controversial Post people who can’t afford their horse

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Land prices have had a massive impact as has housing. Land used to be a solid 8-9k an acre but is now around £15k. Add in global warming which sees the price of basics go up, taxation on equestrian vs agricultural and equestrian is going to become very elite.

It’s not the sum of one thing but the adding of many things. Tbh I see a lot who were on the basics line before all this and there does seem to be more livery spaces.

Esyllt

Visit site
Growing up I didn't have my own pony. It was(is) a luxury. I did volunteer at local stables that I could cycle to, and was a groom on weekends for the chance I may get a ride or a lesson. Only in my early 30s was I in a position to finance my own horse, and I would go without to make sure they had all they needed. Now I have my two medically retired ones, on land of our own (and that is through luck of inheritance), and while I don't have livery costs, due to the land being neglected for years before getting it, the amount that will be spent on fencing, machinery etc if the land dries up enough is eye watering. That's without what I'm currently spending buying in forage and bedding because they come off the fields at night for a break. But I go without, which is fine because that's how it should be to me. I made the choice to own them, so I owe them. I had no sympathy for the ones in the livery who had all the latest matchy matchy, went competing, had to try the latest fad, had holidays, hair, nails, nights out etc, then would put off care (medication, saddler etc) because they couldn't afford it. I think with as well as COL making essentials more expensive, the whole social media/influencer thing that goes on, means people want to present a champagne lifestyle on a shandy budget, and because appearances and what other people think of them matters more than the horse recieving 'boring' things like dentistry, a saddle fit, remedial farriery etc are the first to be dropped. That's without anything drastic happening and them needing a vet call out etc

equinerebel

Visit site
I see a lot of people dropping insurance and saying they won't put their horse through an expensive operation without really understanding that costs can build up just with 'normal' injuries. Then the credit cards have to come out and it all gets very horrible.
This is exactly why I'll keep my cover as it is until she "ages out" of it (she's only rising 18). I wouldn't put her through anything major because she's a massive stress head who can't cope with anything in her daily life changing and she wouldn't thank me for it, but all the "little" things add up too.

Fieldlife

Visit site
There are plenty of people who can’t afford their horses.

Yes they can afford the day to day basics and all is fine. Until it’s not.
Until there is a massive vet bill that the insurance doesn’t cover.
Until that cheap rented field they have had for years is no longer available.
Until their cheap livery yard calls it a day and gives notice.

We are accelerating towards these scenarios alarmingly quickly I’m afraid.
Or I know people on expensive part livery yards, that they manage to afford through paying sharers, which is fine until the horse has an ongoing health or soundness issue.

I keep my horse on livery, though it is not cheap. I am always looking for backup plans. And keep a running list of back up options.

Fieldlife

Visit site
I see a lot of people dropping insurance and saying they won't put their horse through an expensive operation without really understanding that costs can build up just with 'normal' injuries. Then the credit cards have to come out and it all gets very horrible.

Agree innocent conditions that run on a bit can cost far more than expect. I paid £1,500 odd for a fencing related injury that only needed ambulatory care.

I dropped my insurance when the renewal quote was thousands, and horse also had some significant exclusions. I have third party liability, tack insurance and KBIS catastrophe insurance, and a plan that I would put a huge bill on an interest free credit card and pay it off installments.

ecb89

Visit site
Land prices have had a massive impact as has housing. Land used to be a solid 8-9k an acre but is now around £15k. Add in global warming which sees the price of basics go up, taxation on equestrian vs agricultural and equestrian is going to become very elite.

It’s not the sum of one thing but the adding of many things. Tbh I see a lot who were on the basics line before all this and there does seem to be more livery spaces.
There is 10 acres for sale near me for £10 million!

holeymoley

Visit site
The problem for me is that the basics in life have increased insanely, mortgage, gas/electricity, insurances, fuel, food shop that as much as I can afford the lifestyle I have, I have less and less each month now going in to the savings pot.

