Conflicting ideas

arkledessie

Visit site
Hi
I’m getting worried that my RI is giving me conflicting advice. I am riding a horse that is an ex eventer and schooled at dressage. In order to get him to soften and get onto the bit, she constantly tells me to vibrate and give and take with the OUTSIDE hand whilst keeping the inside hand still and steady, I thought it was the other way round and this is what I tend to revert to when not having a one to one! Secondly, she is telling me to keep my hands still, in order to force the horse to drop his head, whereas I thought I should be keeping an elastic contact and giving somewhat when the horse gives. Help! It’s worrying me!

ShowJumperL95

Visit site
You want to keep contact in both hands steady and vibrate the inside rein and press with your inside leg when you want the horse to bend to the inside. I would not be holding the horse and forcing it to drop it's head! You want the horse to relax into the contact and to work into the contact by pushing from his hind quarters

be positive

Visit site
That is certainly more my way of thinking! It’s very hard to go against the RI though!

If it's not working for you, whatever the issue, there are plenty of other instructors to try, if the horse is well educated he probably hates being fiddled with so any vibrating, giving and taking with the hands whether inside or outside as the main focus rather than the legs and seat will probably be having a negative effect on him, find someone who will encourage you to think legs not hands and you will probably make far more progress.

arkledessie

Visit site
Thanks all. I know you are all right in your thoughts. Unfortunately it’s not so easy changing instructors when you haven’t got your own horse. It’s also very hard to get a highly qualified/highly experienced RI these days in a riding school, as most of the time they are teaching at grass roots level and just don’t get more advanced pupils. I do have one other place I can try, but I’m not that optimistic!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Hmm, tricky. I might try having a chat with your RI in that case, explain what you've said here and see what she says. There may be some other reason that is making her suggest a different way... for instance riding outside leg to inside hand is not what is typically taught but it can be useful in some circumstances (not sure how the rest of it might be explained but if nothing else it would give you an insight into whether you want to continue with this person or not).

whereabouts are you in the country, OP, as other members might be able to suggest good schools?

Auslander

Visit site
If it isn't your horse, and the instructor knows it well - there may well be a good reason for riding it in a way that isn't necessarily "by the book". There's nothing so clever at evasion as an older, well schooled horse, and sometimes, you need to use a few unconventional tricks to get them on side.

arkledessie

Visit site
Hmm, tricky. I might try having a chat with your RI in that case, explain what you've said here and see what she says. There may be some other reason that is making her suggest a different way... for instance riding outside leg to inside hand is not what is typically taught but it can be useful in some circumstances (not sure how the rest of it might be explained but if nothing else it would give you an insight into whether you want to continue with this person or not).

whereabouts are you in the country, OP, as other members might be able to suggest good schools?

arkledessie

Visit site
If it isn't your horse, and the instructor knows it well - there may well be a good reason for riding it in a way that isn't necessarily "by the book". There's nothing so clever at evasion as an older, well schooled horse, and sometimes, you need to use a few unconventional tricks to get them on side.

arkledessie

Visit site
Thanks. He is an old boy and is quite happy to take it easy if not pushed! Maybe it could be something to do with the horse’s quirks, although if so I’d be happier if she explained that was the reason!

be positive

Visit site
Thanks. He is an old boy and is quite happy to take it easy if not pushed! Maybe it could be something to do with the horse’s quirks, although if so I’d be happier if she explained that was the reason!

Have you asked for clarification, as already said older horses may have quirks, being used in a RS probably makes these worse because he does not have a consistent rider so the instructor has learnt how to work with these quirks, if you are getting him going fairly well then think of it as part of the learning process, one thing I have learned over many years is that no 2 horses are the same and sometimes you need a few extra tools in the box to get the best out of them, the horse never gets to read the book so may have differing ideas.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
one thing I have learned over many years is that no 2 horses are the same and sometimes you need a few extra tools in the box to get the best out of them, the horse never gets to read the book so may have differing ideas.
^^ so true! Had a blinding example of that with my 2 today, I'm still amazed at how different they can be. It's easy to write someone off as having rubbish ideas but unless you ask them to explain what they mean, it's quite possible that she's not wrong *on this horse*. it might have just got lost in translation.

If having spoken about it, you still don't think it makes sense, then fair enough :)

CoachinaCar

Visit site
Is it a riding school horse you are riding or a horse kept at the school. If you are riding at a riding school do you have the same horse each time.

You could try Hallingbury Hall they would not be that far from you.

I am Suffolk and could travel to Hallingbury quite easily.

arkledessie

Visit site
He’s a riding school half livery - not ridden by many people as he is very sensitive and only experienced riders are permitted. He is also much too big and strong for me so I actually don’t enjoy riding him that much nor do I feel he is improving my riding as I would wish! I am being given him to ride more and more frequently but have asked for it to be a maximum of once a week, not twice. The thing is, he is the only horse there who is apparently able to do any proper dressage movements.
I have visited Hallingbury Hall and it seemed excellent - however it is just too far from the part of Suffolk I live in for it to be practical twice a week. I am seriously thinking of going on a course somewhere in the new year, for a few days. Any recommendations welcomed - it doesn’t have to be that nearby but I would like somewhere with friendly and helpful people and a good selection of horses!

Chuffy99

Visit site
Have done and do clinics with Lisa but do have own horse but she does have well schooled horses for clients to ride which can go out competing and hunting