contact details to report low flying military aircraft

Selkie

Visit site
And yes I do know that they have to carry out training. But two planes have just flown over very low and scared the horses knocking over one of us and then flown back 5 minutes later upsetting them again.
I would like to report this to the RAF I think it will be Kinloss for Scotland but not sure.

danielle23

Visit site
The t**ts flew over mine the other day, and sent all mine hurtling around into each others fields and the fences down and foaly out was very anoying, foal was sweating, puffing and panting!!!

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I complained to them once and I have to say that they came back to me very quickly, it was a very polite email and very apologetic. The guy admitted that they were flying (Chinook Helicopters) at less than 100ft, explained why and said that he would advise his pilots to be more viligant for riders. Even though the pilot did take action to pull up immediatley he saw 2 horses having hissy fits with riders clinging on beneath him. I was impressed to be honest.

Its a tough call, our troops can not go to war without the training, they have to do low level flying but as you say, its scary for our horses and especially at this time of year with mares about to foal and little ones about :confused:

Oscar162

Visit site
Just phone the base and say you want to make a complaint, but if it is jets its more likely to be Lossiemouth. Our horses don't even flick and ear they are so used to them, but I can understand how some are terrified at low aircraft, they make me jump and I know what they are.
If you do phone remember to get the name and rank of who you are talking to so if you don't hear back you can report who you lodged your complaint with.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
theres a .major training exercise out of Kinloss at the mo, all sorts of jets and other types. about 200 in total, lasts about 2 weeks (think this is the second week?). they reported it beforehand in our local paper (aberdeen).

Selkie

Visit site
Thanks I have reported the incident to them. We live right on the ridge of a hill and they usually go one side or the other, and the horse dont usually bother, but these were straight above and 5 minutes later were above us on their way back.

suzysparkle

Visit site
Danielle23 excuse me but would you mind not calling them t**ts. That is totally out of order and personally offensive to many. There is a major exercise on at Kinloss just now and it was well publicised in the local press. There are several visiting jets as well as the normal Tornado GR4's flying out of Lossie. It is a necessary exercise and the constant reminders of forces people being killed overseas on the news gives plenty explanation of why they train. Each and every one of those t**ts risks their lives on a regular basis and serves away from family frequently. Contrary to popular belief these t**ts don't scare Horses on purpose. The MOD gave away High Vis to riders a while ago on application to help pilots spot them. It's a small country so there will always be times when people won't be happy about aircraft flying over.

To the OP - this is copied from the BHS website. The MOD actively take calls about it.

Information on all low-level traffic, including fast-jets, together with information on all major exercises undertaken, is available by calling the MoD Freephone Helpline, 0800 515544. This service is based on MoD low flying areas and gives callers the opportunity to receive details of operations taking place in any given postcode area. It is not an automated system, you will be able to speak to an operator.

If you are organising an equestrian event, it may be possible to have it recognised as a low-flying exclusion zone for the period of the event. Also, if you are a Registered RDA centre, the MoD are keen to discuss avoiding your premises when lessons take place.

In the event of any incident you should call the Complaints and Enquiries Unit on 0207 218 6020

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
the same scenario applies at .place, normally they are over to one side, at the mo its dogfights in the sky and all directions.

I havent complained tho. It is difficult. It is a real danger if the horses freak, but round here the jets arent unusual and I think the pilots and soldiers are more at risk out there in Helmand if they dont train and they cant really avoid individual horse fields in their jets

Vicki1986

Visit site
Our boys need to train, and wherever they fly i'm sure they will annoy someone.

my horses don't care - infact it probably frightens me more than them - they've been coming over seriously low lately !

i'm about to bring my youngster home from being broken and would really rather not be riding when they fly, is the flight info available from anywhere does anyone know ?? If i knew roughly what day they would be coming over i would not ride. any ideas anyone?

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
as per suzy sparkles post

Information on all low-level traffic, including fast-jets, together with information on all major exercises undertaken, is available by calling the MoD Freephone Helpline, 0800 515544. This service is based on MoD low flying areas and gives callers the opportunity to receive details of operations taking place in any given postcode area. It is not an automated system, you will be able to speak to an operator.

gilliantahatann

Visit site
And yes I do know that they have to carry out training. But two planes have just flown over very low and scared the horses knocking over one of us and then flown back 5 minutes later upsetting them again.
I would like to report this to the RAF I think it will be Kinloss for Scotland but not sure.

