Crazy remedies ...

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Not horsey sorry but my nana used to put a bit of bread soaked in milk on splinters to draw them out!
She also made me rub steak on my verrucca and bury it in her garden (in a secret place I could tell no-one!)
😂😂 still had said verrucca and splinter I think

sky1000

Visit site
Not horsey sorry but my nana used to put a bit of bread soaked in milk on splinters to draw them out!
She also made me rub steak on my verrucca and bury it in her garden (in a secret place I could tell no-one!)
���� still had said verrucca and splinter I think

The steak on warts - as you say, buried in a secret place and telling no one - worked for me and I had a real crop on my hand!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Brewed tea for mucky eyes/conjunctivitis, use in on my horses, dogs and rabbits

Canastan cream, athletes foot powder /cream and nizorol shampoo for ring worm.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Brewed tea for mucky eyes/conjunctivitis, use in on my horses, dogs and rabbits

Canastan cream, athletes foot powder /cream and nizorol shampoo for ring worm.

Those are western medicine treatments for ringworm with excellent evidence base - so hardly crazy. As for vonjunctivitis cooled boiled water is the best supportive treatment for common conjunctivitis so cold tea is pretty similar really .

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Old Scottish Highland cures for epilepsy (in humans) include cutting a live chicken in half and placing it over the head of the patient; drinking the blood of a mole or a snake, preferably in a skull; drinking water out of a skull, preferably one that belonged to the patient's grandfather; treating powdered brains; or burying a chicken in the last place the patient had an epileptic fit.

All perfectly reasonably alternatives to the "burn them at the stake and/or drown them" approach, to be fair!

blitznbobs

Visit site
Magnets definitely do something. If I put on my magnetic rug before lunging he is nice and free and loose. If I don't, more often than not I have to work him through a mechanical lameness before we do any proper work.

Magnets have been studied extensively in double blind trials in humans and animals . There has never been any difference between them and placebo... I have no problem with placebo but it's not the magnets doing anything.

meleeka

Visit site
I do use cold tea for eyes (minus the milk!) and it does work.

Standing feet in cold water for laminitis. It's amazing, despite scientific proof to the contrary, how many times I see this recommended.

Turmeric - an excellent thing for arthritis, but it's not going to cure cancer (sarcoids) I don't think, anymore than toothpaste will.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Magnets have been studied extensively in double blind trials in humans and animals . There has never been any difference between them and placebo... I have no problem with placebo but it's not the magnets doing anything.

Well, I can say it creates warm spots on his back wherever the magnets are, so they certainly do something.

pansymouse

Visit site
Standing feet in cold water for laminitis. It's amazing, despite scientific proof to the contrary, how many times I see this recommended.

In the early 70s a vet had us treat our very laminitic pony by standing her in hot water several times a day then making her walk. It was a better treatment than the first vet we had out to her who wanted to shoot her. She survived for many years after so in that sense it worked.

taraj

Visit site
piles cream for capped hocks.........I did try this as my then 2 yr old had somehow managed to get a swollen hock and I was willing to try anything! It did go down and hasn't returned so not sure if the cream helped/the massaging it in twice a day or it went by itself!

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
About 12 years ago I had a tb yearling who tried her best to cut her leg off. A small time racehorse trainer who lived the next place over told me to get some fertiliser and pack the cut with it, bandage over the top and leave it until the bandage fell off. I must have looked sceptical because he said you should try it, it really works. I didn't needless to say. I would post the gory pics if I remembered how.

Illusion100

Visit site
Milky bars as treats (just like mares milk apparently) for bonding with weanlings.

Covering a swollen and infected knee with honey for a week. It seeps in you see and kills infection. Had to be PTS.

Peppermint tea to cure colic.

pennyturner

Visit site
My vet had us treat a systemic skin irritation with potassium iodide in pony's food for 5 months. Tons of it, so it was almost toxic. It gave him dandruff and weepy eyes, but it worked where antibiotics had failed.

Pendulous sarcoid... simply wrap a tail hair tightly around the stem and watch it fall off in a day or so. (This does actually work).

claireandnadia

Visit site
I guess somethings work for some horses and somethings don't. I personally had good results for Arthritis with my last mare and about to give it a go with my new horses for her itchy problems.
I rave about Camrosa, it's worked wonders for both my horses but know others who don't rate it.