Cost to transport horse from Scotland to Devon?

AMW

Visit site
Get in touch with Eric Gillies transporters. we sold a sect A recently who went pretty far down the country, it was (I think) £400 & Vat. They pick up from Scotland on a Friday usually, stable the weekend at their yard in Kelso and send on their way on the Monday, staying over one night or 2 on the way down, all included in the price.
They are very experienced transporters who have fantastic lorries.

Cuppatea

www.facebook.com
agree, go with gillies. Weve had a few come down from just south of edinburgh with one overnight stop and we've met them nr tewkesbury to avoid another overnight stop to get to us. Think it cost them about £500 per horse..they have all been rather large and mostly unhandled so maybe the price reflected it

Last edited:

rhino

Visit site
^^Agree with this, Gillies are fantastic!

Mine did from the south of Dorset to Dundee about 2 years ago, think it was £350 + vat and he was stabled for 2 nights to split the journey. They have also travelled him on a couple of slightly shorter journeys (Glasgow - Bedfordshire and more recently Dundee to the Borders); he is a bit of a sensitive boy but has always travelled well :)

Visit site
I will always vote for Gillies. Fab transporters, my only slight gripe about them is they don't give the horses haynets to travel. They offer water every 1.5-2hours. Their lorries are fab, experienced drivers and handlers - even for difficult loaders.

blakesmum

Visit site
Gordon Hamilton is great. As are P & L Luck, both have moved my horse from Cornwall to NE Scotland (and back) Gordon even left my horse at an overnight stabling stop at Bristol happily resting and eating and drove into Wales to pick up another horse then back to Bristol to get Blake, rather than making him stand on the lorry for the hour or so it took.

I wouldn't touch Gillies with a bargepole personally (but that's just my experience with them and won't go into detail here).

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
The only downside with big transporters like Gillies is horse is likely to be one of a shared load of random horses so can end up doing quite a few extra miles on the way. However they do have great boxes and good lairage facilities and are hugely experienced.

I reckon work on £1 per mile for a small box sole load, and maybe 2/3 of that for a shared load.

My two came up as a sole load with a prof transporter 550 miles from home counties to Aberdeenshire. I did this as it was such a long journey I didnt want them doing any extra for other drop offs! Also big chap had been ill so I worried about germs and bugs with other horses.

They had hay but hardly touched it tbh, but came off remarkably well if a little wobbly legged for a few paces! They were supposed to overnight in the Borders but there was freak weather heading towards them so it was decided to push on (transporter had the extra certification for this). So they did it all with just regular stops for water and leg stretch.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Gillies again!

I think about £300 to transport a Highland pony from just north of Inverness to Essex. They do have regular stop overs.

They have at least two lorries. One is HUGE and we had to load/unload on the road as my entrance was too narrow but the second, smaller but still large, managed the entrance without problems.

foraday

Visit site
look on www.findhorsetransport.org

Eric Gillie would be the only shared load transporter I would say to look into! One mentioned on here IS NOT LEGAL!!!!! Barge pole comes to mind considering said 'illegal' overturned their lorry killing all 4 horses on board a couple of years ago!

Good luck with your transport

cshw

New User
Visit site
Another Gillies vote here! I have used them about half a dozen times. I have total confidence that they would cope with any emergency, their lorries are spotless and luxurious and their drivers all handle horses very well. I've travelled yearlings and stressy old arthritic horses with them, and all loaded and travelled so well. As always, there's a small disease risk travelling horses from different places in the same load, but unless you can afford exclusive hire of a lorry, I would use Gillies. Good luck with your journey!

Steeleydan

Visit site
Ive used Ghillies, I bought a horse from Dumfrishire and to get it delivered to my door was about £300 that was with Vat.(We are in North Notts.) That was last year so might be more now. I have sold a couple of horses to Fife and they use Ghillies to pick up.
I have also used Ken Gamble in Cheltenham and Alan Walter from Taunton, would highly recommend them all.

blakesmum

Visit site
look on www.findhorsetransport.org

Eric Gillie would be the only shared load transporter I would say to look into! One mentioned on here IS NOT LEGAL!!!!! Barge pole comes to mind considering said 'illegal' overturned their lorry killing all 4 horses on board a couple of years ago!

Good luck with your transport

Both the ones I've mentioned (the Luck's and Gordon) are FULLY LEGAL!!!! Just because they don't appear on that website doesn't mean they are not legal!

As I said I wouldn't use anyone other than the Luck's and Gordon! The Luck's took two stressy mares from the yard I'm at to Spain a few years ago and the owners out in Spain were hugely impressed with the condition the mares arrived in.

scarymare

Visit site
I will always vote for Gillies. Fab transporters, my only slight gripe about them is they don't give the horses haynets to travel. They offer water every 1.5-2hours. Their lorries are fab, experienced drivers and handlers - even for difficult loaders.

Yes its a shame about the hay thing. I always use them but tend to be first pick up at 7am and have had a horse delivered to Edinburgh at 4pm - too long with nothing in their guts.

TPO

Visit site
Another Gillies vote. Used them to bring 2 mares up from down south and when I sold a horse to the south of england they used Gillies on my recommendation. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Boothroydens brought C from Stirling to S Wales. £325. 12 hour journey with stops. Horse was very happy and still loads like a little pro :)

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
I have to say, I wasn't too impressed with Gillies service. They transported my pony from Scotland earlier this yr and he had to stay over for one night on the way down. They rang me the next day in a complete fluster telling me my pony had been aggressive to handle in the stable and they were really quite rude. He has never shown one ounce of aggression in his life, but they sounded very amateur and had clearly done something to wind him up. They may have nice lorries but I'm not entirely sure their horse handling skills are up to much. I wouldn't use them again unless it was for a direct trip.