Correct position for bridle buckles

jenni999

Visit site
As per the title, should the buckles be above the eye, in line with it or below to avoid the most sensitive nerves?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Unless you are showing, all the buckles should be wherever they are that makes the bridle fit the horse.

Unless you buy made to measure and are lucky enough that it never stretches in use, trying to get all the buckles level will often result in a strangling or flapping throat lash and too high or low a noseband, depending on the shape of your horse's head.

catkin

Visit site
Unless you are showing, all the buckles should be wherever they are that makes the bridle fit the horse.

Unless you buy made to measure and are lucky enough that it never stretches in use, trying to get all the buckles level will often result in a strangling or flapping throat lash and too high or low a noseband, depending on the shape of your horse's head.

No - the buckles should be there because that's where they are most comfortable for the horse. If they are not then you need a new bridle or bridle parts.

meleeka

Visit site
buying *effectively* made to measure isn't that hard these days, many bridle manufacturers will sell a new bridle that is made up of different sized bits :)
That’s what I did. I bought from Jefferies and it was almost the same price as buying complete. There’s no way I’d be able to buy “off the peg’ with parts such as a XF browband, cob head and noseband and pony cheeks! Neither size would remotely fit whatever the buckles ended up.

ycbm

Visit site
No - the buckles should be there because that's where they are most comfortable for the horse. If they are not then you need a new bridle or bridle parts.

There are plenty of places where the buckles are comfortable for the horse. It isn't necessary to buy a new bridle or bridle parts just because your buckles aren't all at the same level.

Last edited:

catkin

Visit site
For many people there is a logic in having buckles as level as possible (and girths buckled on same holes each side - but that's a different discussion......).
When we are riding we are looking for symmetry, both in ourselves and in our horses, it's what we spend hours and hours training towards. If a bridle looks level it is an aid towards that goal whether consciously or unconsciously.

Palindrome

Visit site
For many people there is a logic in having buckles as level as possible (and girths buckled on same holes each side - but that's a different discussion......).
When we are riding we are looking for symmetry, both in ourselves and in our horses, it's what we spend hours and hours training towards. If a bridle looks level it is an aid towards that goal whether consciously or unconsciously.

You can't see the bridle when you are riding though? It is generally better to look up instead of looking at your horse's head.
I am in the it doesn't matter as long as horse is comfy and everything working camp.

ycbm

Visit site

I'm sorry, but I don't see any logic at all in comparing having a girth level on each side and having all the buckles on one side of the face at the same height. One is a matter of keeping the physical forces equal and the other, provided the horse is comfortable, pure aesthetics. It does look nice, though.