Cremation for charity rescue horses?….a waste of money?

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Not wanting to derail this thread. Where do they get cremated or incinerated if the hunt collect them?
I took one to the hunt (via my job not my own horse) and drive past another hunt Kennels very regularly. I never see any signs of incineration and it must happen often. There are no smoke or chimneys visible
I don't know if all hunts do, but one local to me used to have a flesh round and the bone man came to pick up what was left over after feeding the hounds.

blitznbobs

Visit site
When you sign up to donate to medical science you have to be very specific about what you want to happen, and what you don't want to happen. There are options. Your family can get the remains back (via undertaker) so that they can have a 'normal' burial or cremation, or you can have a cremation organised by the medical school. For the person I knew who did this, the national repository centre in Nottingham organised the cremation. It was all done very respectfully through an undertaker with a proper hearse and flowers, music selected by the family and a short service - really no different to a 'normal' cremation. Where the family aren't coming, I think they do a joint service/cremation but they still do it all very respectfully through an undertaker.

If anyone is interested in donating themselves to science, you have to complete the form, with witnesses, before you die. And your relatives need to be aware that it could be 18 months plus before the scientists/teaching colleges have finished with you - and that during that time they may get updates about the types of research or teaching experiences you've been involved in. But from what I observed, it was all done in a very caring way and once the remains are released they just go back into the normal undertaker processes.
This is true but in actual fact most bodies are rejected if they are not going for general dissection - at the med school I was at it was well known that most bodies were donated to avoid funeral costs… sad but true…

We definitely treated the bodies as ‘patients’ and it was an expulsion offence to remove any part from the lab.

honetpot

Visit site
Cremation in the only option if the pony has received medication (quite likely for a rescue I’d imagine) or is pts by injection. I don’t think it’s necessary to have ashes back and a casket, but I imagine the sentiment brings in donations and that’s the reason they do it.

Unfortunately pts isn’t cheap, so the extra cost of having the ashes back doesn’t make that much of an extra dent. The difference is around £300 here.
Have something PTS, if its not by injection is relitively inexpensive, if its planned. You can shop around and my last one including disposal was £160,not the hunt, so even if its gone up there are much cheaper options.
The most I have ever paid just for disposal is £350, because it was not planned. We have a pets cematoruim not far from us, and a group cremation is always an option, at a much cheaper rate.

meleeka

Visit site
Just an aside, not everyone has the option of the hunt. There aren’t any where I live, although there is a very good fallen stock company. They apparently charge the same to shoot and remove as they do to remove only, which is still a few hundred I believe. I paid £456 with ashes, so not that much extra.

maya2008

Visit site
Group cremation via fallen stock scheme, incl pts by gun is about £225 where I live. Or you can pay £700+ for the same service with a vet pts or much more if you want the ashes back. Access to the fallen stock scheme can be achieved through the equine end of life service, which I found through the BHS website.

I’m not keen on the whole idea of ashes back, so was never interested in that option. If you can afford it and that’s your preference, fine.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
@ycbm totally agree. Even for humans I think death rituals are for the living and my family can do what they want with me, in whatever ways they feel would help.
For a charity to spend money in this way suggests a) their priorities are wrong, b) they don't make good pragmatic decisions in the best interests of living animals c) they may be too sentimental to do right by animals when the time comes, and d) they pander to sentimentaility in theor supporters, rather than educating people on what the priorities should be in terms of animal care and welfare.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Just an aside, not everyone has the option of the hunt. There aren’t any where I live, although there is a very good fallen stock company. They apparently charge the same to shoot and remove as they do to remove only, which is still a few hundred I believe. I paid £456 with ashes, so not that much extra.
Before long it is likely that none of us will have the option of disposal by the Hunt. Yet another knock on effect of the fluffy bunnies. Fortunately we have an excellent Equine Crematorium locally

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Round here the hunts all feed flesh. And pasties! But mainly flesh. One hunt has bought up the flesh rounds in the area and process the lot.
I think the local ones here must too. I'll find out as its just never really occurred to me to ask.
There is a local crematorium that collects and cremates, then returns the ashes. I hate to think what it costs. I feel very fortunate that once a horse is dead i think it very genuinely doesn't matter to me what happens to it. I'm very grateful for that as don't think I'd be able to justify a proper crematorium cost wise, even if i could afford it. I did once have a dog cremated but that was weirdly important to me at the time.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I had one pts recently, the body was taken away by the local knackerman, he said they are all cremated as they're signed out of the food chain, but I could have individual cremation and the ashes returned if I wished.
Another derailment! sorry!

By signing them out of the food chain I always thought this meant out of the human food chain rather than animal. Is that not the case?
Does anyone ever actually check a passport anyway? I don't recall having one checked before removal.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Fatty was shot by our huntsman his flesh went to the hounds the left over bit get incinerated the hunt has an incinerator.

rextherobber

Visit site
Another derailment! sorry!

