contradictory information yet again about dog walking!

BoggyGirl

Visit site
I am having a nightmare with this. So many dogs around and people. Everyone is walking right on the doorstep and its chaos. Lots of gates to pass through. There is never normally a soul here. We would normally go to the beach and chuck them all out but that is 3 miles away by car. Having to just walk two dogs a day due to little people home too and crossing roads. Garden tiring out is wearing thin. I really hope that if we are here for weeks and weeks we can at least walk twice a day from our homes. Many are flouting it but I no doubt will be the one that gets reported if we do shift walking.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Taken from the BBC this morning:

What are the rules on exercise?
People are being told only to take one form of exercise a day. The guidelines say:

• Maintain a social distance of more than 2m from anyone outside your household, wherever you go
  • Exercise alone or with members of your own household
  • Gatherings of more than two in parks or other public spaces have been banned (ruling out most team sports)
  • Take hygiene precautions when you are outside, and wash your hands as soon as you are back indoors
  • Stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible - do not travel unnecessarily
The guidelines do not explicitly define what counts as "local" and whether people can drive somewhere to take exercise. However, some police forces have tried to discourage this.

Moobli

Visit site
It has been deadly quiet up here for the past week or so now and I love it. It reminds me of when I first moved here about 15 years ago and it was a little known area that wasn't often visited. In the past few years it has got busier with walkers, mountain bikers etc, no doubt due to increased internet use and the area being highlighted on some walking websites. I hope it stays as quiet over lambing time, but the point of my post was to say that it would make more sense if people WERE allowed to drive reasonably locally for a walk to places like this where it is easy to avoid one another. Yes, it is more of a pain in the bum for the small isolated communities but I can't help but feel sorry for those in villages, towns and especially cities where people are being pushed into closer and closer proximity. Surely it will eventually have an impact on mental health.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
It has been deadly quiet up here for the past week or so now and I love it. It reminds me of when I first moved here about 15 years ago and it was a little known area that wasn't often visited. In the past few years it has got busier with walkers, mountain bikers etc, no doubt due to increased internet use and the area being highlighted on some walking websites. I hope it stays as quiet over lambing time, but the point of my post was to say that it would make more sense if people WERE allowed to drive reasonably locally for a walk to places like this where it is easy to avoid one another. Yes, it is more of a pain in the bum for the small isolated communities but I can't help but feel sorry for those in villages, towns and especially cities where people are being pushed into closer and closer proximity. Surely it will eventually have an impact on mental health.
Agree completely. I do get the impression there's some NIMBYism going on "how dare people drive to my area to walk their dogs" where it's much quieter and therefore safer for people (and dogs!). A 10 minute drive is not against either the rules or the spirit of the rules.

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It isn't quieter here though, is the problem, it's got busier!! It's rammed with people who have all had the same idea, joggers, walkers, cyclists, parts of the path are such that it's impossible to keep the required distance. Three weeks ago the only people I met were people (and/or dogs) I knew by name.

paddy555

Visit site
Agree completely. I do get the impression there's some NIMBYism going on "how dare people drive to my area to walk their dogs" where it's much quieter and therefore sager for people (and dogs!)..

yes to an area here people haven't been flouting the rules by travelling their dogs yet they are suddenly flooded by people driving to their area to walk their pooches. Some of those people driving into the area will either have or be carrying the virus. So yes it is Nimbyism. People don't want it brought into their area.

If it was just the occasional person then probably no problem,. When it is cars parked nose to tail then no. As CC says these are no longer quiet areas, they have got busier and are rammed with people.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Agree completely. I do get the impression there's some NIMBYism going on "how dare people drive to my area to walk their dogs" where it's much quieter and therefore sager for people (and dogs!). A 10 minute drive is not against either the rules or the spirit of the rules.
The flaw in your argument, which others have pointed out, is that too many people have had the same idea of the same ‘quiet‘ places to go to in order to escape from the crowds. They have swarmed to the same destinations and hey, ho, many ‘quieter’ areas have become much busier. Plus the local shops have been denuded of stock by the day trippers.

It’s not long since the mad mass weekend exodus immediately previous to lock down. Understandably, both the police and the public have been feeling their way since then to work things out for the best.

