Coronavirus and money

L&M

Visit site
I am not sure that planning to sell an expensive item is a viable strategy. Who are you going to sell it to? People are trying to keep their distance from each other, especially in unnecessary transactions and too many people will be saving their pennies for there to be much of a market.
No-one knows what the future holds for them/their family, so I doubt that making major changes to management is a good idea, either - and please think about your poor farrier, if everyone cuts back on footcare.

My partner is a farrier, and so far has had no cancellations, despite a few clients self isolating. He has even picked up a few extra sets this week as possibly people anticipate riding more if they are stuck at home.....who knows?

But please don't make your farrier the first on the list to cut back on......a good farrier is worth their weight in gold and worth supporting for what is hopefully just a few mnths of difficulties.

A far better money saving tip is to cut out any unnecessary hard feed, and once ground allows, letting horses live off the land where possible.

Keep safe and well all xx

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Mine are at home so I’m hoping even if I/we get ill we will be able to get them done between us. Daughter has one at a yard, if things get really desperate he will have to come here aswell I guess.
I don’t think I can keep them any cheaper in all honesty apart from cheaper feed but that would only save minimal money.
Luckily I pay my field rent once a year and have put a bit aside each week all year for that so as if next month will have paid up another year.

Leo Walker

Visit site
But please don't make your farrier the first on the list to cut back on......a good farrier is worth their weight in gold and worth supporting for what is hopefully just a few mnths of difficulties.

If you are living off £94 a week sick pay it wont be a choice. You wont have the money to pay the farrier. And sadly thats going to be the reality for a lot of people :(

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Cheaper to cancel the tv licence. We have the cheapo £6 Netflix.. tv licence is twice that ;)

In fairness many people cant just cancel their phone contracts.

Maybe in future those people will not tie themselves into long term phone contracts, and will take contracts that can be cancelled with one month's notice.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Maybe in future those people will not tie themselves into long term phone contracts, and will take contracts that can be cancelled with one month's notice.
Hmm. I don't know. People on zero hours insecure contracts probably would be wise to consider it but people in permanent secure full time work with all the associated employee protection are usually able to pay a £30/month contract (say) without too much issue. I very much doubt many people like that expected to be out of work due to something like this.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I dont think people should be criticised for having a phone on contract! What else shouldnt they have? A mortgage? A horse? A car? This is an unprecedented situation. Lots of people are going to struggle financially and could never ever have predicted it. A £30 phone contract isnt going to be the difference between sinking or swimming for someone on 35k who is now on £94 a week instead!

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Today Ive cancelled all subscription services, for the whole family (not popular with teens), daughter and I have sorted through bathroom cabinets and cosmetic drawers to pool all of our cosmetics, shampoos etc. No more to be purchased until they have run out.

Planted a full vege garden and harvesting what is there. I don’t care if the teens don’t want salad every night, suck it up - that’s what is on the menu.

Meat will now only be served two nights per week.

No processed food - fresh food only purchased from our local market stalls. Bread maker got pulled out of the back of the cupboard as there is limited bread in supermarkets in Aussie.

Swapping Veges for eggs with neighbour.

Horse rugs that needed replacing have just been purchased from UK sales as you are changing season and turnout rugs are on sale. Cheaper than buying in Aussie.

Australia dodged the GFC and we have had 27 straight years of growth. There is a whole generation that have never experienced a recession. I’m old enough to have experienced the 1987-1989 downturn when I lived in the UK. It’s not pretty.

I think the UK will adapt quickly as you remember the GFC. Aussie not so much and household debt is at a record high here. Bunkering down. Wallet shut tightly.

dorsetladette

Visit site
That's me off work for 7 days. Someone within the building (in another office/department) has a temperature and a headache.
Ive been told it won't effect salary for now. Work haven't had time to put in place equipment for people to work from home quick enough either.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I don't think that's reasonable, Keith, but I do think a generation may learn to 'put something by for a rainy day' like my generation learnt from the generation before us who went through a war.

