Criollo appreciation thread

Landcruiser

Visit site
I think if there were more of them about they would be more popular...classic chicken and egg situation! People have often never heard of them as Paddy says, or know nothing about them. I have had so many compliments over the years with Tortuga. "Horse the judges would most like to take home," vet's dream horse" (he stands solid as a rock for any procedure, teeth, jabs, leg Xrays). I have been asked dozens of times over the years what his breeding is, and the majority haven't heard of criollos, but are impressed by the level headedness, the solidity, and the spark of him. They are such an allrounder, a horseman's horse. I feel very lucky indeed to have one of Arayan's to bring on.

palo1

Visit site
Just for the Criollo lovers...Chamfron Tizana (a 1/2 Criollo) completed Man V Horse yesterday. I took a particular interest in her because of the link to Arrayan Numa (who is her dad). Lovely sturdy dark blue roan mare. :) :) The other half of her is apparantly Irish. :)

paddy555

Visit site
Just for the Criollo lovers...Chamfron Tizana (a 1/2 Criollo) completed Man V Horse yesterday. I took a particular interest in her because of the link to Arrayan Numa (who is her dad). Lovely sturdy dark blue roan mare. :) :) The other half of her is apparantly Irish. :)
how did she get on? any footage, pics of her?

greasedweasel

www.chamfronstud.com
Yes mum was an Irish sports horse mare we hunted, by Cruz Forever (Cruising) out of a mare by Goldchain (Goldhills).

I believe lots of fun was had, probably finishing middle of the pack in conditions that were very hot and humid (I was impressed by the runners all smiling in the heat while running up mega hills!). She competed last year too and also does tent pegging, XC, long distance hacks, TREC etc

If you look at the man v horse FB page she pops up in lots of photos, grey riding pal, red top on rider.

palo1

Visit site
Yes mum was an Irish sports horse mare we hunted, by Cruz Forever (Cruising) out of a mare by Goldchain (Goldhills).

I believe lots of fun was had, probably finishing middle of the pack in conditions that were very hot and humid (I was impressed by the runners all smiling in the heat while running up mega hills!). She competed last year too and also does tent pegging, XC, long distance hacks, TREC etc

If you look at the man v horse FB page she pops up in lots of photos, grey riding pal, red top on rider.

Yes, a very comfortable middle of the pack finish :) No problems with Heart Rate or soundness at either vetting and really just got on with the job and finished strongly lol. A really super, versatile type and very much loved by her owner. Such a shame the Criollo isn't more appreciated as a x or full bred.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I have always fancied a Criollo. My first stallion's sire came from the Argentine. The Argentinian breeder had a herd of spotted horses and my boy's breeder brought two back with him after working out there. I always suspected that there was Criollo in the breeding and the photos I have seen of Criollos are quite similar in type. Lovely neat, clean legged horses, very sound and well balanced temperaments. Not over big either which suits me as a vertically challenged person.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
@Errin Paddywack Tibertich Chaco? If so, yes I agree!
So glad you do, he was a lovely horse and my boy Poncho was too. What I liked when I went up to see Poncho was that all the stock I saw by Chaco had the same neat heads, clean legs and were just generally such nice horses and very much of a type.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I know her and her owner well through TREC, we share a TREC club. She has developed into a super horse, and looks stunning in costume - recently seen in medieval wear and First World War costume at various events.

paddy555

Visit site
Yes, a very comfortable middle of the pack finish :) No problems with Heart Rate or soundness at either vetting and really just got on with the job and finished strongly lol. A really super, versatile type and very much loved by her owner. Such a shame the Criollo isn't more appreciated as a x or full bred.
totally excellent pics of her on the chamfronstud blogspot in case anyone hasn't found them yet. A real working horse.

