Competition gloves - dressage

Walrus

Visit site
So in our quest to be as much "all the gear and no idea" by winter regionals :p I have decided to switch from a tweed to navy jacket. This has provided all sorts of shopping opportunities; white breeches, (omg, whoever thought they would be a good idea), appropriate underwear for white breeches (!!!), stock, shirt etc...

I'm looking at gloves, i love my brown roeckl chesters and the obvious thing woudl be navy roeckl chesters but then i thought - my whip and reins are black - what is technically "correct" black gloves or navy with a navy jacket? Also any feedback on the roeckl ascots or roeckl advanced sports gloves - i love the modern look but are they are nice as the chester?

http://www.dressagedeluxe.co.uk/Shop.asp?viewmode=vp&pid=1912

http://www.dressagedeluxe.co.uk/Shop.asp?viewmode=vp&pid=2676

It's a small thing but I'm quite excited to breaking free from the tweed and brown turnout and quite like the opportunity of a more "sports" look without it being out of place (of course we will look ridiculous poncing round our prelim test but hey, we have to start somewhere!)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Hmm.... I wear cream gloves which match my breeches and saddlecloth (I don't think I'll ever go for white breeches!! :lol:)

A few years ago BD had a rule saying gloves had to be a light colour, then they said it was preferable that they were a light colour, now it has reverted to just 'gloves must be worn'... most people I see at aff comps still wear light coloured gloves.

Before that I just wore my normal black ones and I have a navy jacket. It won't matter. Buy what you like :wink3:

...oh, and I still don't think you can beat Roeckl chesters!

Walrus

Visit site
My concern about the white is my flappy hands!! Although maybe white gloves will help to stop that!. The chesters are lovely, they do a navy one with white trim, i think that's the closest i'll get to white!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think lots of people thought the same when BD first brought in the white gloves rule. TBH I think if you have flappy hands, they don't look any different in dark gloves to white ones ;) I bet they aren't as bad as you think.

Bernster

Visit site
Ooh they look interesting. I also love love love the Roeckl Chester ones. I was looking at some nice sparkly gloves this morning though on www.equiture.biz if you fancied a bit of bling. Matching sets available too - it's too much (particularly as I haven't even started competing!). They look like a similar fabric to the R ones. Am resisting adding them to my Xmas list which is ridiculously horsey as it is. All the gear, no idea. Oh yes !

Shay

Visit site
Light gloves only make your hand movement obvious if you have a dark horse! If you have a grey light gloves are actually less conspicuous.

Sparkly ones stand out on any colour!

Bernster

Visit site
Light gloves only make your hand movement obvious if you have a dark horse! If you have a grey light gloves are actually less conspicuous.

Sparkly ones stand out on any colour!

But they look so pwetty ! And surely the extra bling helps to blind the judge ! ;-)

Llee94

Visit site
I used to wear white gloves and would get average scores because of my occasionally bobbling hands. I now wear navy gloves which disguises them a little and the scores have defiantly gone up!

9tails

Visit site
My instructor loves it when I wear light gloves because she can nag me incessantly about these pale things floating about in the murk, so go with a darker colour if you're allowed.

Walrus

Visit site