And to lighten the mood a little, my mother in law had terminal cancer and my sister in law wanted her to spend some of her savings to buy a motorised recliner. 'That's my money for a rainy day' she said. SiL replied 'Mum, it's f*cking pouring!'.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
People will have to start and think.Otherwise there will be abandoned horses,cats and dogs.That is the reality.I think that you will find that commerce is still continuing and indeed must.Perhaps you have better ideas than mine? Please share them.

I think a lot of people could cut back on feed, especially if their horses are doing less work, which will probably be the case longterm. Any-one who competes regularly will save a lot of money this year. No-one will be impulse buying numnahs/rugs/other stuff at shows, or indeed, anywhere except online. If you can find someone who wants to buy your expensive items, you go ahead but I wouldn't bank on it. And footcare is just about the last thing to cut back on imo.

Michen

Visit site
I don't think that's reasonable, Keith, but I do think a generation may learn to 'put something by for a rainy day' like my generation learnt from the generation before us who went through a war.

And to lighten the mood a little, my mother in law had terminal cancer and my sister in law wanted her to spend some of her savings to buy a motorised recliner. 'That's my money for a rainy day' she said. SiL replied 'Mum, it's f*cking pouring!'.

Completely agree. I’m one of those that spends what I earn, I certainly don’t have a nest egg and really should. I have a sort of contingency plan on ways to reduce my monthly outgoings straight away. But there’s no excuse for it really! I could access about 10k on credit cards if I needed to, and sell my horsebox (not that anyone would buy at the moment) so if everything went completely bonkers I’ve got ways to cover the basics.

I guess plenty of people will be in the same boat re being able to use money on CC’s etc, but for those on low incomes it will be a real struggle to ever pay back and scarey amounts of money to borrow.

I think for many with their horses they can be kept at a much reduced cost if needed. Most horses can have shoes off and be turned out 24/7 on grass livery if necessary. Those with health or management issues not so much, and that will be a real battle for some.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
*possibly* people who compete will save money - my monthly subs to BD will still go out and if we get to the point where owners are not allowed to go to livery yards to care for their horses, the cost of full livery suddenly being imposed will be far in excess of the cost of an entry every fortnight o_O

Michen

Visit site
I think a lot of people could cut back on feed, especially if their horses are doing less work, which will probably be the case longterm. Any-one who competes regularly will save a lot of money this year. No-one will be impulse buying numnahs/rugs/other stuff at shows, or indeed, anywhere except online. If you can find someone who wants to buy your expensive items, you go ahead but I wouldn't bank on it. And footcare is just about the last thing to cut back on imo.

I do think loads of horses are unnecessarily shod though. Who knows we may come out of this with horses with much better feet!!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you can find someone who wants to buy your expensive items, you go ahead but I wouldn't bank on it.

I nearly fell out of bed just now. I've had a £450 saddle seat (just the seat) up for sale for coming up for a year this spring, and I've just had a message asking me if it's still for sale ! Just when we are all discussing people losing their jobs and whether anyone should ride at all.

Definitely unexpected, that one.

eahotson

Visit site
I am in the very fortunate position of not having to do any of those things. I have a secure and good income.Not everyone is as lucky as I am.Hard choices will have to be made by a lot of people.If a few small measures help people to keep themselves and their families fed and housed and they can hang on to their no doubt much loved horses until better times then so be it.Whatever decisions are taken will impact on some business and someones employment sadly.

Michen

Visit site

I nearly fell out of bed just now. I've had a £450 saddle seat (just the seat) up for sale for coming up for a year this spring, and I've just had a message asking me if it's still for sale ! Just when we are all discussing people losing their jobs and whether anyone should ride at all.

Definitely unexpected, that one.

maybe I should try selling Sybil after all.. or Bear ;)

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Surely all owners of livestock, including horses will be able to care for them? Any lockdown would allow essential services to continue, wouldn't they?
Feeling for anyone whose job is insecure though ((((hugs)))) to you.