Bethcrwys

New User
Visit site
Bit late to this thread but I have one of Arayan Numa's offspring...he was the luckiest find ever as he'd been bred for someone else who due to a bereavement couldn't keep him. His breed wasn't in the advert and I knew nothing about Criollos prior to this. The owner didn't want him overworked as a polo pony or passed around. He had lots of interest but I bought him for a very reasonable amount as she thought he liked me best 😂 Cricket is 5 now, just backed (but now relaxing and conservation grazing for the winter), has the kindest, calmest nature with birth people and other horses and I'll keep him forever. I've attached some photos but realised in doing so that he's always covered in mud!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231224_085208_com.android.gallery3d_edit_1947633013664267.jpg
    Screenshot_20231224_085208_com.android.gallery3d_edit_1947633013664267.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20231224_085151_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20231224_085151_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    863 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20231224_084843_com.android.gallery3d_edit_1947797188980388.jpg
    Screenshot_20231224_084843_com.android.gallery3d_edit_1947797188980388.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20231224_085041_com.android.gallery3d_edit_1947846663409547.jpg
    Screenshot_20231224_085041_com.android.gallery3d_edit_1947846663409547.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 39

asmp

Visit site
Bit late to this thread but I have one of Arayan Numa's offspring...he was the luckiest find ever as he'd been bred for someone else who due to a bereavement couldn't keep him. His breed wasn't in the advert and I knew nothing about Criollos prior to this. The owner didn't want him overworked as a polo pony or passed around. He had lots of interest but I bought him for a very reasonable amount as she thought he liked me best 😂 Cricket is 5 now, just backed (but now relaxing and conservation grazing for the winter), has the kindest, calmest nature with birth people and other horses and I'll keep him forever. I've attached some photos but realised in doing so that he's always covered in mud!
Lucky you! (Said as a fellow Criollo owner - have owned mine for 15 years)

Goldie's mum

Visit site
He's very lovely!

(and welcome to the forum!😁)

Ratface

Visit site
I used to hack one out for a friend when she was recuperating from a nasty fall. (Not from the Criollo, I hasten to add). Lovely ride and calm in the face of all the hazards which would have freaked out the Arab that I owned at the time.

Landcruiser

Visit site
His sister says Hi!

Attachments

• IMG_2624.jpeg
    IMG_2624.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 24

Hackback

Visit site
There was a Chamfron bred PB Criollo on our yard, now sold in very sad circumstances. The nicest nature of horses, and the only one who stood up to my strutting peacock of an Arab - when challenged the Criollo simply swung his ample bum on him and knocked him out of the way. Arab was dumbfounded and after recovering his composure strutted away and didn't bother Criollo again. I'd love to know how he's getting on, I hoped he'd pop up on this thread but he hasn't yet

greasedweasel

www.chamfronstud.com
There was a Chamfron bred PB Criollo on our yard, now sold in very sad circumstances. The nicest nature of horses, and the only one who stood up to my strutting peacock of an Arab - when challenged the Criollo simply swung his ample bum on him and knocked him out of the way. Arab was dumbfounded and after recovering his composure strutted away and didn't bother Criollo again. I'd love to know how he's getting on, I hoped he'd pop up on this thread but he hasn't yet

Can you let me know who this is please - privately if you prefer? I'm thinking perhaps Toledo? As you say, sad circumstances, not many of mine get sold on.

In happier news - There was a Chamfron Criollo at The London International horse show this week looking absolutely fabulous.

paddy555

Visit site

Spotherisk

Visit site
I'm happy for GW to correct me if I am wrong here. Is there really a demand for them? They are a lovely horse and probably very much what some people need but not necessarily what they seem want. If you brought in say 50 reasonable looking, reasonably trained adults would you get killed in the rush? Not in our area you wouldn't.

`no one down here is interested in mine, full stop. Absolutely no interest at all. If they ask if I have a new horse and I say, yes a criollo, nothing. Not even they have never heard of them. Arrayan stands out with his colour. He does look different from the local riding horses. When he first came to be polite I did warn riders I met he was a stallion. He didn't cause trouble but in our very narrow lanes as they rode 2 abreast I thought it better they realised. Big mistake.
Being a Criollo caused no interest to them. Being a stallion got a lot more comments and it seemed to terrify some.

After the lot OH found clinging with their horses to a hedge in terror as he rode him past I gave up. No one now realises he is a stallion and there is no interest in him being a Criollo. When I had a dark brown sec D I got lots of comments, people thought he was lovely.He was a similar height and similar build to the criollos. In fact he was a PITA to ride

the only comments I have ever seen about criollos are on HHO threads and that is from a small core group of people.

I am curious to know why people show so little interest in them as a breed. I rarely see bad things about them.

I had no idea he was so close to me! I used to love seeing his pictures and videos on Chamfron Stud oage and thought they were wonderful looking horses!