could i sell this horse without being sued

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I don't quite see why you would save a horse from an unsuitable home only to risk sending him to another one. If he is that challenging to handle then two homes down the line from you he could be in the same predicament you saved him from.

Exactly Booboos.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Please don't tell me about long haul sorry but its been three years. When he came to me he was skin and bone beaten to a pulp and have given up. He was dead in the eyes. I never thought once up to correct weight and nicer life he would still have his moments three years on I thought with trust food routine and respect he would stop and 80 percent of the time hes good its the rest of the time. Even I don't allways see it coming and get it wrong. Hes not up for sale because of how he is but just wanted to sound out what people thought that's all and he has some much to give he is a nice horse 80 percent of the time. And it would break my heart to let him go but he needs more than me.

For Christ sake op stop copping out. As for long hall - how is three years long hall? Long hall is seeing it through to the end, whenever that might be - not selling it on.

If you don't want him - shoot him.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Sadly a horse you describe would only be heading to one place if sold on. He may get lucky and get a decent owner but why risk it?

Can you not get a friend to compete him if you think he needs it? Honestly I've met and owned plenty of horses that enjoy competing and Louie even loads himself on the trailer. But they would be just as happy out in the field with their mates and some good food.

I would have a long hard think over selling him and if you decide its the right thing then id consider pts, as a life of uncertainty is far better than a peaceful end.

montanna

Visit site
The question I would ask myself is "could I live with myself if this horse ended up hurting/killing someone?".

Sorry but I would be thinking about the safety of the handlers not the horse at this point.

I won't handle a horse that I believe to be dangerous as I am far too valuable!

Embo

Visit site
Agree with the others, I wouldn't risk selling.

Long term loan is an option, at your current yard so as not to risk unsettling him. After 6 months, consider a move. After another year, maybe consider selling if all parties willing. Less risky than selling outright, but if he's as dangerous as you say, I doubt it would work.

I wouldn't let him go.

Polos Mum

Visit site
OP I promise he absolutely does not need any more than you, a field, some friends the odd foot trim - if you don't want to ride him I promise he won't mind that either!
Horses have no idea about potential, talent, ability, those that have competed for a decade might enjoy it and might look at the lorry lovingly, but they are as happy out poping round a 2'3 once as they were doing 3* eventing.

If you can't or don't want to keep him (and there is no shame in deciding you don't want him - you don't need to justify your reasons) please nicely and quietly PTS. Difficult horses very rarely land on their feet so do it for his sake. Once sold you have no control over who and when and how often he is sold on again.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Having a horse who gets grumpy when he's not working (and is currently on six weeks' box rest), I can understand that you think he wants to do more than you are able to cope with.
If that is your only reason for considering selling, I agree with an earlier poster that it might be good to find someone to compete him for you, for your own peace of mind even if he doesn't understand his own potential.
Horses don't need to work but that way you could keep him and not worry that he is being "wasted" and get some enjoyment through keeping him fit by hacking and seeing someone else have the fun of competing him.

stormox

Visit site
Its silly to think a horse 'is wasted' or 'needs competing'. how many of us owners cudv been top sportsmen, or some sort of 'ologist' given the chance ? Would we have been happier if we were? Probably not.
A horse certainly doesn't mind not being competed at Elementary just because he would be capable - sounds like he's being competed at prelim, he wouldn't know he wasn't doing grand prix!!
The bottom line is- 'Do you WANT to sell the horse?' and if you do, just be totally honest about him. There are many others out there that are difficult to handle, and remember one persons unsurmountable problem is another persons challenge.

puss

Visit site
This thread was started because I had a really good dressage rider ride him. I wanted to see how he would go with better rider. My god horse was amazing and rider thought so too she said he could go to the top with right rider. (That's not me) she said he has amazing talent then she asked me what I did with him holding my head in shame I said local shows mostly hacking. she just turned round and said hes wasted. I have never really thought of selling him because imo hes dangerous he has put me in hospital four times. When I explained this to her that's why he stays with me. She said competition people will put up with his dangerous behaviour for his talent most competition horses are quirky And she has far worse at home. It just got me thinking she is right. Again will add this horse is not for sale just wanted people opinions on this

JadeyB

Visit site
it's a tricky situation... i was in a similar one myself a few years back and i did sell but was totally honest about my mare and didn't ask for much money (she was a madam to ride, used to rear and occasionally through herself on the floor and although she was good to handle she was always testing what she could get away with).

