Cotton Wool Horses!

Capriole

Visit site
I dont think 1 acre is nearly enough per horse, personally.

And it also depends on your soil type. Heavy clay soil you will struggle with, with 1 acre per horse.

Ruto

Visit site
You have a very simplistic view on keeping horses, if the field is muddy get a new one, if only it was so easy, horses are frequently kept in areas where grazing is hard to find not everyone has the luxury of a field behind their house.
Many are happy living in, they are fed well, kept exercised and active, they are not suffering from mud fever or rain rash.
I have some out 24/7 several would probably opt for a stable when the weather is bad, others are in at night, clipped in work and are far from depressed they are all bright, full of energy and enjoy their work, even my 33 year old who would get depressed if left out when he wants to come in to bed.

If you read what I said I didn't say they 100% will all definitely get depressed by being stabled. More or less the majority of horses in my area that are kept in most of the time are underweight and if not underweight, bad tempered. I don't see why people are trying to 'flaunt' the fact they have horses who're kept in and are happy and healthy as if I'm attacking them personally lol. :')

rockysmum

Visit site
Really, thats great for you && your horses. I'm not saying there is anything wrong for over-caring for your horses, I'd rather they be over-cared for than under-cared. I just don't see why you get snipey, up their own a-hole horse owners who think it's wrong for a horse to be kept in their natural environment. You should have one acre per horse- Minimum, and if you have this then you should have no problems with your horse being turned out 24/7. :)

That depends on the land. 1 acre per horse is the bare minimum, OK if they are stabled at night in winter perhaps. Some very poorly drained soils you would need much more than this and horses would still be standing in mud. As I said before there is nothing natural about confining horses into fields, they dont have the freedom to find shelter, food or escape flies and other pests in summer.

I would never leave my 3 out on only 3 acres, it would be very poor management on my part.

DosyMare

Visit site
Funny thing is my 9 month old colt has been in at night for the last 3 months.....

Moment the summer grass was gone he just stood by the gate. I use to bring him in for stud cubes and could never get him but down the field. I ended up feeding him in the field (even with ad-lib hay out there) he wanted to come in.
When the mud and rain came in October he refused to walk anywhere that was wet or muddy.
We had worming end of October and the fields were closed for 24/7 til April.
I often get calls to say Neddy wouldn't come out his stable this morning!

Yesterday we had a situation down the stables when someone forget to do there horse..... I was happy to muck out and do the duties. She had had a poorly child and just forgot. My non horsey bf said but how can you just forget?!

Ruto

Visit site
That depends on the land. 1 acre per horse is the bare minimum, OK if they are stabled at night in winter perhaps. Some very poorly drained soils you would need much more than this and horses would still be standing in mud. As I said before there is nothing natural about confining horses into fields, they dont have the freedom to find shelter, food or escape flies and other pests in summer.

I would never leave my 3 out on only 3 acres, it would be very poor management on my part.

I know it depends on the land, but as an owner you should be able to pass judgement on the field you choose fit for your horses. There's nothing natural about confining a horse to a box to stand mindlessly in though, is there? Most fields have trees or high hedges for shelter- my field does anyway.

be positive

Visit site
If they are in most of the time and not getting turned out or worked properly they are bound to be bad tempered or depressed, I am surprised they are thin though as most idle horses just get too fat so they must be underfed too, not a good life for a horse.

rockysmum

Visit site
There's nothing natural about confining a horse to a box to stand mindlessly in though, is there? .

I think there are some serious care issues with the horses you see stabled. Underweight horses which stand mindlessly in stables sound like a call to the RSPCA is in order.

My horses spend their time in the stables watching all the goings on in the farm yard and what the other owners and horses are doing. They dont seem bored or mindless at all. The only time they look like that is when they are standing under the wall begging someone to let them back in.

Ruto

Visit site
Ah but dont you "keep them as nature intended" people think that good quality highly fertilised land is bad for horses.

Good quality, rich soil doesn't need to be fertilised. You get natural, rich good soil that grows lots of good grass. My two previous yards had very good grazing all year round turnout where as another yard I was at just had really bad soil where there was more or less no grass.

Ruto

Visit site
I think there are some serious care issues with the horses you see stabled. Underweight horses which stand mindlessly in stables sound like a call to the RSPCA is in order.

My horses spend their time in the stables watching all the goings on in the farm yard and what the other owners and horses are doing. They dont seem bored or mindless at all. The only time they look like that is when they are standing under the wall begging someone to let them back in.

