Cordless clippers that don't require selling your first-born

Caol Ila

Visit site
Although if I had a first-born to sell, I totally would.

Joking aside, yeah, I'm after some cordless clippers and after a quick scan of the internet, the prices have made me want to crawl into a hole. As do the choices. There are so many! Foinavon needs clipping, but he's never been clipped in his life. Borrowing a friend's or paying the barn staff for the densensitization work is not really happening. Besides, with two horses, having my own isn't a stupid long term solution. I want cordless because I think it will be easier with a nervous horse who doesn't like flappy things -- one less problem -- and plugs are hard to come by. He could be totally chill with it, or a drama queen, and if the latter, not operating on other people's time makes it less pants. The jury is out either way.

Or I could just buy a big vibrator and explain to any passing yard children, "This isn't what it looks like. It really isn't."

I only clipped Gypsum in the last year of her life. She never got too hairy, so we could get by with her winter coat until old age/cushings starting f*cking with her metabolism and she couldn't manage temperature regulation well anymore. But the fluffy Highland is a fluffy Highland.

Can anyone recommend any? Does anyone know where to find used ones?

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Friend purchased a set of Masterclip ones a couple of years ago. They were approx £200. I used to have Lister Showman which need repairing as they died. I clip her pony for her, so I use hers for mine too in return. Great clippers and I can use my Lister blades with them. They are easy to handle and come with two rechargeable batteries.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I tend to go with the Buy Cheap Buy Twice philosophy with things like this.
I have got Liveryman Black Beauty clippers now, my last set of liveryman clippers were still going strong at about 20 years+ and I sold them to go towards the purchase of these. I figured that was a good indication that these would be durable too. they have a battery pack but can also run off the mains. I really like that you can turn the speed down on them which is ideal for nervous or tickly horses. Turn the speed up and they whizz through big coats.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I have a set of masterclip (roamers? The cordless ones), which weren't cheap, but 100% worth it, I've introduced 3 horses to the concept of clippers, clipped the old boy all last winter and once so far this year, clipped a fatty dartmoor to help shift some pounds and clipped an overheating miniature shetland last winter, spring and twice since this autumn (They've also been used to dag sheep with a livestock blade attached). If I'd had to bring someone in to do all of that I'd easily have spent 2 times the cost of the clippers and had the stress of "needing them to behave" while someone else to came out to clip, rather than being able to let them get used to it with no time pressure.
They're also quite (very) loud, so I feel reasonably confident that should I need someone else to clip, or if I change clippers in the future, they'll be as desensitised as possible ?.
I tend to agree with milliepops about buying cheap- and they'll pay for themselves very quickly if you need to clip more than once a year, or more than one horse.

Bernster

Visit site
For desensitisation I’ve just downloaded a basic clipper noise app on my phone, it has sound and vibrations. It’s a prank app and free, not intended for this but gonna try that and then actual clippers !

Hepsibah

Visit site
What kind of clip are you wanting to do? I bought one of these last year to do a couple of apron clips on my Highland and my OH's cob so it would do a chaser on one or a trace. It's reasonably quiet too. Not sure it would be up to a full clip though.

McFluff

Visit site
I used an electric toothbrush to desensitise my mare. I needed to. She was clipped three times a year and needed sedated (she’d squash you against the wall, genuine fear). Once she learned to ignore the toothbrush (took a few weeks) I then got Heiniger Xplorers (after many recommendations on here). They are quiet and easy to use, and she would stand quietly for me. I can do a full clip easily on a charge (I’m a clipping novice, so take a while!). Mine paid for themselves within a year (no sedation or paying someone).
I’ve since lost the mare, but use them on my other two. they’re now four and still look like new.

DirectorFury

Visit site
Thanks for this post CI, you’ve just prompted me to finally upgrade from the Heineger Xperience to the Xplorers (cordless version), which I’ve been talking about doing for about 6 years!

NinjaPony

Visit site
I use Heineger Xplorers to clip my sensitive welshie. I can do a full clip on one charge which is great and because they are cordless you can manoeuvre around the tricky areas. My pony has an incredibly thick coat but I can still get a decent enough finish on him. These are my first clippers and I taught myself to clip with them, and I'm very pleased with them.

chaps89

Visit site
I’ve just sold my lister libertys as I don’t envisage clipping regularly again for a while. I loved them, they’re not as quiet as a friends super expensive set but quieter than other mains clippers, and no cable to go dragging about.

Second hand you can pick a set up about £200-ish, just ask about service history, have they been stored indoors, have they been charged between uses if not used frequently. (Second two are important as that will affect battery performance and the new batteries are pretty spendy) (Apologies if you already know this!)

Maybe that might be an option if new new is just too much?

For de-sensitisation, little pony is very noise sensitive so I bought a pair of pet trimmers off Amazon (or if your OH is more agreeable than mine, just nab his electric razor if he has one) and got him used to clippers with that.

Auslander

Visit site
I bought some Masterclip MD Roamers a few weeks ago, for all the jobs that I can't be bothered to fire up my big Hauptners for, and I've been pleasantly surprised. They cost £150 and are lightweight, quiet, and powerful enough to do a full clip.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Plan is to start with a trace clip and see how he goes. But he's fluffy, and in the dim and distant future when Hermosa is in work, she might need clipped as well depending on how furry she gets.

Roxylola

Visit site
Masterclip roamers are probably the cheapest on the market. They are heavy, loud and get hot very quickly. But they clip well and seem not too bad for vibration based on Charlie being ok with them even though he's known to be a bit funny about that.
That said, the second hand pair I've been using (a lot) for the last 2 years blew up mid clip a couple of weeks ago. I've replaced them with a set of corded heinigers which I prefer I terms of noise, weight etc. Given the choice I'd have got cordless again but I had a choice of 3 corded so just went with the cheapest

atropa

Visit site
I blanket/full clip my Highland (and do various other clips on two other horses) with Liveryman Harmony clippers. They're definitely not as heavy duty as some and it does take longer to clip Highland with them in comparison to say my WB, BUT they are very, very quiet, cordless and a good price.
I'm now looking at buying Masterclip HD Roamers to do my WB and Highland but would still be keeping the Harmonys for my sensitive ISH

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I bought Masterclip Roamers and as a complete novice they work really well and do a nice clip. However compared to the more expensive makes that my friends have they are huge and heavy. I’ve only one horse to clip and have only needed to do an Irish clip once per year so economically they’re fine for me but if I had a few to clip and more often I’d probably invest in something else.

Boulty

Visit site
I've heard good things about liveryman black beauty ones. I keep coveting them but am making do with my wolsely goshawks for now until they break (I do NOT recommend them for thick Highland coats though... I have to tension the life out of them to get them to co operate & they frequently cut out when the blades get clogged.... They're more at home clipping finer coats!)

I'd second an electric toothbrush as a desensitizing tool though.

Cowpony

Visit site
I've got Heiniger Xplorers and they are great. I only clip 2 or 3 times a year, but they have paid for themselves over 3 - 4 years and still look/work like new. I had them serviced recently and the guy who did them said he recommends Heinigers every time. The only other make he liked was Wolsey, but he said they don't make them any more. He very strongly warned me off buying cheap ones. Apparently they are often made in China, and when they inevitably break down you can't get the parts for them.

Nasicus

Visit site
I've done multiple full clips with my Liveryman Elements on my old mare that hated being clipped. Nice and quiet, internal battery although you can plug them into the wall if you run out of juice.
I also have the Lister Liberty clippers and Libretto trimmer, really rate the Libretto as a small, quiet trimmer, I have (once again) done full clips with them and used them to introduce 3 different ponies to clippers.