Lossiemouth RAF used to do this alot too. They used to phone us telling us that they would be training at a certain time, then 3 hours after the time they had said is when they actually come out. Worst part is, it always happened when there was lessons on as it was the riding school :( its horrible! Kinloss is really bad for it too though. We get it at Roseisle.

irishcob

Visit site
Danielle23 excuse me but would you mind not calling them t**ts. That is totally out of order and personally offensive to many. There is a major exercise on at Kinloss just now and it was well publicised in the local press. There are several visiting jets as well as the normal Tornado GR4's flying out of Lossie. It is a necessary exercise and the constant reminders of forces people being killed overseas on the news gives plenty explanation of why they train. Each and every one of those t**ts risks their lives on a regular basis and serves away from family frequently. Contrary to popular belief these t**ts don't scare Horses on purpose. The MOD gave away High Vis to riders a while ago on application to help pilots spot them. It's a small country so there will always be times when people won't be happy about aircraft flying over.

To the OP - this is copied from the BHS website. The MOD actively take calls about it.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

My husband is one of many RAF personnel serving out in The Gulf at the moment. The regular news reports of deaths to military personnel are the tip of the iceberg, as the everyday awful wounds and loss of limbs are not even mentioned.

Our pilots have to train, often at low level, and test pilots also need to be constantly evaluating equipment, again at low level to simulate the conditions they meet in theatre. This training helps keep our boys safe out on the front line, where they are risking their lives everyday. Please let's have some perspective.

I know it can be scary - living near Salisbury Plain (regular massive training exercises) and also Boscombe Down (centre for testing and evaluation) means we regularly have all manner of fast jets and helicopters wizzing around. I wear my hi viz (as given away free by the military, mentioned above), and my horses have all had to learn to cope.

Flight information is sensitive, but do ring the MOD number provided as they will do their best to inform you of what movements are in your area.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
ahhhhhhhhh, makes sense now. We have wondered whats afoot with all the action in the sky at the moment.

My horse used to be kept in Leuchars so he is well used to them; however - i was utterly :eek::eek::eek: at 2 chinooks coming down to land in a field that had had daffodils in it immediately behind our house!! They came so close to landing then went up again... surely there must be somewhere more remote to do that!?

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1818101?UserKey=

ETA - hubby has just informed me he was fly fishing at a loch way up in the mountains yesterday on the westcoast near Malliag - a jet went over him really really low, to the extent he had to hold the rod between his knees and cover his ears. He said he could see the pilots and as they went over they tipped their wings each way to him! lol

Last edited:

joeanne

Visit site
It really annoys me when people say things like that Danielle23. We are loosing boys left right and center in conflict's oversea's. Those boys are fighting for the democracy of people like you.....ungrateful as you are!
We have Farnborough air show limbering up for the week after next. So far we have had seriously loud jets, the arrivals of some of the big stuff, and before the week is out the Red Devils will be airbourne and practicing.
And it will do the youngsters good to hear it!

Luci07

Visit site
I work at Farnborough - have been enjoying watching the planes as we are right next door to the show... but I am in a sound proofed office (so can only really hear the jets) and am nowhere near a horse..!

danielle23

Visit site

Im in north yorkshire and wasnt riding, they flew over my large field with at least 13 horses in, very low, which freeked them all out and mare and foal could of been very hurt if i wasnt around to notice and get them all back in a sorted! Thankfuly only 2 of the ponies ran down the lane, and wasnt the mare and foal! luckily there was no traffic! or they too could of been hurt or even killed by vehicles

Im expressing my concern for the safety of my animals, everyone is welcome to there opinion

danielle23

Visit site
ahhhhhhhhh, makes sense now. We have wondered whats afoot with all the action in the sky at the moment.

My horse used to be kept in Leuchars so he is well used to them; however - i was utterly :eek::eek::eek: at 2 chinooks coming down to land in a field that had had daffodils in it immediately behind our house!! They came so close to landing then went up again... surely there must be somewhere more remote to do that!?

[

My thoughts too! There are pleanty of sparsely populated areas to train?

annaellie

Visit site
I personally feel it does youngsters good to get used to it, you never know when they fly over and at least if your in an area that does do training which needs to be done the horses will be used to them :). I had my boy for about 4 weeks and was leading him in when a jet flew over very low, I s**t myself thinking I he is going to go balistic :eek: He just happily plodded along, I presume he must be used to the low jets :D

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I reported a low flying helicopter and was told basically they can do what they want, and it probably wasn't as low as I thought I saw ! I know what I saw

I know they have to train but there are loads of training facilities around the country they can fly low over, I've seen lots of training bases when I've been out and about in the horse lorry, I just don't see the need to do it over residential areas and places they could cause accidents.

My friend fell off her horse whilst on holiday because of a low flying chinook (sp) and she was on her own

danielle23

Visit site
It really annoys me when people say things like that Danielle23. We are loosing boys left right and center in conflict's oversea's. Those boys are fighting for the democracy of people like you.....ungrateful as you are!
We have Farnborough air show limbering up for the week after next. So far we have had seriously loud jets, the arrivals of some of the big stuff, and before the week is out the Red Devils will be airbourne and practicing.
And it will do the youngsters good to hear it!

