contradictory information yet again about dog walking!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Yes. There has been a steady drip feed from the government as to what is/is not acceptable re why/how long for you are permitted to leave your home, but as of now short car journeys to local areas are permitted.
They always have been allowed, but some police forces have overreacted and been draconian.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
well i am going to do the 5 min drive to my local park and walk my dogs from tomorrow. i am an oldie and have dodgy hips and back and the only walks direct from home involve hills and uneven going,, im fine going down but its really difficult going up. my local park is on the level and is mostly man made paths so pretty even...hopefully that wont be frowned upon...

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
well i am going to do the 5 min drive to my local park and walk my dogs from tomorrow. i am an oldie and have dodgy hips and back and the only walks direct from home involve hills and uneven going,, im fine going down but its really difficult going up. my local park is on the level and is mostly man made paths so pretty even...hopefully that wont be frowned upon...
Hopefully they won't have closed the car park, they've started doing that round here.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Here too. All shut. Today we walked a disused railway track with a ton of space for distancing and had to park on a road (we had gone out to shop for food). Track was deserted and car park sealed off.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
plenty round here are driving to dog walk walk, not proper car parks just the ends of droves where you can usually park 2 or 3 up.

alibali

Visit site
It always has been permitted to drive a short distance to exercise providing you avoid crowded areas and take sensible social distancing precautions like not touching gates and follow the country code like avoiding lambing sheep. In other words stay local and use common sense.

One of the most unfortunate sides of this situation is the guidelines could have been set out more clearly, this has lead to people interpreting the guidelines to suit what they think they ought to say rather than what they do say. Then chastising others who are actually complying carefully, lots and lots of social media shaming going on with no good reason. A situation not helped by several police forces acting well beyond their remit.

Of course the shameful scenes at Snowdonia (and elsewhere) must be prevented however not to the exclusion of allowing people to travel to their NEAREST safe exercise area. If everyone stays as local as they can then that removes the potential for overcrowding. So I'm happy for police to stop and question me when I'm driving to walk my dog, when they discover I'm driving less than 2 miles I wouldn't expect them to take action. However if I was stopped 10 miles away from home I would expect action to be taken, as I know for a fact there are many safe exercise areas nearer my house.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Matt Hancock apparently said on Question Time it was ok for people to get in their car and drive to take their dog for a walk.
I’m glad that you found that soundbite, I knew that a government bod had clarified that driving short distances to walk was acceptable, but I couldn’t then find the source again.

It’s been a continual drip feed of tweaks to the guidelines and tbh I’m not surprised that the police are finding it difficult to keep up with what’s allowed and what’s not. I’m still anticipating full lockdown, but I hope that I’m wrong.

hobo

Visit site
Just a thought for those that are having to drive a short distance to walk with or without a dog carry something with your address may help calm police if you get stopped.
I though quite quickly in to the crisis I am so glad that normally people do not bother to go tramping around the countryside and are happy on their phones ect!!

meleeka

Visit site
On my way back from the yard last night at around 8.45pm I noticed there were far more cars on the road than there have been lately. I do hope the novelty of it all isn’t wearing off for some :(

Cahill

Visit site
On my way back from the yard last night at around 8.45pm I noticed there were far more cars on the road than there have been lately. I do hope the novelty of it all isn’t wearing off for some :(
well around here the shops close at 8pm.....judging by the amount of poo on one short local walk i think people doing a quick evening walk and leaving their sh $ T.

Bradsmum

Visit site
Amymay I think the Welsh guidelines differ to other parts of the U.K. OH has informed me that Welsh government have stipulated that you can't drive somewhere to walk your dog - might be worth checking. This is where having different governing bodies within the UK makes it confusing and stupid.