Cotton Wool Horses!

Ladydragon

Visit site
Lucked out buying my own yard!! Where I've kept my horses for the past 10 years.... ;) Bloody soil!

Ha ha... :)

Some of the cows down here are coming in at night... The ones who are getting a bit bullied over the food in the field and started losing condition... Amazingly their barns aren't "crap filled" either...

So horribly unnatural though... *sigh* ;)

So please. Unless you have a dying, laminitic, colic prone, hypochondriatic horse then PLEASE, do not take this personally by then countering it by bashing people who keep their horses out all year round. Jesus. :')

We haven't got those... And after buying 2T of wood pellets today I can safely say it would be a hell of a lot less expensive if they were out 24/7...

In this area, with the current weather and its effects on the land, it's healthier for them to be in at night - if someone else can manage a full 24/7 turnout then good for them IMO...

Even the sheep were in last year... At least they've been able to stay out...

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I also dont agree with clipping horses who are expected to live out 24/7, so I would have to agree its not easy to ride. You spend ages cleaning them up, if you can get the mud dry enough to brush off, and then the horse sweats up with any real work because its not clipped.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

Surely the same as its all about the individual horse with regards to feeding, rugging, stabling and living out, this is equally dependent on the horse?

My horse is out 24/7 and this year due to numerous reasons, my horse wasn't clipped. She isn't rugged and yet I never have to spend more than 10 minutes and often less, getting her ready and off we go. Again, she's fit and doesn't sweat up too badly either.

I'd say its far better to clip my horse than to leave her. Last year - a harsh winter - she was trace clipped and not rugged. She was toastier than the rugged horses and the most comfortable she's been in winter. No itching from her! However, if she was cold, I had bought in a rug so she could be rugged, and there was maybe 2 nights where with constant wind and rain she did need it, 99% of the winter was rug free and her field has no shelter.

There are many horses this won't suit but likewise, being stabled for more than a couple of hours makes my girl extremely miserable.

Ruto

Visit site
It is indeed! It's just the majority of people I've came across are the most b*tchiest, back stabbing, bullies you could ever imagine. I don't suppose it's any different anywhere else. :)
You've always got someone who's trying to one up you and such. Or someone who thinks they know better and their opinion is Law. Haha :)

rockysmum

Visit site
It is indeed! It's just the majority of people I've came across are the most b*tchiest, back stabbing, bullies you could ever imagine. I don't suppose it's any different anywhere else. :)
You've always got someone who's trying to one up you and such. Or someone who thinks they know better and their opinion is Law. Haha :)

Absolutely :D :D

Ruto

Visit site
Not immoral for not agreeing with someone, I didn't say that at all. Immoral for forcing an irrelevant argument down someones throat.

Ruto

Visit site
Nice to know there's people on horse forums that sit up at one in the morning trying to bully people then try to justify it by their hipster term, 'trolling'. Hahahahaha. :D

Last edited:

DosyMare

Visit site
Nice to know there's people on horse forums that sit up at one in the morning trying to bully people.

Apologies if you feel you've received a bashing. I guess this just shows how strong people feel about there horses.
You can only voice YO, listen to others - you did open a debate. I'm sure it's not personal.

Ruto

Visit site
I don't mind listening to other peoples opinions, I know I opened a debate but why does that mean people have to try and be nasty about it? You don't have to be nasty to swap opinions. Apparently Rocky's Mother does. :D

littlescallywag

Visit site
I've been on a yard that had 100plus acres with 24/7 turnout and field liveries. the fields were rotated every couple of months or so.
But that yard had the highest rate of cotton wool horses ever!
Horses that were not allowed out in the fields yet when ridden were so hot the owners couldn't control them so they got beaten :(
Same horses that were put to bed after not being out at all with a huge conditioning feed and haylage , with 4 or 5 rugs ranging from med to heavy weight on its back !!!!!
Grrrrr :(

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Okay, this is an open discussion/debate on how you get equine owners who wrap their companion(s) in cotton wool because their human mind set.
'Oh! I must keep my horse/pony cooped up in a small confined space ALL day because its raining/too windy/snowing/muddy!' -This is an example. Others are stuff like unnecessary rugging, giving them too big a feed (I know a couple people who've gave their horses severe laminitis doing this) etc... You also get the people who like horses but don't have one or have never owned one who think it's terrible to keep your horse in a field 24/7- wtf!? It's stuff like this that REALLY grinds my gears. Horses are NOT made of glass, they won't die over being put out to graze in the rain. They won't have a nervous break down if you don't go up and see them EVERY day and they won't care if they're not stabled at night. It's good to care about your pets but treating them the way you would treat a human can cause problems in most cases.