On the Hoof

Visit site
It isn't quieter here though, is the problem, it's got busier!! It's rammed with people who have all had the same idea, joggers, walkers, cyclists, parts of the path are such that it's impossible to keep the required distance. Three weeks ago the only people I met were people (and/or dogs) I knew by name.
well I knew all the people i met on walks a few weeks ago, but all the ones I see now do live in my area, its just that they are normally at work, doing sport, at school or college , going shopping etc etc and walk their dogs etc at different times to me and now we are all meeting up for the first time - I am enjoying meeting more people from my area even if conversations are at a 2m distance and we are all crazily trying to avoid using the same paths.... I dont begrudge anyone using the space even though a few weeks ago I might only meet two other dog walkers or a couple of families and pretty much had the place to myself

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
yes to an area here people haven't been flouting the rules by travelling their dogs yet they are suddenly flooded by people driving to their area to walk their pooches. Some of those people driving into the area will either have or be carrying the virus. So yes it is Nimbyism. People don't want it brought into their area.

If it was just the occasional person then probably no problem,. When it is cars parked nose to tail then no. As CC says these are no longer quiet areas, they have got busier and are rammed with people.

Firstly, it's in every area, it's not a case of people bringing into another area. You do realise that, right?

Secondly, I'm sure there are places where cars are parked nose to tail but this is the exception rather than the rule. Most people driving a short distance are sensible enough to go somewhere quiet. If people are going for a jolly, this is a different scenario to someone taking their dog somewhere quiet for a walk.

We live on the edge of some woods, and it's much busier than usual, not because people are traveling to walk their dogs there, but because more people are around and want to get out of their houses. I'm glad people are able to go out and enjoy the peace, see the start of the wood anemones, primroses and bluebells. Because it's outside there is plenty of space for people to pass each other, they're not restricted to narrow pavements where they may have to step into the road into traffic.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Well as I've said several times, lots of people aren't social distancing here, dog and I have narrowly avoided being run over by cyclists who think they're part of a peloton, when there are signs everywhere saying it isn't suitable for bikes, been panted/sweated/smoked/vaped over, and people are still walking in the middle of the path (mostly younger couples). And tonight a guy right under my nose collecting his dog from under mine.

I'm the only one wearing a face covering apart from a couple of older people at the weekend who had scarves pulled up.

I have met a neighbour I've never spoken to before and exchanged pleasantries with a guy who hasn't spoken to me for five years because he doesn't like my landlords, so I'm not a complete antisocial barsteward. Only a bit of one.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Well as I've said several times, lots of people aren't social distancing here, dog and I have narrowly avoided being run over by cyclists who think they're part of a peloton, when there are signs everywhere saying it isn't suitable for bikes, been panted/sweated/smoked/vaped over, and people are still walking in the middle of the path (mostly younger couples). And tonight a guy right under my nose collecting his dog from under mine.

I'm the only one wearing a face covering apart from a couple of older people at the weekend who had scarves pulled up.

I have met a neighbour I've never spoken to before and exchanged pleasantries with a guy who hasn't spoken to me for five years because he doesn't like my landlords, so I'm not a complete antisocial barsteward. Only a bit of one.
That's a shame for you, I've not experienced anything like that and I live in one of the most populated counties.
However just because some people can't practise social distancing, doesn't mean everyone should be banned from driving to walk their dog. Sounds like a lot of these people you're meeting might not be driving anyway, they're just people who live locally who you've not met before.

{97702}

Visit site
Firstly, it's in every area, it's not a case of people bringing into another area. You do realise that, right?

Secondly, I'm sure there are places where cars are parked nose to tail but this is the exception rather than the rule. Most people driving a short distance are sensible enough to go somewhere quiet. If people are going for a jolly, this is a different scenario to someone taking their dog somewhere quiet for a walk.

We live on the edge of some woods, and it's much busier than usual, not because people are traveling to walk their dogs there, but because more people are around and want to get out of their houses. I'm glad people are able to go out and enjoy the peace, see the start of the wood anemones, primroses and bluebells. Because it's outside there is plenty of space for people to pass each other, they're not restricted to narrow pavements where they may have to step into the road into traffic.

This entirely for me - of course I sympathise for those who have seen a sudden increase in the traffic outside their house, but for me this does not justify the blanket ban on travelling to exercise your dog which some police forces are trying to introduce.

Yes, I understand the problems with not adopting a ‘one size fits all’ approach - I’m not dense, although how I could be after endless lectures from some holier than thou forum users ?

As I have often said, I don’t encounter a living soul on my walks in Forestry Commission
Woods - dear god that’s why I choose those walks in the first place!!!! If I arrive at a parking place and see another car there, I move on to another location!!!!