My older horse, 22, isn't insured anymore so anything he vet-wise requires is dipped in to his saving fund I've put by. The youngster doesn't cost much but he's still a full rate at the livery yard and eats more or less the same as my older boy. Livery yards are scarce in our area, I've already posted before about mine but I personally don't see it being value for money with regards to facilities and costs- different story, but then there's no other option at the moment without driving miles which then adds more on to fuel and car. Youngster could easily be on grass livery somewhere but not practical in terms of distance to keep an eye on him as we have nothing in our area for it.

I do think we have a different 'type' of horse owner these days, I've known some people that seem to accumulate 3/4/5 horses yet stay in council housing and boldly declare they don't work. How that happens I don't know, but again, that's a topic for another day, but you do wonder how they are able to afford the worst if it comes to it.

Jambarissa

Visit site
Hmmm, given that forage should be the bulk of a horse's diet and you are offered adlib, I'd say this is more than cutting out feed. My cob gets half a scoop of Pure Easy a day and that's it. My mare gets just enough to hide half a bute sachet in it! If I cut that out it wouldn't affect their waistlines - just their enthusiasm for coming up the field!
Oh yes, one of them is old and the other is stressy and cba with hay so she's always been very vocal about her need to give large feeds to maintain weight.

She's also had them out for much longer than usual this winter, first out and last in. Maybe that's what fits with her work or maybe she's trying to save on bedding. She's now keen to get them out 24/7 which we usually do around Easter and asking if anyone else will leave out, our field is 70% mud atm so nope.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Every livery yard I've been on over the last 30 years has had at least one person that's tried to keep their horse/s on a shoestring. They can pay for the horse as long as *nothing* goes wrong, unfortunately with horses and life things do go wrong. I wouldn't want to have horses in that situation, I can't even imagine the stress.
Absolutely agree.
It starts with the can I afford a horse and people who have been lucky say its cost 10p a week... in reality the horse that you thought would be cheap, barefoot, no feed, hardy can end up being extremely high maintenance and at that point, sharers/loaners aren't interested.

I'm Dun

Visit site
The true cost of land is something that doesn’t feature in most evaluations here. The posts I am reading are from a horse owner’s perspective of the sum of horse ownership costs, and to be honest they are cheap considering the investment and time needed to keep land.

If I were to look at what my little yard (10 acres, expensive area) really costs… I probably spend £5k plus on maintenance and improvements per year. Insurance is over £700. And it cost £220k to buy, and if it were a livery yard (it isn’t) I would want a return on that investment of at least 5% (which I can get in a savings account). So if I ran it as a livery yard I’d need to get back £16.5k per year.

It would support 6 liveries if I didn’t have my own horses, and so each should pay £2.8k per year for being there - just to break even. So that would be £230 per month for DIY livery. Actually for the one livery I have, she pays £150 - nowhere close to the real financial value.

Surely the return on investment for land is the huge increase in value? Land value has gone up and up and up and up meaning people have made huge profits when they come to sell.

Fieldlife

Visit site
Surely the return on investment for land is the huge increase in value? Land value has gone up and up and up and up meaning people have made huge profits when they come to sell.
It is a factor, but does assume that you are not paying a mortgage or loan on the land and have bought it outright.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
But then you might as well not bother doing anything/having anything on it with it as that’s less effort and cost.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

And to add to this the most routine of cuts that don't even need stitching are now having vet visits, anything that a staple can be got in is being stapled, and the whole leg bandaged, which runs into the hundreds without the bandage necrosis that then won't respond to antibiotics, arthritis made symptomatic by box rest etc, etc

Gone are the days when you used to let it scab over and chuck them out to walk off the filling and stop it stiffening up.

It may be correct but it's extremely expensive.

Fieldlife

Visit site
And to add to this the most routine of cuts that don't even need stitching are now having vet visits, anything that a staple can be got in is being stapled, and the whole leg bandaged, which runs into the hundreds without the bandage necrosis that then won't respond to antibiotics, arthritis made symptomatic by box rest etc, etc

Gone are the days when you used to let it scab over and chuck them out to walk off the filling and stop it stiffening up.