Im not ungrateful, i think they are extremely brave taking up an ocupation that puts there lifes in danger
They should just practise a bit higher over populated areas and keep the low stuff where there are no animals etc
Theres no need to get personal! and call people ungratefull etc

danielle23

Visit site
I personally feel it does youngsters good to get used to it, you never know when they fly over and at least if your in an area that does do training which needs to be done the horses will be used to them :). I had my boy for about 4 weeks and was leading him in when a jet flew over very low, I s**t myself thinking I he is going to go balistic :eek: He just happily plodded along, I presume he must be used to the low jets :D

Thyey fly over mine all the time they are used to them, it just this one time they went really low stait over there heads!

BBP

Visit site
I understand people get really upset over this as themselves and their horses can feel at risk, so will overlook the word t***s in reference to these amazing pilots, but when saying that they can use their own airspace, please bare in mind that the Chinooks average airspeed is approx 130mph, and the Tornado has a top speed of approx 1,674mph - to practice low flying in this aircraft in an area even 100 miles across is asking for an accident. If they fly over residential areas they get people complaining, if they fly over rural areas they get people complaining. but it has to be done.

In fact I wish there was more low flying over here, the fact that it has dropped off so much since I had horses 10 years ago (we used to get Tornadoes and Chinooks over every day, now rarely in a month) just goes to show how many more are currently deployed overseas.

quirky

Visit site
They should just practise a bit higher over populated areas and keep the low stuff where there are no animals etc.

Right, the whole point of exercising in remote areas is that if they have the misfortune to crash, they pose a minimal risk to the general population at maximum risk to themselves.
You could just imagine the uproar if they crashed over a seriously populated area killing many.

Personally, I don't have a problem with them. We have Tornado's and Typhoon (Eurofighter) over our way and the horses aren't bothered thankfully.

They did kick off when the air ambulance landed next to their field the other year. It was most inconsiderate of the girl not to have her accident in a populated area as then the horses wouldn't have been scared :p:rolleyes::D

irishcob

Visit site
Danielle23 - a total of 318 British military personnel have died on operations in Afghanistan, and 179 in Iraq. All dearly loved sons, brother, husbands, fathers. Their families have been ripped apart. Would you like to see them? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7912865.stm

I'm sorry to hear that your foal was sweating, puffing and panting, but I think perhaps in context you can understand how your comments could be seen as offensive?

Pilots need to train in both urban AND rural areas, to recreate conditions they will face in conflict. Rather than complaining about it, why not take it as an opportunity to 'bombproof' your horse. Certainly mine have benefitted from living here, and didn't even flinch we had an 'inconsiderate' air ambulance land two doors down.

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
Danielle23 excuse me but would you mind not calling them t**ts. That is totally out of order and personally offensive to many. There is a major exercise on at Kinloss just now and it was well publicised in the local press. There are several visiting jets as well as the normal Tornado GR4's flying out of Lossie. It is a necessary exercise and the constant reminders of forces people being killed overseas on the news gives plenty explanation of why they train. Each and every one of those t**ts risks their lives on a regular basis and serves away from family frequently. Contrary to popular belief these t**ts don't scare Horses on purpose. The MOD gave away High Vis to riders a while ago on application to help pilots spot them. It's a small country so there will always be times when people won't be happy about aircraft flying over.QUOTE]

Thank you, totally agree with this. My husband is in the RAF and flies and is most definitely not a t*t!! There are several yards in close proximity to the base and believe me, the base was there first! These guys have to train and ARE mindful of the general public, in particular horse riders but they have to be 100% focussed on flying the jet, not on a constant lookout for riders. Also they can't do the majority of their flying over populated areas in case they crash and yes it does happen. Two guys from my husbands squadron were killed last year - in a remote area. If it had been over a populated area it would have been utter carnage.

danielle23

Visit site
Danielle23 - a total of 318 British military personnel have died on operations in Afghanistan, and 179 in Iraq. All dearly loved sons, brother, husbands, fathers. Their families have been ripped apart. Would you like to see them? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7912865.stm

I'm sorry to hear that your foal was sweating, puffing and panting, but I think perhaps in context you can understand how your comments could be seen as offensive?

Pilots need to train in both urban AND rural areas, to recreate conditions they will face in conflict. Rather than complaining about it, why not take it as an opportunity to 'bombproof' your horse. Certainly mine have benefitted from living here, and didn't even flinch we had an 'inconsiderate' air ambulance land two doors down.

It wasnt about the fact of how the foal was puffing and panting etc, altho she was very sressed, its what what could of happened if i was not here at the time to get them all back in!!! they could of been all out on the road and got run over? sustained injuries thru running thru fencing etc! And we all know what horses are like when they panic!
It shouldnt take that kind of panicking and danger to "boombproof" them,
As said previously good for all those whom choose to have a life threatening jobs etc