Crufts 2016

satinbaze

Visit site
So following on from the Westminster thread I thought I would start a Crufts thread. Who is taking a dog, who is going to watch and your tip for the top.
I'm taking Tiva on gundog day look for Blacktoft Quickstep of Satinbaze in the catalogue. I'm also going to watch the Scottish terriers as a friend has her puppy there.
My tip for the top is very unclear this year as there have been no standout winners in the past year. I think I will go for a pointer in the gundog group and I have a feeling a bulldog will go best in show.

ponyparty

Visit site
So following on from the Westminster thread I thought I would start a Crufts thread. Who is taking a dog, who is going to watch and your tip for the top.
I'm taking Tiva on gundog day look for Blacktoft Quickstep of Satinbaze in the catalogue. I'm also going to watch the Scottish terriers as a friend has her puppy there.
My tip for the top is very unclear this year as there have been no standout winners in the past year. I think I will go for a pointer in the gundog group and I have a feeling a bulldog will go best in show.

I'm hoping to go on Terrier & Hound day - I want to watch the Manchester Terriers, specifically our Frank's breeder with his brother and sister, and their other dog, (and his dad's breeder - his dad won best in breed there last year!).
Plus I want to go all around Discover Dogs, talk dog, and daydream about dogs I can't have... I fell in love with a Hovawart last year, but OH said not allowed (too big and too hairy) :( will just have to settle for another MT eh ;)
Oh and will also be spending money I don't really have on pressies for Frank... I saw some really cool doggy puzzles there last year, perfect for exercising that busy terrier brain!

Best of luck with your dog, OP, hope you do well and have a fun day :)

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I'm handling my mum's cocker spaniel on the Friday, first time at Crufts for owner, handler and dog. He's also her first cocker and the first dog she's ever groomed. We are alternately thrilled and terrified. :p

I will be keeping an eye on the big screens for the large novice ABC agility as this is what I am so desperately aiming for with Dax, she had some clears in the quals last year and at present is running better than ever, we're going to have one last shot at qualifying this year before she's too old and creaky. I think a YKC agility handler might be running a sibe this year, can't remember where I read it, would be great to see if so.

Our agility instructor is also in the medium teams, they've won it many times before, if I can make it across I'll be cheering them on again. :)

Cahill

Visit site
i am going for my first time on the saturday.
looking forward to seeing rotts and sbt`s and i also love gsd`s.
i am taking my dogs collar measurments for if i see something nice to buy for them and want to watch lots of agility :)

Luci07

Visit site
i am going for my first time on the saturday.
looking forward to seeing rotts and sbt`s and i also love gsd`s.
i am taking my dogs collar measurments for if i see something nice to buy for them and want to watch lots of agility :)
Look out for my friends novice SBT bitch..Fernhill Nova. My friend is heavily involved in rescue as well. They didn't expect to qualify but little Fern has done it!

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I'm there (in theory) with my min poodle bitch so long as she isn't in season (She's over due now). But I will be there regardless with her littermate and my pal who owns him. So if Alice decides that she's going to come in to season I'll have a wander round and go find the agility rings to see if any my fellow club members are about. Also will be along to support the poodle rescue PNUK.

Tips for the top - I don't really have any. But I'm rooting for James the Gordon Setter (Lourdace Fulcrum) and Lee Cox and his wee toy bitch Star. Star was Group 3 last year and James was BOB.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
how long does it take to walk around ?
(or is that a silly question? )

how fast do you walk? lol

Seriously though it's all down to what you want to see and whether you want to shop, eat, use the loo (which btw, takes a ridiculously long time so plan well ahead).

You could easily get a four day pass and still not see everything. Especially if you spend time ringside watching the breed classes, displays, agility, fly ball and all the interactive stuff. BUt if you just go and shop, you might cover it in a day.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I know nothing about 'showing' (clearly! :redface3:), but are there any classes or sections for gundogs where the dogs have to achieve, if not a qualification, then at least some sort of certification that they show a willingness or an ability to support their ancestry and the purpose of the breed concerned? The same question could apply to some of the guarding breeds which are now used for either obedience competition or 'sport' of some sort, TD work for instance?

There's some requirement for some horses, I believe, (would they be PTP-ers?) where they need a letter of support to show that the animal's hunted and from a MH.