It may be correct but it's extremely expensive.
Not sure it is correct, there should be a certain amount of common sense to wound management. My vets have given advice based on photos etc. I do agree some junior vets seem under pressure to do this.

Surely you learn with horse ownership which wounds are superficial, which will heal, which need a vet, and which (like puncture wounds) need a vet NOW.

My horse lives out, doesnt much like being stabled. I have turned out with a hock pressage being worn after surgery with vet agreement etc.

Abacus

Visit site

That has historically been the case but is not guaranteed, a quick google says that it has been about 5.7% per year for the last 100 years (Savills). So similar to current savings accounts with decent rates (I don't know about bonds and longer term investments). You might get lucky in property booms, or unlucky in recessions.

If I bought a business for a comparable amount of money, I would expect a return per year even if it was increasing in value.

I'm Dun

Visit site
That has historically been the case but is not guaranteed, a quick google says that it has been about 5.7% per year for the last 100 years (Savills). So similar to current savings accounts with decent rates (I don't know about bonds and longer term investments). You might get lucky in property booms, or unlucky in recessions.

If I bought a business for a comparable amount of money, I would expect a return per year even if it was increasing in value.

But the business would generate a profit monthly as opposed to land which gains in value long term, and has the mortgage paid off by the business. There is absolutley no way the return on land has been 5.7% over a 100yrs, if its 5.7% per year in that 100yrs then thats different and hugely more. When you add in the liveries covering the mortgage then its even more again.

Abacus

Visit site
But the business would generate a profit monthly as opposed to land which gains in value long term, and has the mortgage paid off by the business. There is absolutley no way the return on land has been 5.7% over a 100yrs, if its 5.7% per year in that 100yrs then thats different and hugely more. When you add in the liveries covering the mortgage then its even more again.

I did say, 5.7% per year. The source was a Savill’s report.

Liveries don’t cover a mortgage. Mine was put on the house mortgage and at current rates would add £1320 per month to that mortgage. More if it was a commercial mortgage or business loan. So 6 liveries would have to pay more than £200 each just to cover that, more for maintenance.

Kaylum

Visit site
Charities are having to deal with the increasing costs of horse ownership. So many waiting to come in. The charities costs are also increasing. Its no long a case of rescuing those in desperate need. There are so many can't afford to look after their horses if something goes wrong like stables/fields have been sold, increase cost of vet bills the list is endless. These animals may well end up in desperate need if their needs are not met.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
it's certainly getting that way!

my livery has been increased by 1/3
feet trimming has more than doubled
feed costs are through the roof, probably double
hay costs, I've tried various suppliers to cut the cost.

everyone is increasing their fees by £5, but when you have two or three horses needing those services, £5 for the trimmer, dentist, physio etc all adds up.

I pretty much cry every time I see a FB post from a professional saying their price is going up.

I've told my farmers I need to sell a horse and they've told me my livery will be the same price, regardless or me having 2 or 3 horses. so I've ended up having to get a sharer for my best horse, so now I'm paying out all of this money and only getting to ride her once a week :'( Its very depressing. I have a good job, good salary but I live alone. I've not been on holiday since 2018, I rarely buy anything for me! it sucks!

oh and to add on to that, our hacking is shocking now, roads are getting so dangerous, no bridleways near by! closest school to hire is a 25 min hack away, on the dangerous roads! If I wasn't alone, i would seriously considering moving away but I'm too scared to do that on my own.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
There are plenty of people who can’t afford their horses.

Yes they can afford the day to day basics and all is fine. Until it’s not.
Until there is a massive vet bill that the insurance doesn’t cover.
Until that cheap rented field they have had for years is no longer available.
Until their cheap livery yard calls it a day and gives notice.

We are accelerating towards these scenarios alarmingly quickly I’m afraid.

