Covid redundancy

Micky

Visit site
We’re still waiting here to see when restaurants can open back up, hospitality has been hit hard too but with no other jobs around it’s hard to find something else, no furlough for our little cafe/tea room,

Green Bean

Visit site
It is really a horrible time we are living in at the moment. I don't think one single person is not affected in someway, but I think the cruelest is redundancy. I get really annoyed that companies just let people go without thought for the time and effort put into resourcing and training them in the first place. I strongly feel that any person let go at this time should be given first refusal when the company they worked for are hiring again.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Sorry to hear about you & so many others who have lost their jobs. At the moment I think it's the tip of the iceberg. When various companies, retail outlets, factories eventually open up I think that many who at the moment are on furlough will actually not be going back. Lord knows when hotels, bars, restaurants & entertainment venues will be able to open up. I think with the places I've just mentioned, many with social distancing issues, won't think it's financially worth opening as the number of customers/clients they need to be viable they would not be able to admit. A vaccination needs to be found a.s.a.p. otherwise the world will go into a depression to rival the 30's.

I'd like to be more positive but for the moment the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

maya2008

Visit site
My husband is currently home on furlough - some of his colleagues are looking at other jobs in different parts of their industry that are still operating. Wait for the ‘maybe’ or take something that you are sure of...?

In the meantime I am working 80 hour weeks to make up the shortfall, as a large part of his wage was a ‘bonus’ so not included in the furlough calculations. Makes lockdown go quickly when you basically just work and sleep!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Not a redundancy situation, but I heard from my mobile hairdresser today. She’s self employed, and has not been working, but is expecting to get the go ahead to restart soon. I broached the idea of instead of my usual wet cut and blow dry, of having just the wet cut and of having it outdoors.

She said that lots of her clients have asked the same! Blow drying is apparently going to be banned anyway, which makes sense, but wet cuts and colouring hair will be ok.

She reckons that many salons will close and many more hairdressers will go mobile.

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
Thank you hope you find something ?

I'm very flexible tbf - Norland trained Nursery Nurse - graduated 1982 ? can work with ages 0 upwards in all childcare settings so hopefully something will come up when the crisis is over ?

In the UK they are currently advertising for adult social care workers. I would have thought your professional skills with children could transfer well to another care context. Someone who has the patience to work with kids and all the associated responsibility should be very employable hopefully.

The potential loss of jobs in catering, live music and sports, theatre, cinema etc is really concerning. What a bleak world with everyone huddled indoors hunched over laptops.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
In the UK they are currently advertising for adult social care workers. I would have thought your professional skills with children could transfer well to another care context. Someone who has the patience to work with kids and all the associated responsibility should be very employable hopefully.

The potential loss of jobs in catering, live music and sports, theatre, cinema etc is really concerning. What a bleak world with everyone huddled indoors hunched over laptops.

Unfortunately whilst I agree with you the jobs advertised in the Social Care Sector here require completely different qualifications ?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Just received the news I've been placed at risk of redundancy. Have a telephone consultation on Thursday. Weve just bought a new house and I have the horse

I've been considering leaving for a while but kept putting it off, also thought my role was safe. Fortunately probably luckier than most in that we have my partners salary but still a shock to officially be told