Considering Ovary removal

Peewit2002

New User
Visit site
I’m seriously considering ovary removal for my 13.3 hh new forest mare. She is a very talented pony but is just so grumpy and unpredictable. She s been in Regumate for 18months which eased her bad behaviour slightly but not completely. The vet has scanned her ovaries and it showed she is still ovulating even on the Regumate. He suggested taking her off it and seeing what happens. She’s been off it for three weeks and has turned into a monster and goes and then the other horses are out of sight. He has said the marble isn’t very successful. He said to think about removing her ovaries, obviously this is a very big decision as it’s very expensive and their is no guarantee she will be better?
Has anyone had any experience of this procedure and the costs involved?

doodle

Visit site
Yes my ex boss had her mares removed. The best thing she could have done. She was on double dose regumate and still was tricky, couldnt sit to canter etc Cost about £2500. She stated at the vets for about 5 days, came home and had a furhur 10 days box rest. She was still quirky but much much better. Much more level her schooling improved and happier in herself.

hobo

Visit site
That is good to hear Kamikaze.

OP when I asked the same question I just got very negitive responses saying that I was being selfish to consider it. It put me off going ahead but I will be speaking to my vet again I feel your pain my poor mare cycles all year round and loses her good mind when in season the difference between the last week of Dec and the 1st of jan when she finished her cycle is very marked. I will be putting her back on Regumate very soon she only came off late Oct.

teddypops

Visit site
One of my mares was terrible and vet thought about removing her ovaries, but in the end she had improvac injections which stop mares coming into season for around a year.

Peewit2002

New User
Visit site
Can I ask what improvac injections are? My vet has not mentioned them? He has said we ll try the Regumate injections first as they are more effective than oral Regumate.

rmasterson

Visit site
I'm very interested in this thread. I read that oestrogen is also produced by the adrenal gland so sometimes removal of the ovaries does not fix the problem if it is caused by oestrogen.
My mare is back on Regumate after a short break as a scan in November showed her ovaries were quiet. I noticed a deterioration in her mood so put her back on it on Xmas day.
A question though; does anyone else's mare show a twitchy reaction to your leg being applied? Our problems started last year in February and the first signs were being very twitchy in her flanks when I touched her with my leg and really grumpy about being girthed. The Regumate seemed to solve the problem but in the last week, she has started being twitch again.

EventingMum

Visit site
A livery client had her mare's ovaries removed and the mare became much less grumpy and generally easier. She still would kick her stable walls but much less than previously. I don't know what the cost was but her insurance covered it as when investigated there were changes on one of the ovaries.