I've just read an article about a Swedish horseowner who lives in Barcelona, Spain. There, it seems to be up to the owners of the stables/fields, if they only allow staff to care for the horses, or if they also allow owners to come and take care of their horses.
The owner in the article had a stable owner who had chosen the first option.

Aoife 2020

Visit site
It won’t affect my horses care as for now but all of use would find it hard to leave our homes if a lockdown is anointed that’s were we could have problems to be honest I don’t think the Irish or uk government would care very much about people with animals . I am seriously considering turning my horse out 24/7 if that happens. Has anyone read what Spanish and French horse owners are going through they aren’t allowed to see there horses only staff are allowed into the stables.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It won’t affect my horses care as for now but all of use would find it hard to leave our homes if a lockdown is anointed that’s were we could have problems to be honest I don’t think the Irish or uk government would care very much about people with animals . I am seriously considering turning my horse out 24/7 if that happens. Has anyone read what Spanish and French horse owners are going through they aren’t allowed to see there horses only staff are allowed into the stables.
This is NOT true; in Spain each stables is making it's own decisions as to how much contact is allowed. Riding is not allowed, but all basic care is of course required. Animal welfare is not going to suffer; farming is essential.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I saw a young woman ride her horse out of the yard across the street from my house, yesterday afternoon...

If she was breaking the isolation rules, she could have been whacked with a €135 fine. But it's a grey area; there are five authorised reasons marked on the travel permit for going out (each with certain conditions and restrictions):
  • travel to and from work, travel as part of work;
  • travel to and from shops or markets providing the bare necessities of life;
  • travel for health reasons;
  • travel for unavoidable family reasons, to help a vulnerable person, or for taking care of children (this includes, among other cases, that of separated parents who have joint custody who are allowed to travel to each other's homes to hand over their children);
  • "brief" travel for reasons of physical exercise but excluding group activities, or for the needs of pets.
The travel permit doesn't mention limits on the distance of travel, but I heard a recording on the radio yesterday of a Gendarme checking permits and inflicting the €135 fine on a driver who was on his way from Fontenay-aux-Roses to somewhere that the Gendarme said was "too far away".

Likewise, "brief" hasn't been defined.

The term used for "pet" in "animal de compagnie"... the term would not usually be used for ridden horse, and I doubt that the average police officer would accept the term for anything that didn't live inside the house or flat of its owner.

Another complication is that all businesses that "receive members of the public" except for those listed in the Decree of 15 March 2020 are closed.

The place where I ride is closed, but the two yards across the street from me are not. This is another grey area to me. I haven't trained in French law, though I like to try to keep up to date with legislation, but you might be able to argue that the two yards across the street are not technically "open to receive members of the public", that the people who keep their horses there are clients of the yard, or members of a private club, are not in an enclosed space and are not participating in a group activity.

But a rider could fall foul of the unwritten distance rule; quite a few people keep horses here in Maisons-Laffitte and live over 15km away.

But as I mentioned before, the police don't usually come up into out half of town unless they are called for, and I'm not sure they'd have any authority to impose these rules.

I'm not going to tempt fate by going out without my Reisegenehmigung, though.

Last edited:

Aoife 2020

Visit site
This is NOT true; in Spain each stables is making it's own decisions as to how much contact is allowed. Riding is not allowed, but all basic care is of course required. Animal welfare is not going to suffer; farming is essential.
I just read it on a Facebook they are probably just trying to scare people .

Fransurrey

Visit site
Very fortunate to be in a job that's reasonably well paid. We're also being asked to express interest in extra work for COVID-19 testing and I have the management and lab skills to do it. Horses shouldn't be affected much. They live out with shelter and have a token feed. I trim one of them and farrier trims the other (she's just easier with someone else holding her), so no change there. The extra work will mean I'm exempt from full lockdown, too. Every cloud and all that! For those now laid off, is it worth enquiring with local hospitals for healthcare assistant work? Even labs have unskilled technicians, so it could turn into a positive for you.