Yes, I think I maybe worded my own post wrong about horse ownership being easier than some people make it.
In "some" (and I realise this doesn't apply to all) cases people could cut down on certain things in order to afford the horse/s such as does horse really need shoes? Could it just have fronts? Does it really need to be stabled...are there opportunities to have it living out or spending more time out etc? Does it really need anything more than a basic balancer feed? And so on.
In tougher cases of hardship should we be willing to consider pts more readily for older, injured etc horses?? What about charities that are taking and funding large "companion " horses?? Just some thoughts really, I do understand that cases are highly individual and its not always as cut snd dried. I have 2 horses and adore them both but if push came to shove I could sell one to free up some financial strain, not my first choice but I'd fo it rather than affect their welfare and not be able to cope.

Tarragon

Visit site
I think that the key message is whatever the thing is we are considering, whether horse, car or mortgage (or even children :D!), your sensible approach is to consider (a) the initial cost (I know children don't come into this!) (b) on going costs and (c) contingency planning. You always have to leave wriggle room to allow for the unexpected, and have a plan B if it all goes wrong and you have to be prepared to adapt!
The scale of horse keeping has two very different extremes, from DIY field-kept hairy pony level, to competition horse at full livery. From £20 per week per pony with very little outlay needed on feed and bedding, to exorbitant costs. And both of these are available and are options. Up to you where you want to fit it, but don't complain if you can't afford it, it is, after all, a hobby for most of us.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I think that the key message is whatever the thing is we are considering, whether horse, car or mortgage (or even children :D!), your sensible approach is to consider (a) the initial cost (I know children don't come into this!) (b) on going costs and (c) contingency planning. You always have to leave wriggle room to allow for the unexpected, and have a plan B if it all goes wrong and you have to be prepared to adapt

Up to a point but I'm not sure if even sensible planning would have led me to allow for my electricity costs trebling and basic foodstuffs going up by at least a third.

Similar increases in feed and bedding.

katie_southwest

Visit site
Im in my 30's, living with my mum because I'm single and have a 26 year old mare who is on Prascend and can't eat hay anymore so lives off trugs and trugs of hay replacer (this long winter is not helping this situation)!
I would never ever change the last 18 years of owning her. She is my best friend and I will be heartbroken when she isn't here anymore.
But honestly, I could never afford another one. Not without resigning myself to another 20 years of living with my mum , which I'm sure she doesn't want 😆
So sadly unless I win the lottery any time soon my days of horse ownership will be over once she's gone.
I will still ride, but not own my own. I just feel that unless you have a very good salary it's impossible to own and look after them without constant worry.

Esmae

Visit site
Horse ownership has always been expensive. Nowadays there is far more stuff that people seem to think they need or want. A lot can be saved if you only purchase the essentials. In my adult life I have had 6 holidays usually only 5 day jobs. I don't mind that. It has a been a choice I decided to make. I would rather have had my horses anyday over transient things like holidays etc. I'm getting on now and even though I keep mine at home, I won't be having any more when my mare goes (she is 31) some of that is due to my age but a lot is the increasing costs that go with horse ownership. Would I change any of it? Not on your life. I have loved it all, even this wet winter.

SO1

Visit site
I have been lucky with my career that when I have needed more money I have been able to get a better paid job.

I am not at the top of my earning potential yet I think and I have been really fortunate in my current role to expand my experience by taking on things that I have not done before which increases my earning potential.

I think there is a massive element of luck when it comes to horses. It is the vet bills that can easily spiral out of control.

I think a lot is spent on balancers and supplements to try and keep horses healthy but I am not entirely sure if it is clever marketing or if they genuinely make a difference. It is easy to get sucked into these things.

I have also been on yards where horses have rarely seen vets and people have just waited and 9/10 the horse just got better with rest. There were horses that never saw the saddler, the phyiso or the dentist and lived off grass and hay that looked really well. However they were only in light work mainly gentle hacking in straight lines. There was a cough virus going round and only 2 of us got the vet out. Everyone else just waited until their horse got better. Homey saw the vet but he didn't get better any quicker with medication than the horses that didn't see the vet.