Well I think you are totally irresponsible if you don't go to see them every day, if they are not on full or part livery. What if one breaks its leg in the field? What if the ice needs breaking on the water trough? Sounds like you are looking for excuses to neglect your horses to me. Yes, some people are far too precious with their horses, but at the end of the day, they are THEIR horses not yours, and so long as it doesn't amount to cruelty (which actually not checking them at least once a day COULD do), then it is up to them.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
The thing is, horses don't feel the cold as bad as we do, so they don't mind the weather. The don't like the mud but they're horses and I'm sure mud is the least of their concern- just think about cows and sheep etc, why are the an exclusion from all the rugging, grooming and shelter? Because it's not cruel to keep livestock-like animals in such a way. :)
Fair enough, myself or you wouldn't like being out in the blistering cold, muddy field but thats because we are HUMAN and we have a different way of living. A VERY different way,

I do agree with you on that. :)

I think you will find that cows are usually all brought in during the winter, except for the hardy breeds like Highland.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
If we are discussing keeping horses naturally, then confining them in a few acres of mud is as far from natural as keeping them in a stable If they were wild they would move around, find food and shelter and probably keep well away from standing around in mud. The poor creatures you see standing for hours with mud half way up their legs might just as well be standing warm and dry in a stable. They are not getting much exercise or grass.

I also assume mud fever, cracked heels and other such complaints dont occur where you live, if they did I think you would find mud is of great concern to horses.

Unless the farmers around you are very different to where I live, cows dont ever live out in winter. Sheep do, but they have the freedom of large areas of land with little mud and plenty of shelter.

Completely agree.

touchstone

Visit site
I have an open stable in my field for the horse to use freely, I also graze some sheep and you can guarantee in bad weather it is full of sheep!

I do think there are some horses who prefer to be in, and I also think it is good practice to get a horse used to being in for periods of time, nothing worse than having to treat a sick horse that is stable phobic.

As long as horses are happy healthy and content with whatever routine they have then I can't see a problem, I agree with Wagtail though, I'd never not check on a horse at least once a day and usually twice a day.

Sarah1

Visit site
Okay, this is an open discussion/debate on how you get equine owners who wrap their companion(s) in cotton wool because their human mind set.
'Oh! I must keep my horse/pony cooped up in a small confined space ALL day because its raining/too windy/snowing/muddy!' -This is an example. Others are stuff like unnecessary rugging, giving them too big a feed (I know a couple people who've gave their horses severe laminitis doing this) etc... You also get the people who like horses but don't have one or have never owned one who think it's terrible to keep your horse in a field 24/7- wtf!? It's stuff like this that REALLY grinds my gears. Horses are NOT made of glass, they won't die over being put out to graze in the rain. They won't have a nervous break down if you don't go up and see them EVERY day and they won't care if they're not stabled at night. It's good to care about your pets but treating them the way you would treat a human can cause problems in most cases.

ETS - I haven't read all of the replies & didn't read this one properly to begin with! :eek: I agree some owners are just a bit silly with wrapping their horses in cotton wool & treating them like humans (or babies) rather than horses but I would never not check on my horse at least once a day. He can get into mischief at the drop of a hat and he's very good at pushing fencing down & doing a runner!
He's a big strapping lad who's young (ish), fit & healthy - I don't think he needs rugging to the eyeballs and molly-coddling etc but at the very least going to the field and checking them over for cuts etc at least once a day is basic care as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Onyxia

Visit site
I know it depends on the land, but as an owner you should be able to pass judgement on the field you choose fit for your horses. There's nothing natural about confining a horse to a box to stand mindlessly in though, is there? Most fields have trees or high hedges for shelter- my field does anyway.

There is nothing natural about managed herds being kept on a few acres :crazy:

To put it simply, there are very few times where we will know why an owner decideds to keep their horse a certain way.
Provided the horse is healthy(in mind and body) then those choices are begger all to do with anyone else.

My personal preferance is to do as little as possable with horses management/equpiment wise- I simply don't want to be up the yard cleaning tack that is not needed at midnight when there is a world out ther to be enjoyed ;) However, you treat each horse as himself and do what you feel is right for each one at that point in time.
It would be wrong to force a horse out all year simply to feel you are being a good owner, letting him stay in a "natural" enviroment just as it is wrong to keep them in when good turnout is avalable.