It has been proven by legal experts that the ORIGINAL police approach to the interpretation of Government guidance has been over zealous and heavy handed, hence guidance subsequently issued by the policing college (I believe, haven’t googled to verify that) which allows a more realistic interpretation.

Hopefully this more common sense approach will be allowed to prevail in the forthcoming weeks so we can put a stop to the hysteria which appears to have ensued ?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Nah they're driving/coming from elsewhere, it's a small town and it's hard to describe the topography. I'm not saying anyone should be banned, I'm just venting at inconsiderate twonks.
They'd be inconsiderate twonks wherever they are, there are just some people like that. Glad they're all round your way and not mine #nimbyismlives ??

paddy555

Visit site

If it was the odd dog walker that would be no problem but it is not. There cannot be one rule for one and one for another. If dog walkers are allowed to drive and walk why shouldn't non dog walkers who just want to take exercise have the same advantage, and also bike riders, horse riders who want to box out into the countryside, in fact anyone who wants to get away from home into the countryside. Why stop at an hour, make it an all day walk. It soon fills up. Certainly no social distancing. This is not essential travel.

I live in a tourist area and on the mad week end my delivery lorry struggled to get up the road past nose to tail cars parked on both sides. Car parks were closed so they just parked on the road side. . It was like a jolly holiday and exactly the same will happen again without control. Same with the forestry car parks which are closed so no problem they just park on the road side and block the road. None of these were locals cars. They had come many miles.
Thankfully the police seem to have it under control now.

As for not bringing it into an area then the more people coming in and wandering about (and we are talking about lots) the more possibility of spreading it to the local population.

{97702}

Visit site
Gove, I think, mumbled something about an hour's walk or a 30 min run.
It's not written down anywhere.

He did indeed say that a 30 minute run or 1 hour walk should be enough for anyone.

I ignored him as being a typical London-dweller, certainly neither would be enough for me

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

People have been talking about this for ages. It’s the recommendation (rule?) in France, along with the distance thing, supposed to be within 400 metres of the front door. I’d need to check with mates on that latter.

angrybird1

Visit site
As I have to travel to my horses twice a day I've been taking my dogs with me on one trip its not ideal really as it's probably a bit boring for my younger dog.

one of my dogs is elderly and can't walk far but is still keen to come out. She would be very distressed if I took the other dog and left her behind.
previously I've been taking her for a little potter then putting her back in the car while I give the younger dog a proper run.
I do walk local in the area I've lived for years but yes I use the car because it's just not possible for me to get both dogs out with out using the car at the moment.

In the current situation they have come with me to horses to give them a change of scene and the younger one some exercise.

As I said it's not ideal but it's cutting down the amount of times I have to go out and they get some exercise but maybe people that see me think I'm being selfish to use the car to walk the dogs but there are genuine reasons to do this and at the moment imdoing the best I can both for the dogs and trying to stick to the rules of lockdown as much as possible.
It's difficult to manage dogs with different needs in a situation like this.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
‘Twas Michael Gove‘s musings on last Sunday’s (29/3) Andrew Marr programme.

Michael Gove has offered some clarity on exactly how long people can exercise outside for during the coronavirus lockdown.

The minister appeared on the BBC’s Marr programme on Sunday morning, where he spoke about the sacrifices people are making, as well as offering guidance on how long people should be leaving the house for exercise.

“Obviously it depends on each individual’s fitness,” he said.

“But I would have thought that for most a walk of up to an hour, or a run of 30 minutes, or a cycle ride between that, depending on their level of fitness, is appropriate.”

paddy555

Visit site
He did indeed say that a 30 minute run or 1 hour walk should be enough for anyone.

I ignored him as being a typical London-dweller, certainly neither would be enough for me

what if everyone thought like that? the lockdown could last longer because some disregarded it.
To dog owners it is important their dogs are looked after. However what about those who have died from CV. What about their dogs? they won't be getting their walks and some will end up PTS or in rescues. Even worse for their owners, they themselves will be dead!! plus of course their grieving friends and families, Oh and not forgetting the healthworkers who have had to risk their lives to care for them as they die.

Some of those CV deaths could have occurred because people disregarded the lockdown and travelled to places when they thought they were safe.
It is not about extra traffic outside people's front doors it is about life and death.

