Crossbreed Names

Durhamchance

Visit site
Can you imagine if we started naming crossbreed horses like they name crossbreed dogs (such as Labradoodle and Springador)

I'm loaning a lovely Frisian x Connemara - Would he be a Frismara? or a Connesian?
A Cob x Thoroughbred - a Throb?
An Appaloosa x Warmblood- an Appablood or Warmloosa?

What wonderful sounding breeds do you have at home? ;)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't need to imagine. ;) :p

Having been on US forums there are names for cross breed horses that are contractions of or inspired by the two original breeds that also have their own 'breed registry'.

Welara and Morab spring to mind.

Then there are the ones that have a fancy new name eg Georgian Grande, Warlander, National Show Horse, Drum Horse (as a breed and not a job) and so on.

It's not a new idea though, having a name for a specific cross breed (think Anglo-arabs) but I do struggle with the Drum Horse as I do feel that that is a job and that they should have called the cross something else. :)

SEL

Visit site
I've seen a 'PRE Fusion' cropping up for sale on my FB feed. Wondered what on earth it was!

So I have exmoor x dales - I suppose dalesmoor isn't too ridiculous

French trait du Nord x Appaloosa - Trait du Appy I suppose :oops:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I've heard of Azteca, Spanish Norman, and Warlander. Those names have been around for quite some time. But this "PRE Fusion" thing is new, and sounds totally strange to me ? I never thought to call a crossbreed a fusion.

I've heard Araloosa before. Oddly, we don't have any crossbreeds at the yard I can think of, at the moment.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I've heard of Azteca, Spanish Norman, and Warlander. Those names have been around for quite some time. But this "PRE Fusion" thing is new, and sounds totally strange to me ? I never thought to call a crossbreed a fusion.

I've heard Araloosa before. Oddly, we don't have any crossbreeds at the yard I can think of, at the moment.
PRE Fusion is now also used for Spanish horses that are not or not eligible for ANCCE registration. So old register 2 or 4 horses. One of mine is a PRE fusion as she is PRE x TB.

Pippity

Visit site
So I have exmoor x dales - I suppose dalesmoor isn't too ridiculous

I think you mean an Ex(h)ales...

My old share horse was a Priesianbred - PRE/Friesian/TB. The one before that was a Shrakehner - Shire/Trakehner.

Current horse is a purebred mongrel, without a hint of identifiable breed anywhere.

Last edited:

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
A Shire crossed with a Percheron would, if the foal was a mare, give a Shiron, that would be pronounced "Sharon"... obvs....

Following with the bad spelling or pronunciation, a Exmoor pony crossed with a Dales pony could give us an Eskdale.

How about a Paint Horse crossed with a Luxembourg Warmblood... a Dulux?

Visit site
Well when you start crossing shetlands with things you just start calling them Shit...

I have never, ever, ever met a shetland cross that could be described as anything other than a butt ugly mongrel!

I do really want a Zebra cross though! They look so cool!

BBP

Visit site
Well when you start crossing shetlands with things you just start calling them Shit...

I have never, ever, ever met a shetland cross that could be described as anything other than a butt ugly mongrel!

I do really want a Zebra cross though! They look so cool!
I have one that we are pretty convinced is Shetland x Dartmoor and is one of the prettiest ponies I have ever seen. But based on your description maybe he isn’t part Shetland! (Although Shitmoor does describe him pretty well)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Friend had a Quarab, bought and sold advertised as that.

Do I own a Standard Loser or an Appabred?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I have two complete mongrels quite frankly! And one little grey nugget of purebred brilliance of course.

Used to have an Anglo Arab and an Irish Sports Horse though... two long standing crossbreeds with names!

Wishfilly

Visit site
I seem to remember a "Pintabian" being a thing for a while, which I believe is a coloured horse with a high percentage of arab blood.

Other cross breeds I have known and loved:

-Aramara (Arab x Connemara)
-Welshmoor (Welsh x Dartmoor)
-Arab Draught (Arab x Irish Draught)
-Shetmoor (Shetland x Exmoor)

ETA: The Shetland x Exmoor just looked like a small Exmoor to be honest, nothing ugly about him!

tristar

Visit site
we have anglo hispano arabs, or tres sangres, both official titles i believe for arabx tb x pre, and hispano arabs, pre x arab have their own stud book