The trouble is there is always the risk of the horse getting passed around and seriously hurting someone... Did the Dressage rider off to take your horse on or help you find someone who might? Good luck, i hope something works out for you.

puss

Visit site
That was when I first got him nothing to bad broken nose fractured shoulder and some deep cuts. not done this for long while.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
That was when I first got him nothing to bad broken nose fractured shoulder and some deep cuts. not done this for long while.

:eek::eek:

Yep, gotta agree - why is it still breathing.

I also note from a previous post you made back in July that you say you have 10 other horses. And that this one was bought from the meat man.

You also wrote this about him - not just dangerous, but lethal

Downside hes lethal to handle oh well cant win them all

No. 1 if you have 10 other horses, why are you rising your safety by having this horse on your yard.

And

No. 2 You bought it off the meat man - that should tell you most of what you need to know.

Last edited:

guido16

Visit site

What exactly would you class as "bad"

Sorry, but if a horse broke my nose, fractured my shoulder and gave me deep cuts (over four different occasions), unless it was due to my total incompetence, I would have asked my OH to load his 243

showpony

Visit site
There is a massive difference between Quirky & Dangerous! OP keep the horse or PTS. . I wouldn't be able to live with myself If I sold a horse like yours that eventually ended up really hurting someone & there is no guarentee things would work out in a diff home so could end up being passes from pillar to post with the issues getting steadily worse.

This thread was started because I had a really good dressage rider ride him. I wanted to see how he would go with better rider. My god horse was amazing and rider thought so too she said he could go to the top with right rider. (That's not me) she said he has amazing talent then she asked me what I did with him holding my head in shame I said local shows mostly hacking. she just turned round and said hes wasted. I have never really thought of selling him because imo hes dangerous he has put me in hospital four times. When I explained this to her that's why he stays with me. She said competition people will put up with his dangerous behaviour for his talent most competition horses are quirky And she has far worse at home. It just got me thinking she is right. Again will add this horse is not for sale just wanted people opinions on this

Camel

Visit site
I think what your skirting around is that you want to sell him (for whatever reason), know it's probably not the 'right' thing to do by him and are looking for someone to justify it for you. If he's as dangerous as he sounds you do have 'justification' (from the replies on here) to PTS.

Advertise him honestly on www.projecthorse.co.uk, or if he is as hugely talented as you think, offer him FOC to Carl Hester!! :p

xx

Kelly1982

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies but I'm gonna go against the grain and agree with your instructor. A top level competition home would put up with his behaviour if he had a huge amount of talent BUT he has no completion record to prove this so IMO I doubt you would find that kind of home for him until he is proven.

I guarantee someone would buy him if the price was right and you was completely honest but when they realise he can't be 'cured' I fear he would not have a very bright future ahead of him :(

Foxhunter49

Visit site
What is dangerous to some is quirky to another.

Be honest and sell the horse, make sure that the person you sell him to is more experienced than you are.

Any horse can be corrected with firm, fair handling.

You say he barges out of the stable. Have you tried fixing a strong chain across the door and allowing him to charge into that? They soon learn to stand back.

If you are not enjoying him then sell. He certainly doesn't sound terribly bad.

Puppy

Visit site
Hi hes only eight he has improved but hes never gonna be safe imo

Hi clicker training would not work for this horse. As once hes in his own world of panic there no reaching the brain it like nothing or nobody is around him he just lashes out with front end never back no food reasoning will bring him back to your world until hes ready. It really is lights are on nobody there.

I don't see how anyone, in good conscience, could pass on a horse as dangerous as you describe.

JadeyB

Visit site
Dangerous and difficult can be very different things. Some horse people will put up with difficult for talented.

Maybe put an honest ad on the project horse website and see what kind of a response you get?

Inthemud

Visit site
Unless this is a wind up, the OP clearly wants to sell the horse as they've made no response to people's suggestions that the horse is quite happy as he is.

IMHO OP has 2 options. If she truely believes the horse old have a "better" life on the competition circuit, sell him for £1 to a pro. There is of course the chance that he would be sold on.....

If OP wants total security for the horse, then either keep him for life or PTS quietly at home.

ThoroughbredStar

Visit site
I'm sorry but some of these posts are just ridiculous and "fluffy"

If you want to sell him, sell him. If he is as talented as you say a serious/professional could buy him to compete. Lets face it some of the top horses that walked this planet were real bleeps but under saddle were s*** hot!!! If you can find the right home, why on earth wouldn't you sell!?!?!?

People get way to wrapped up in the "see it to the end" which they see as until the horse passes away. The end could be for a million reasons and people shouldn't be so damn judgemental when they don't actually know/understand the full circumstances. Sorry but some people on here really irritate the hell out of me.

You've done a grand job so far maybe someone else can take it further and make him a star!

Good luck whatever you do!!