By signing them out of the food chain I always thought this meant out of the human food chain rather than animal. Is that not the case?
Does anyone ever actually check a passport anyway? I don't recall having one checked before removal.
Sorry, should have said, pts by injection. But yes, I'd always thought it meant human food chain, but that's what he said.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I think the local ones here must too. I'll find out as its just never really occurred to me to ask.
There is a local crematorium that collects and cremates, then returns the ashes. I hate to think what it costs. I feel very fortunate that once a horse is dead i think it very genuinely doesn't matter to me what happens to it. I'm very grateful for that as don't think I'd be able to justify a proper crematorium cost wise, even if i could afford it. I did once have a dog cremated but that was weirdly important to me at the time.
My dog was £350 to be pts and cremated, ashes back in a little casket in September .
I hate how they seem to have made it fashionable to have that done to your pet. Both my dogs I have lost I have had cremated. But only BB has been cremated and ashes back but I would do Orbi too, heaven forbid I need to before I am well and truly retired.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
It’s an individual decision same as for people , some like to be buried but I would go for cremation and ashes scattered wherever anyone wants , I won’t care. I’ve never had any ashes back for dogs or horses and never buried any either. They live on in my head and once they have died the body doesn’t mean anything to me but my friend gets very stressed if she can’t visit her dogs grave so we are all different but I would question a charity who are short of money paying out to have ashes back

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Our local hunt run a fallen stock collection scheme which I am signed up to for the sheep. They also put down if needed. They do cattle and horses too but not (I think) pigs. Everything is cremated not fed to hounds. Some years ago when they were feeding flesh to hounds they lost some, not sure what the cause was exactly which I think is why they don't feed it now.

scats

Visit site
Yes complete waste of money, there is a local charity round here that waste money like it is going out of fashion, take on animals as if space isnt an issue have an aversion to PTS and cry poverty. No one can say anything about it because they have a cult like following but to me the conditions some of the animals are kept in just isnt ok

I hear you!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My dog was £350 to be pts and cremated, ashes back in a little casket in September .
I hate how they seem to have made it fashionable to have that done to your pet. Both my dogs I have lost I have had cremated. But only BB has been cremated and ashes back but I would do Orbi too, heaven forbid I need to before I am well and truly retired.
I’m very lucky that someone lets my bury mine. Maybe my opinion might be different otherwise.
Sadly they are not where I live but somewhere peaceful and lovely.
I couldn’t cremate them. I’m glad I did my dog though.

Bayracer

Visit site
Not wanting to derail this thread. Where do they get cremated or incinerated if the hunt collect them?
I took one to the hunt (via my job not my own horse) and drive past another hunt Kennels very regularly. I never see any signs of incineration and it must happen often. There are no smoke or chimneys visible
They will have a “clinical” waste bin, usually size of a skip. Any clinical waste such as bones, skins and bits that aren’t eaten such as brains of cattle because of BSE are put in this. A incineration company will then come and empty this. It can get rather “fragrant” in the summer if it’s been a week or so since collection day.

As for the original post I do not think this is a good use of charity money either. Also what happens to these asked after these volunteers don’t wants ashes collecting dust at their homes? They end up in landfill… if they wanted sentiment why not make something from the hair or shoes?
I also think people would be shocked at the environmental consequences of individual cremations. The energy and emissions used for an individual cremation are shocking for the environment.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I agree that having the ashes back is perhaps not a good use of funds, but equally using the hunt may put others off donating. Charities do have to be aware of their PR, and whilst some horsey people won't mind using the hunt, I can imagine some charity supporters would object to that too.

As others have said, they may have been offered the service as a discount as they're a charity?

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I assisted my neighbour when her pony was PTS a few months ago. I think it was £250/300 for the collection/disposal and I asked (just to be nosey) what it would cost for the ashes back. He quoted a minimum of £850 (more if you wanted a nicer box etc).
In terms of the charity, It does seem like a lot of money that could have been better spent elsewhere…

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
having the ashes back is perhaps not a good use of funds, but equally using the hunt may put others off donating

Those two things aren't connected.

When a horse dies, by any means, you have a choice between mass cremation and individual cremation and if you choose individual cremation you can then have the ashes back, for a big fee.

Melandmary

Visit site
Just playing devils advocate here but do we know the charity didn’t get discount on the cremation as a ‘donation’ to the charity. Or that it hadn’t come out of an individuals pocket rather than donations?

Anyway it’s a shame for the folk donating to the charity if they feel it’s a waste of their donations. Could you message the charity OP and get some clarification on the situation and let them know how you feel?
I have a pony from there that I got as a companion so I don’t want to ruffle any feathers incase they asked for her back. It was started by a non horsey person and that is evident in them rehoming unsuitable ponies and often having them returned. I felt guilty about all the hardship they were having keeping running so my new year resolution was to pick two charities and support them monthly to help with feed hence being so disappointed in what they chose to spend it on . I just wondered if I was being cold hearted on the matter

Velcrobum

Visit site
I have a pony from there that I got as a companion so I don’t want to ruffle any feathers incase they asked for her back. It was started by a non horsey person and that is evident in them rehoming unsuitable ponies and often having them returned. I felt guilty about all the hardship they were having keeping running so my new year resolution was to pick two charities and support them monthly to help with feed hence being so disappointed in what they chose to spend it on . I just wondered if I was being cold hearted on the matter
If they are struggling financially individual cremation and ashes back in a casket is a dreadful waste of funds. Depending where you are in the country this will be close to £1k whereas disposal will be £200-£250. Just think how much hay that would buy!!!!