contradictory information yet again about dog walking!

skinnydipper

Visit site
https://northyorkshire.police.uk/news/covid-checkpoints/

The checkpoints will be unannounced and could appear anywhere any time.

Some dos and don’ts
  • Do not travel to local beauty spots to exercise, do it from home alone or with a member of your household
  • Do not go out “just for a drive”
  • Do not meet up with others including family and friends
  • Do follow the Government restrictions without question

Last edited:

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Don’t suppose you know which police service the person was from do you JB? Or which programme so I can listen on iPlayer? Just so I can argue the point if challenged!
I've re-listened since posting as I was in the car when I heard it. It was actually a journalist who'd spent time with the police counsel to clarify. It's on R4, today's World At One, starts around 12 mins 30 I think.

Visit site
Off topic here but didnt want start another thread.
i have made arrangements for my dogs due to my cancer diagnosis. BUT if I get the virus and pop off what would happen? The house would be infected so would I ,so no one would want to come in and take the dogs would they? Worrying me a bit

palo1

Visit site
Newent got thoroughly traumatised when I walked my dogs through town today... amazing how an aggressive terrier, a couple of large greyhounds and an over-friendly lurcher can remind everyone of the 2 metre rule.... ?
View attachment 42912

I love Newent!! Don't they have enough trouble there with all them dressage groupies without you adding to the congregating hordes Lev?!! Hahahahaha!!
:D:D:D I collected my first wonderful greyhound from the GRWE kennels near there - I remember every minute of that day. I haven't commented on this thread but I do think it would be far safer for you to tootle off 5 minutes to the woods if you can. :)

{97702}

Visit site
I love Newent!! Don't they have enough trouble there with all them dressage groupies without you adding to the congregating hordes Lev?!! Hahahahaha!!
:D:D:D I collected my first wonderful greyhound from the GRWE kennels near there - I remember every minute of that day. I haven't commented on this thread but I do think it would be far safer for you to tootle off 5 minutes to the woods if you can. :)

OMG you got your hound from Bullar Tree! That’s where my beloved Talisker came from, who I lost in 2008.... I still remember collecting him in 2003, I was new to the whole rescue thing and I was so traumatised when they fished him out, tested him with my dogs, micro chipped him then and there and handed him over ?

Such happy memories, sorry to digress - and yes, of course I adore our dressage folk ❤️ nothing like hacking out around the lanes and thinking ‘hmmm, I’m sure that’s Alan on Valegro’... it genuinely did happen ❤️❤️❤️

{97702}

Visit site
Have dogs completely fill your 2m radius, that's brilliant!

I knew George would bark, and people would find the boys intimidating because of their size (even though neither of them would hurt a fly!) - I really didn’t expect Millie to want to throw her arms around everyone she met so she could tell them how much she loved them ? There were some quite startled people ??? (obv I didn’t let her get anywhere near anyone before anyone panics!)

palo1

Visit site
OMG you got your hound from Bullar Tree! That’s where my beloved Talisker came from, who I lost in 2008.... I still remember collecting him in 2003, I was new to the whole rescue thing and I was so traumatised when they fished him out, tested him with my dogs, micro chipped him then and there and handed him over ?

Such happy memories, sorry to digress - and yes, of course I adore our dressage folk ❤️ nothing like hacking out around the lanes and thinking ‘hmmm, I’m sure that’s Alan on Valegro’... it genuinely did happen ❤️❤️❤️

Yes Bullar Tree but I can't quite think of the date - definately over 20 years ago; my lovely Spider was the toast of the Millenium party I went to but I had had him a little while then :) :) He was such a fabulous dog. I had the choice between him ( a beautiful blue dog with a white chest and white toes or a chocolate brown dog). He was the least sad of the two so I took him and didn't realise that I now had a matching cat and dog till I got home!! Terribly smart but not as smart as hacking out expecting to meet Valegro...! Nothing like that here :) I too though have had the experience of barely being able to walk down our usually very rural and deserted lane for all of the huge numbers of sudden converts to dog walking, jogging and cycling. Thank goodness we have our own fields. There is no way that I could allow Red any freedom at all if I had to walk locally at the moment yet usually we can stroll down the lane off-lead without even considering meeting anyone else/strangers/unknown/anti social dogs. I wouldn't hesitate under these circs to drive 2 miles to the nearest deserted spot if I didn't have the option to stay home. I am just hoping that all these poor over-walked local dogs and dog walkers go back to their normal habits soon; it is actually really irritating in some strange, irrational and sadly uncharitable way. I wish I was a slightly better human! :)