Capriole

Visit site
It would be wrong to force a horse out all year simply to feel you are being a good owner, letting him stay in a "natural" enviroment just as it is wrong to keep them in when good turnout is avalable.

I agreed with most of that, apart from this bit.

Mine live out, it suits me, it suits the horses. They are very happy in a small herd with a huge field with varied terrain and lots of shelter. Nothing wrong about it. None of them are pining about to come in, so Im not 'forcing them' to live out so I can feel like a good owner.

brigantia

Visit site
Horses shouldn't be kept in fields so muddy it causes them mud fever and such. If you have unsuitable field for your horse perhaps you should consider finding a better field?

OP, even a good, well drained field will get muddy in a British winter. This is the climate we live in. ANY horse exposed to mud can get mud rash.

My horse gets daily turnout, but I need to brush off her legs thoroughly and cover them in barrier cream twice a week so she can enjoy her turnout without getting mud fever. In some respects winter turnout can be very high maintenance for responsible owners!

I need to cover her in cotton wool to protect her from the mud! :D

Naryafluffy

Visit site
The don't like the mud but they're horses and I'm sure mud is the least of their concern=QUOTE]

Would have to disagree on this point, we have a horse on the current yard who just doesn't do mud at all, there are some mornings where it's an arguement to get him in the field because of the mud at the gate, coming in (assuming you manage to get him in the field in the first place) he will make sure he walks on the least muddy part of the track (if you happen to be in the way tuff luck where mud is concerned), his rugs still look like new after the winter has finished as he doesn't roll. If you looked at this horse you wouldn't think he would mind as he's a huge 17.3hh Oldenberg that's built like a brick out-house, but he will mince his way through the mud to avoid getting dirty.
My mare has restricted grazing in winter as she has cushings and frost/snow etc will trigger the lamintus so by time the frost has disappeared and the sun goes away she's not out very long.

ellie_e

Visit site
My TB will get depressed if she's out constantly, put her out and she just stands by the gate waiting to come back in, she still goes out everyday unless its extremely windy, we have some pretty old trees surrounding our field and one could easily come down. The one thing that annoys me is the crazy feeds some people feed their horses, and then wonder why their horse is going crazy and unrideable!

Ok not read all the posts but I really think feed/rug's/turnout are very different and personal to the individual horse. I have a KWPN who has been rugged all year even in summer, gets feed 2-3times aday and enjoys being in his large stable (does get turned out everyday for atleast 6hrs though) However the older ISH doesnt need as many rugs or as much feed and hates being stabled! He does come in at night in the winter but lives out 24/7 in summer. I dont think you can say people are awful for going up everyday to see their horse, tbh if you didnt go and check the animal I would say you are a careless owner!! Somebody needs to check that they are alive, well, no bits hanging off etc. Feed is different, lots of people give huge amounts of hard feed then wonder why their horse is ill/ulcers/loopy etc. A little knowledge is sometimes scary!!

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
Ruto, it wasn't a personal attack on you and I apologise if it came across that way.

It's just that some people whot turn out 24/7 seem to think we're cruel if we keep in for a day when its downpouring/galeforce winds and I feel that that is my choice. I am very particular about my horses and they never go without adequate feed bedding exercise etc. They are clipped out in full work and rugged up according to the weather. They are happy and not bored. They do enjoy going out and 99.9% of the time they go out, therefore the odd day in isn't going to kill them as some seem to think!

I don't disagree with horses living out 24/7 either, horses for courses. Whatever suits the horse and within reason the owner.
There's a girl on my yard who has suddenly decided to not turn out so she doesnt have to spend time scraping mud off!!! Which is something I definately don't agree with. But other than that they are pretty well cared for.

Unless horses are seriously under/overweight and sick, abused, neglected, wounded, I don't think we should complain if they are looked after, even if it is not what we see as the best way to manage them.

benson21

Visit site
I think its got to be an individual thing. If you have your horses in a fiels thats well draining, sheltered, not muddy, plenty of grass etc etc, and you have a horse that is happy in the field, doesnt stress, and you are lucky enough to be able to have 24 hr turnout, then great.
But, if you have a horse that doesnt like being in the field on his own, stands miserably in the rain, not alot of shelter,field non draining, muddy, lack of grass, then bring them in.
I dont see that as treating your horse with cotton wool, just caring.