competing in uniform?

Thistle

Visit site
Vittoria, thanks you for taking the time to register and explain.

I think it's great when people compete in their uniform and totally understand why you would chose to use your title in Italy but not in the UK.

Please, all you who compete and are in the 'forces' wear your uniform with pride, even if it means picking horse hair off it!

Allie5

Visit site
I am in the TA and fit that and competing my horses in around a full time job. I asked permission about a year ago to wear my uniform and it was granted after about 6 months of head scratching and blank looks! Nobody quite knew what to say as they had never been asked by a member of the TA before! Anyway I was given another no2 jacket (on top of the one I have for parades) and that has been their sole contribution so far! I had a saddlecloth made up with my squadron logo on it and I wear a grey GPA hat along with beige jodhs and brown boots. I also go by private x riding ..... It does attract a LOT of attention which is great if I'm having a good day! Not so good the day I fell off into a water tray!

CrazyMare

Visit site
I work near the Defence Animal Centre in Melton, and hunt in the area too - I often see the staff from the DAC riding out in uniform, and hunting in uniform. They look VERY smart. Its lovely to see.

I'd say go for it.

trundle

Visit site
I'd forgotten all about this thread! I have actually seen a rise in the numbers of people competing (BSJA and dressage) in service uniform recently, which I think is great.

As for the person who asked me two years ago what I meant by my comment about the Navy -all i meant was, you wouldn't be announced as riding for the Army if you were in the Navy! I didn't phrase it very well at all, so apologies to all the Navy people out there who thought i was having some sort of a go at them!

only_me

Visit site
I love watching riders in uniform! I think it shows pride in the work they do, and one way or another representing their career and/or country!

Guess we are lucky in that we have the irish equitation school and all their riders compete in uniform - I think it looks very very smart :)

Bug2007

Visit site
I competed in an RAF team event in my Army No 2 jacket.

Bloody thing shrinks in the rain though, could barely move after a down pour.
Felt a bit of an idiot as everyone at the champs was in RAF stuff and I was in my Army one.

milz88

Visit site
Crikey I had forgotten all about this thread! 2 years ago! how time flys.

I competed a Smiths Lawn, Windsor last year in uniform which was quite nice representing the RAF as there were a lot of Army there and I was the only one from the Air Force, but I agree, I have seen a rise in people competing in uniforms, I saw a girl in Army uniform at Onley grounds recently, and I agree that is is all part of PR and encouraging people to see that the services are not all just about 'going to war' and being on the frontline which sadly alot of people still think is the only thing we do!

StrawberryFish

Visit site
I competed in uniform (and was once granted £150 to help towards to cost of my horse as a one-off grant.) I was entitled to a 2nd #1 jacket, but was advised to get a Men's jacket as it had more chest and arm room so you could jump comfortably in it.
I competed in the RAF ODE at Milton Keynes EC and then locally where I kept my horse as it was the only Jacket I owned, I only rode under my rank at the RAF Comp, otherwise I was just Sarah

:)

And Hello Vittoria!