Continuing the Spanish learning curve - 2 shows & 2 lessons!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Armas has had a busy few weeks since the last post. In the week following our super trip to Allens Hill we had 2 very different lessons - the first was a bit of a last minute thing with Robert Pring who was at a friend's yard that day. Robert had a different approach to our usual lessons with Adam Kemp. It was really interesting and so helpful to get a bit of quiet help with keeping him soft and *long* while not trying to work on test-type movements. Sometimes I find it really confusing to have different approaches with different trainers (especially for the same discipline) but I think because they were coming from different directions, the 2 trainers complement each other really. It's a long video as Robert spent ages with us, but if you are interested it's all here:

[video=youtube_share;4CekXJCCRGw]http://youtu.be/4CekXJCCRGw[/video]

The following day (!) we went off to a long pre-arranged lesson with Adam. Poor Armas felt a bit tired towards the end but I think we found a brilliant exercise to help him with his medium trot - turn across the diagonal asking for a few steps leg yield to the right to engage the hind leg and get him soft to the left, and THEN press for more power. He's getting there, sometimes he needs reminding to try :p but it's coming along.

[video=youtube_share;Hd_ftVUwpNw]http://youtu.be/Hd_ftVUwpNw[/video]

On the following Saturday the weather was lovely so James took him on a local fun ride... shame we already had entries in for dressage at Abbey on the Sunday ;) ;) Let's just say that Armas rather enjoyed the fun ride and wasn't at his best at the dressage! We steered round the classes for a bit more ring experience and did manage to see off the spook monsters that he had encountered in the outdoor arena last time we were there. He did score 67% and 63% which I think was a touch generous - he FELT pretty terrible but I think he's allowed an off day after a fun ride!

No pics or vids of that outing :eek:

Spent most of last week trying to work on what we'd been doing with Robert, to keep him long and over the back in the vague hope that he might begin to carry that forward into his tests at Hartpury this weekend. He came off the box feeling really good and I was able to stop him scuttling off in his walk, kept the fluid feeling into the trot and then the warm up suddenly filled with young horses, some of which were feeling a bit jolly and Armas got somewhat worried. After bolting round the warm up arena in extended canter for what felt like the whole afternoon, it was time for out first test :eek: Not a great feel and 60% scraped! ...... cont

milliepops

Visit site
We had a long wait before the second test so he went back onto the lorry for a chill and then when I got him off again we started from the beginning again. I was really happy with him as he put aside the previous upset and felt much looser, rideable, *mainly* staying through during the transitions and playing with some half pass to counter canter renvers got his back up and round.

1959261_10153145011489460_6621406849050318658_n_zp  sc2a8a49e.jpg

I felt like it carried through to the second test much better but he ended up with 61%... obviously it was an improved feeling rather than an improved appearance :rolleyes: I got lost and then he struck off incorrectly but the whole test was quite low scoring rather than just those mistakes. I do think it will be like this for a month or 2 while we get some of the looseness a bit more established - you can either have daydreaming softness or buzzy attentiveness at the moment, neither of which are quite what you want in a test :rolleyes:

Feels like we are in a bit of a slump as he still needs the test practice but we are in such a transformative point of his training they are really hit and miss at the moment.
Still, on the plus side, he improved throughout the day and was seriously well behaved considering the gale that was blowing.

First test
[video=youtube_share;W464FX8pU1c]http://youtu.be/W464FX8pU1c[/video]

Second test
[video=youtube_share;WqtNJf_NfPg]http://youtu.be/WqtNJf_NfPg[/VIDEO]

Millie got a brilliant Easter present as I bought her a likit treat ball which she is enjoying tossing around the stable - apparently box rest is OK when you get to scoff grass nuts!
She's doing 10 mins walk in hand each day and feeling pretty cheerful :) The leg is beginning to feel good, at last :)

[video=youtube_share;0b1wYdYqBoM]http://youtu.be/0b1wYdYqBoM[/video]

Abbeygale

Visit site
Wow! The music on Elem53 was definitely suitable! He was a little whirlwind like wasn't he! ;)

He is looking lovely - I haven't watched all the way through the lesson vids, but I do enjoy watching the AK ones - although he's a little loud when I am listening on my headphones! ;)

Well done :)

Firewell

Visit site
Good report thanks :D. Armas is looking beautiful! I think it is hard getting that balance between having them reactive and forward but still soft and relaxed! He seems like he is coming on leaps and bounds, lovely boy :).

Gorseyhorsey

Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks for posting these videos, I really enjoy watching them especially as I have some of the same issues with my half PRE mare. Armas is looking great, especially when he lets his neck out and takes the contact, so rhythmic - which I'm sure has taken a lot of work.

Wheels

Visit site
Loved the Robert lesson - armas actually showed moments of relaxation :)

You must be pleased with the progress, you should be

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
Thanks for sharing. I have recently purchased a small black and rather less spooky version of Armas. he is a project horse really and is only at intro level at the mo (had him 4 weeks today) but I do find these video's inspiring. Something to aim for! Also nice to take a look at venues I might well visit in the near future as you are not that far from me. :)

tristar

Visit site
robert sounds like a truly wonderful trainer, it took me years to figure out how to get good work of my tres sangres spanish horse, everything he said rang a bell, and made me very pleased to know there are people out there who understand horses in such an overall way

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
your going to have to ban james from riding his own horse... or get him another one lol.

I noticed in the ak vid that the canter work has improved a lot too, hes looking a bit more "up hill" rather than slobbing a long.

milliepops

Visit site
your going to have to ban james from riding his own horse...

Don't think that would be fair really ;) Perhaps some kind of rota system would be appropriate!

or get him another one lol.

..... and let's not go there!! One is quite enough :p

I noticed in the ak vid that the canter work has improved a lot too, hes looking a bit more "up hill" rather than slobbing a long.

Canter is definitely the easiest pace to work him in, when he lets go it's a lovely feeling. This week we've been plugging away with some of what we did with Robert to keep him over the back and allowing...gradually pumping more energy in along with a bit more discipline about proper corners which helps him to soften and engage (and remain submissive - for a sensitive flower he does like to take over at times). In time I think we will be able to combine that with the more 'up together' work we do with Adam and he'll be a different horse :)

Spanny

Visit site
I only watched the video of your lesson with Robert, but I just had to say wow! Thanks for sharing. As someone said earlier, it's wonderful to see someone who understands Spanish horses so well. And fantastic work with Armas, he's just looking better and better :)

milliepops

Visit site
He's not local at all... I think he's based in Hertfordshire. He has a website I think. But he comes over our way every week I believe and sees a group of regular clients. I definitely want to have another lesson, perhaps when we've established the work from the last one more.

Thanks for the kind comments, it feels like a never-ending audition sometimes riding this particular horse ;) but he's a lovely chap with bags of potential. .. just have to be patient in unlocking it :)