I expect to have the usual sarcastic reply. Some people will like your reply, they will write applauding you. Many, post or not, will simply regard it as selfish.
Dogs are important but human lives are just as important. Dogs will suffer during this with limited exercise but they will survive. Humans will die.

{97702}

Visit site
There appears to be a weird assumption by some users on the forum that just because I question things, it means I’m not complying and am flagrantly putting others at risk on a daily basis. It’s come up before on this thread, and now Paddy is suggesting it again.

For the record, I haven’t actually been out of my house since Sunday as I have CV-type symptoms and I feel like rubbish, so I’ve been in bed for 90% of the time. My dogs have been limited to going out in the garden, and absolutely they have survived (not sure the lawn will do!)

I’ll say it again - just because I may disagree with something, it doesn’t mean that I’m going to blatantly ignore it? Why on earth would I? Hopefully the more we all comply with regulations, the quicker this will be over with. But I AM allowed to say that I disagree, because we live in a democracy and that’s what it’s all about isn’t it?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ah I don't watch Andrew Marr (or anything atm!) so if it's not written down it's not there.
running for half an hour or cycling for 45 minutes really isn't very much and I am only moderately fit. I guess Mr Gove must be less so :p. I'm yet to actually pass anyone on the bike.

palo1

Visit site
The flaw in your argument, which others have pointed out, is that too many people have had the same idea of the same ‘quiet‘ places to go to in order to escape from the crowds. They have swarmed to the same destinations and hey, ho, many ‘quieter’ areas have become much busier. Plus the local shops have been denuded of stock by the day trippers.

It’s not long since the mad mass weekend exodus immediately previous to lock down. Understandably, both the police and the public have been feeling their way since then to work things out for the best.

It is really difficult. The National Park that we live on the edge of (Brecon Beacons) is now closed to everyone though I know that very local folk are able to get out for a walk but it seems such a waste tbh. We could walk up into the park and 'sneak in' (we won't !!) but we think it would be so much better if the main (most popular) car parks had a visitor restriction on - perhaps the NPs could request a 'booked' time for particular car registration numbers and allocate access slots of 2 hours per vehicle or something. As most visitors use quite public parking this could be quite easily monitored and those folk who park in more isolated places are not likely to be or cause a problem surely? Our suggestion could be monitored relatively easily or could recruit volunteers to monitor the parking - with fines for those abusing it. I know that kind of thing can take time to put in place but it would be so much better for everyone if it was possible to safely access the countryside I reckon. I love it being so quiet but actually feel quite guilty about the way that families in the towns and cities must be feeling really desperate. I am certain there are ways that limited and careful access to our National Parks could be organised. Perhaps I am overly idealistic though...

palo1

Visit site
There appears to be a weird assumption by some users on the forum that just because I question things, it means I’m not complying and am flagrantly putting others at risk on a daily basis. It’s come up before on this thread, and now Paddy is suggesting it again.

For the record, I haven’t actually been out of my house since Sunday as I have CV-type symptoms and I feel like rubbish, so I’ve been in bed for 90% of the time. My dogs have been limited to going out in the garden, and absolutely they have survived (not sure the lawn will do!)

I’ll say it again - just because I may disagree with something, it doesn’t mean that I’m going to blatantly ignore it? Why on earth would I? Hopefully the more we all comply with regulations, the quicker this will be over with. But I AM allowed to say that I disagree, because we live in a democracy and that’s what it’s all about isn’t it?

I hope you are feeling better soon Lev. I think that the harsher the restrictions are the more likely people will be to try to get round them in the long term. It's feasible to have a more or less complete lockdown for a few weeks but when that becomes longer I think it will be very, very difficult - especially because we live in a very individualistic liberal democracy.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
In the midst of a pandemic, it's not possible for the government to make individual caveats for those who want to justify using a car for walking in the countryside. I think they're probably busy ensuring that everyone has some sort of income, food and a roof over their heads at the moment.
For a while, everyone has to make changes and put public health first. If we can follow the spirit of the current restrictions, rather than trying to get round the rules because as an individual, it doesn't seem to matter.
If there's a positive from this, it's that our beautiful woods, moors, lakes, mountains and beaches are being given a chance to breathe and recover. I'd vote for an annual 3 week shut down of our most popular national parks in March to give the environment a break in these over populated tines.

paddy555

Visit site
I was working on your posts 47 and 62 of a week ago when you said you were driving 10 mins down the road. Not sure why you would write that if you were not.