hospital (mum had to stay in).
When I got home horse was fed, watered, mucked out and settled by the girls on the yard. I went back to thank all the people at the show center a few weeks later and did ask what would have happened if i hadnt been conscious enough to give them the pin to my phone, apparently the pony would have been looked after the same as thier full liveries until he was collected by someone with appropriate authorization, the lorry would have been moved to a more suitable place and then locked up with my tack inside it.

Horsey people may be some of the bitchiest you will ever know but when the chips are down and someone needs help someone WILL step forwards and sort stuff out, knowing that next time it may be them.

I would highly encourage everyone to have thier vehicles insured to be driven by anyone over the age of 25 (with appropriate license) as it does make organizing rescue so much easier. This goes for everyone, not just those who compete alone as I never compete alone but one accident took out both me and my mother!

Bernster

Visit site
Blimey conniegirl that is quite sobering, to take you both out on the same day! Great to hear of people stepping up to help. You're right, they know I'd do the same in the same situation, but I do feel better for having got more sorted out with this stuff now. I took out the PRP/OHTO cover in the end.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I rarely go to events on my own but sometimes do for training etc. so the same still applies I guess. I generally go to the same venues Ive been going to for years so they know me and would know who to contact should I have issues. It would be different if nobody knew me where I was going though, not sure what I'd do - leave a note of numbers in my trailer or car I guess.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
There's a lot of very practical and sensible advice on here, which I would take. But I know from experience (both ways!) that the horsey world is fantastic. I have "rescued" people in distress, and been rescued myself. I have had horses to stay when the owners have ended up in hospital, driven horses home for people, and had myself and my horse returned over a 70 mile journey after I came off in a race and had my face kicked. You will always be looked after, but looking after the practicalities as well is always a good thing.

SallyBatty

Visit site

As I am about to get my first box I have started looking into insurance and breakdown/rescue. After seeing this thread I thought I would just clarify it with Equine Rescue and this is what they have said back:-

"If you had an accident/injury, of course we would assist you (if you are a member). The horse would be recovered free of charge, but anything else would be chargeable."

AdorableAlice

Visit site

At least they are more on the ball than they were when I had an accident in their lorry park in 2005. On my own with a new horse, parked by that mound of earth they use on xc days. Just started to lead him, all 17.2 middleweight of him, down the ramp and a loose dog came flying over the top of the mound, spooked the horse who jumped left handed into me, pushed me off the ramp onto the concrete and jumped off the ramp himself. His near fore landed on my ankle whilst I was lay on the ground.

Somebody ran into the secretary to get help and it took them an age to come out to me and even longer to call for an ambulance.

bounce

Visit site
As I am about to get my first box I have started looking into insurance and breakdown/rescue. After seeing this thread I thought I would just clarify it with Equine Rescue and this is what they have said back:-

"If you had an accident/injury, of course we would assist you (if you are a member). The horse would be recovered free of charge, but anything else would be chargeable."

Thank you for clarifying that. I guess they would arrange a horse transport company to fetch the horse and just leave the lorry where it is. As long as my horse is home and sorted out that would be my main worry. I'd have to ask a friend to go and fetch the lorry home or just pay ERS extra. Oh the joys of being single and in a non horsey family :)

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Full rescue for truck and horses which includes stabling and full insurance on horses so if injured they go to nearest horsepital. Most events/shows have horse ambulance on site and a vet, certainly the County Shows and aff events. Local shows would have vet on call.

Laminated sheet in screen with contact details. Of course you can't taken it for granted but us horsey folk are generally very helpful when the proverbial hits the fan. I splattered myself years ago out hunting and ended up in A&E, no idea how horse got home but he did and my lorry was fetched a few days later. Worst bit of that disaster was the hospital cutting my boots down the front and not the seams, I was gutted !

I suppose on a morbid note, if the horse was fatally injured and you were in an ambulance the situation would just be dealt with. Lets hope we never experience that.

This made me laugh - when I broke my leg hunting after being royally bronked off, I was in A&E and they were trying to pull my boot off after I initially refused to let them cut it off. Then I admitted defeat when I realised how painful it was and they started gaily chopping down the front of the boot. My friend (clearly well used to dealing with such issues off the hunting field) started screaming "cut them down the seams, she can't afford new boots". Don't remember much of that hospital visit but do remember that!!

humblepie

Visit site
Back in my show jumping days I realised one day that I knew no one at the particular show I was at and that got me thinking so I did a card to keep in my jacket pocket with yard details on it so that if someone needed to take the horse home they would know where to take it - given that turning up at my home address may have given them a query as to where to put the horse - front or back garden. Did also put family contact number on it but given that said relative lives in London, again wouldn't have been a lot of help.