So, you're telling me if you were confined to one room for the majority of the day everyday of your life, it wouldn't bore the hell out of you? Especially if you were an animal who's natural habitat was that of the outdoors? :)

Ladydragon

Visit site
Yesterday we had a situation down the stables when someone forget to do there horse..... I was happy to muck out and do the duties. She had had a poorly child and just forgot. My non horsey bf said but how can you just forget?!

In all fairness... A sickly youngster can tie you to the house and if it's something more serious just about everything else will go out the window...

No they just eat it! And they are brought in during the night! To keep a horse out 27/7 they need plenty of grazing, e.g more than one acre

Looks like you need to somehow magic up a far more suitable field so your horses will revert to being happier out 24/7... :D

My whole area would be livestock free if that were the case...

Was about to go to bed but wondering if it's worth grabbing popcorn...

:D

rockysmum

Visit site
My TB is exactly the same... I have to get behind her bum and push! :D And that doesn't work all the time!!

LOL, my Warmblood and 35 year old cob are fine. But our little show cob hates leaving her stable if its wet. She doesn't like getting her feet wet, never mind muddy. Its really amusing watching her tip toeing around even the smallest mud patch in case her hooves get dirty :D :D

Starbucks

Visit site
Well my horse has a life, he works for a living (hunter), he chills out in his paddock with his friend a few hours a day and comes in to a toasty stable at night. He has as many rugs to keep him warm and as much feed he needs - because he's fit and actually does something.

He's not in cotton wool, he's just a worker and needs looking after. :)

be positive

Visit site
My land always grows lots of grass, never dare to fertilise it but its a nightmare for keeping ponies from getting laminitis and is clay so very wet and gets muddy in the winter.

rockysmum

Visit site
So, you're telling me if you were confined to one room for the majority of the day everyday of your life, it wouldn't bore the hell out of you? Especially if you were an animal who's natural habitat was that of the outdoors? :)

Hell no, I wouldn't mind at all, TV and cable and computer with HHO, central heating, bring it on :D :D

Dont think the horses would mind either, at least two of them would love to move into my lounge like the lady in Scotland has done with her horse :D :D

And I never said they didn't get the chance to go out during the day, just that they dont usually want to :D

Ladydragon

Visit site
LOL, my Warmblood and 35 year old cob are fine. But our little show cob hates leaving her stable if its wet. She doesn't like getting her feet wet, never mind muddy. Its really amusing watching her tip toeing around even the smallest mud patch in case her hooves get dirty :D :D

Fancy swapping her for a Sec B? Pretty little dapple grey in summer...

Currently resembles a murky orange and brown splodged teddy bear... :)

NoltonSeaShell

Visit site

Oh god!! Show nyms a piece of mud.... or even WATER!! and she cowers in the corner of her stable! ;)

Ruto

Visit site
Wow, I can't believe how many people are taking this personally. It's eh... astounding. Okay, this is not a personal attack to horse owners who stable/rug/feed their horses. It's more so about the owners who're killing their horses with kindness and don't know it! So please. Unless you have a dying, laminitic, colic prone, hypochondriatic horse then PLEASE, do not take this personally by then countering it by bashing people who keep their horses out all year round. Jesus. :')

rockysmum

Visit site
Wow, I can't believe how many people are taking this personally. It's eh... astounding. Okay, this is not a personal attack to horse owners who stable/rug/feed their horses. It's more so about the owners who're killing their horses with kindness and don't know it! So please. Unless you have a dying, laminitic, colic prone, hypochondriatic horse then PLEASE, do not take this personally by then countering it by bashing people who keep their horses out all year round. Jesus. :')

You think this is bashing :D :D

Stick around for a while, this is just us being mildly amused :D

Ruto

Visit site
So what you're saying is, people on these threads are prone to taking peoples opinion the wrong way then after doing so proceed to try and thrash the thread starter in a ploy to win an argument that is not even valid to the thread? Hmmm... :confused:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I dont understand all of this some horses at grass are badly managed some stabled are.
The land type will govern how pleasant and easy it to manage horse out 24/7.
In this area the soil type is clay and my fields are quite exposed 24 hour turnout would be difficult to manage I can't do anything about that also wet feet 24 hours aday is very bad for them.
My horses get turnout most days and are worked six days a week they never stand in on a rest day they all like their stables and are keen to come in when they see you coming .
In sumner they come in during the day and go out at night they love to come in during the day away from the flys.
Horses who are kept stabled are used to it although I hate to think of them never getting turnout they cope as long as they are getting proper work.
I have to say round here you rarely see an underweight horse the opposite seems to be the norm.