cbmcts

Visit site
Off topic here but didnt want start another thread.
i have made arrangements for my dogs due to my cancer diagnosis. BUT if I get the virus and pop off what would happen? The house would be infected so would I ,so no one would want to come in and take the dogs would they? Worrying me a bit

Looking at the very worse case scenario, I know in my area (Essex) that when the police arrest someone/go into a house where someone has died/or has to be taken to hospital the pets are removed to the vets who act as the OOH dog warden or they are removed by the dog wardens to local kennels. They are not left in the house even if someone has volunteered to feed them or look after them. When one person I know had to be rushed to hospital, the DW wouldn't release the dogs to anybody until the person was well enough to authorise it. They did say that if written instructions had been left somewhere prominent (Stuck to the fridge?) that they would let someone have the dogs but the dogs would still go to the vets/kennels first and paperwork filled out before they were released as animals are property and their is a duty not to dispose of 'property' willy nilly.

It might be worth an email to your local dog wardens asking what the procedure was and what would need to happen so the dogs could be passed on safely in your circumstances?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Stick a note on the board if you have one with doctor’s name, vet’s etc. My tenant asked if she could give me her mum’s number in Greece. The first we‘d know of any problems is if the rent weren’t paid! I’m hoping she remains healthy! ?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I have left written instructions in "normal "emergency i.e if I dropped dead at home ! , but not with the virus present?

I completely understand your worry but they will have systems in place and I'm 100% sure that nobody will just abandon your dogs. I just had a chat with a friend who is a dog warden here and he tells me he would go in, retrieve the dogs, bath them, and then follow whatever instructions have been left.

{97702}

Visit site
Yes Bullar Tree but I can't quite think of the date - definately over 20 years ago; my lovely Spider was the toast of the Millenium party I went to but I had had him a little while then :):) He was such a fabulous dog. I had the choice between him ( a beautiful blue dog with a white chest and white toes or a chocolate brown dog). He was the least sad of the two so I took him and didn't realise that I now had a matching cat and dog till I got home!! Terribly smart but not as smart as hacking out expecting to meet Valegro...! Nothing like that here :) I too though have had the experience of barely being able to walk down our usually very rural and deserted lane for all of the huge numbers of sudden converts to dog walking, jogging and cycling. Thank goodness we have our own fields. There is no way that I could allow Red any freedom at all if I had to walk locally at the moment yet usually we can stroll down the lane off-lead without even considering meeting anyone else/strangers/unknown/anti social dogs. I wouldn't hesitate under these circs to drive 2 miles to the nearest deserted spot if I didn't have the option to stay home. I am just hoping that all these poor over-walked local dogs and dog walkers go back to their normal habits soon; it is actually really irritating in some strange, irrational and sadly uncharitable way. I wish I was a slightly better human! :)

Confession time.... after reading your post, I immediately rang my mum (aged 81) Because my reaction to your post reminded me of her :eek:

Me: '20 years ago? oh no, Talisker was a LOT more recent than that'.... then came the dawning realisation that I am getting like my mum :D :D :D

I genuinely don't think you need to wish you were a better human (warning: sycophantic outbreak!) - you are definitely one of the few HHOers I would really like to meet in RL :) Not sure that is a stunning endorsement, but I'd also love to meet Red if that helps :)

palo1

Visit site
Blimey, that is good going!! You must have better social and communication skills than I; not completely a rolling stone as I do have some quite lifelong friends but many sadly seem to have fallen by the wayside...That will be something to look forward to then !! :) :)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
We did - a couple of times due to MM’s lovely kindness and generosity! Crumbs that is a blast from the past mind you ????

I was trying to work out how long ago the first one was, I reckon 11 years. Evie will be 12 in May and she was only young. Still have the same bath in the field too (not for the overnight campers I should add :) )