I had horses as a child paid for by my parents kept at home the sort of home where the ponies had basic care so farrier and that was it. I did pony club. I then had a long break from horse ownership until I was 35. I rode at the riding school and then got a share. I did a lot of travelling and had some amazing travel experiences got into debt to do it. Paid it off as well as my small student loan, there were no tuition fees when I went to uni and I got a grant as well.

My friends started getting married and having kids, my share horse got sold and I decided to buy my own and got Homey.

I really should not have got Bert as I said I would not have another after Homey due to the cost but I thought I would have had Homey for another 10 years longer I thought he make into his 30s by which time I would be 60s but he only made it to 20.

My plan was then to travel the world and go on amazing riding holidays but I developed a really bad fear of flying which would make solo travel impossible. I think if I had not developed this flying phobia I probably would not have got another horse. I also think if I wasn't single or childless I would not have got another horse either.

I managed to save a lot of money in the year that I didn't have a horse and I was spending around £120 a week at the riding school twice a week. It was a good job I did as Bert has cost a lot in vets bills and various other things and due to the situation with my parents I have had to rely on my instructor a lot to exercise him.

scats

Visit site
I don’t keep my horses cheaply because I am able not to. I don’t have a husband or kids and I don’t go on holidays. So the girls get what they need, and more. Regular chiro, dentist every 9 months, feet every 6 weeks, if a rug rips I just buy a new one (and eventually patch the old one to use as a spare). They have good shavings beds with 2 bales added every week, but I put more down if needed. If they need a vet, they get a vet. If they need expensive investigations in hospital, they get it, whether the insurance covers them or not.

Could I keep them more cheaply? Absolutely, particularly if they lived out full time, but the set up I have works for us. I’m never going to have kids, so the girls essentially fill that for me. Every decision I make is generally based around what works best for them.
I don’t have a huge income, but what I do earn pretty much funds all my animals and my two vehicles. I’m happy with that.

I do see things on social media that concern me. People not getting a horse veterinary treatment because they can’t afford it. I do think that if you can’t afford to pay for a vet when needed, you shouldn’t have an animal.
I had to find just under £4k last year to pay for my tortoise’s surgery. It involved using my savings and a credit card. A few friends raised their eyebrows at this, but when I take an animal on, I commit to doing what is right by them.

Goldenstar

Visit site

Horse owners looking for somewhere for their horse to live struggle to understand that money invested must make a return they always have and always will .
That’s why I don’t have livery’s.

Last edited:

ponyparty

Visit site
To me, getting a vet or other professional when a horse needs it isn’t a luxury, it’s an essential. But many don’t seem to see it that way.
It’s our responsibility as owners to make sure we’ve got enough funds available to pay for vet bills (as well as insurance where appropriate) if needed, and/or to have a pragmatic approach with the welfare of the horse at the forefront of the mind when it comes to drawing a line at treatment vs management vs pts.
I know of people years back who were blacklisted from most local vet practices due to non payment of bills. And this is way before cost of living crisis, on one of the cheapest yards going at about £20 per week. Same yard, horse needing a vet, owner wouldn’t but was happy to pay for a reiki woman so horse could “talk to her”.

shanti

Visit site
I do see things on social media that concern me. People not getting a horse veterinary treatment because they can’t afford it. I do think that if you can’t afford to pay for a vet when needed, you shouldn’t have an animal.
I had to find just under £4k last year to pay for my tortoise’s surgery. It involved using my savings and a credit card. A few friends raised their eyebrows at this, but when I take an animal on, I commit to doing what is right by them.
Absolutely agree. I see so many people posting for advice on Facebook about issues that urgently need vet attention. It's horrible.
In the past 3 months I have taken a limping duck and a sick guinea pig to the vet at a combined cost of over $1500. People asked why I would bother and it honestly confused me, I would never think not to take any of my animals to the vet, no matter their size or statue 🤷