I'll admit to rather wandering about in the dark with this one! :)

Alec.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
There are the Gamekeepers classes for working gundogs as mentioned above where the dogs have to have worked in the last 12 months, I think they also have field trials classes. I think in most cases the dogs are not show dogs as such though. I don't know about gundogs but GSDs and I imagine other working breeds, have a Special Working class at Crufts. You have to have a working trials qualification to enter these but in these cases the dog is more likely to have been shown in the breed ring too.

satinbaze

Visit site
Satinbaze - you must get a flatcoat in the working bit, would be great to see.[/QUOTE]

Tivas sister will be in the gamekeepers classes as well as the main breed classes.

Clodagh

Visit site
So really like a higher class version of a terrier show, my OH has got a pile of certificates from years back where the huntsman certified that the dog had been entered to fox. I don't know if that still happens.

Clodagh

Visit site
Satinbaze - you must get a flatcoat in the working bit, would be great to see.

Tivas sister will be in the gamekeepers classes as well as the main breed classes.[/QUOTE]

Good news. I presume flatcoats are not in two distinct camps in looks, unlike labs and spaniels?

satinbaze

Visit site
Working trials classes are only scheduled for GSD, border collie, Doberman and I think Rottweiler. Dogs have to have qualified UDex in working trials. The border collie classes are quite well supported but not so in other breeds.

In flatcoats the working gundog classes (for dogs that are used as picking up dogs or have at least a COM at a field trial) are well supported as we are still thankfully considered a dual purpose breed and many show dogs also work in the field, unlike a lot of other gundog breeds that have 2 distinct types.
Druid - I hope your dog is better soon

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Good to hear there are still plenty of dual purpose flat coats . It's a shame that the KC won't accept an IPO qualification for working classes as I think this is what many GSD folk do now . I bet quite a few of the dogs in the open breed class will have an IPO qualification . I remember years ago having a GSD bitch qualified to run in both agility finals and the breed ring, but she wasn't eligible for the working class :(

Alec Swan

Visit site
Thank you for that M_M, and I think that it's all to the good. Show dogs and Work dogs, breed dependent, will often have apparent differences, but I remain certain that all work breeds would benefit from at least attempting to maintain a link with their working history.

Alec.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
A dog is eligible for entry in Special Working Gundog classes for
its Breed if it has a Working Gundog Certificate, a Kennel Club Show Gundog Working Certificate
or won an award, Diploma of Merit or Certificate of Merit in competition at a Field Trial held under
the rules of any governing body recognised by the Kennel Club.

Though as above in some breeds with a big split in type the entry numbers are vanishingly small.

A working class for sibes would be extremely interesting in terms of the split in breed type, the club offers a dual championship title but not working/racing classes.

Llanali

Visit site
I'll be there on Sunday with two and a couple more from my breeding. I don't have any tips, but I think the saluki that won the hound group last year will win our breed again

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I think there are a lot of folk who do get dual titles on their dogs - ie Ch in the breed rings and then Field Champs as well. I think there is something similar for working breeds too?

In the breed rings there also classes for good citizen qualified dogs -and of course then any dog can compete (if qualified) in agility/ fly ball/ obedience.

I have been fully encouraged by the breed folk to do agility too, and the agility people in my club want to see her out competing in full show coat.

I think the versatility of the British show dog is fab - no not everyone does dual purpose activities with their dogs but many do.

Lakota_Lizzie

Visit site
We are going on Friday, although my bitch is currently hopping lame, after a mid chase collision with another of our dogs! We have Welsh Springer Spaniels. Entered in breed classes and working/gamekeeper classes! Very excited. Good luck to all competing xx

druid

Visit site
Working/Gamekeeper classes sponsored by BASC are for working gun dogs who are NOT eigible for the breed rings - one set are for dogs owned by bona fide gamekeepers and one are for working dogs which have letters/signatures from gamekeepers proving the dog worked on a shoot in the previous season. There's separate classes for ESS, Labradors, other retrievers and other spaniels and possibly one for HPRs? The spaniel and HPR classes are poorly supported due to the docking laws.

Clodagh

Visit site
We are going on Friday, although my bitch is currently hopping lame, after a mid chase collision with another of our dogs! We have Welsh Springer Spaniels. Entered in breed classes and working/gamekeeper classes! Very excited. Good luck to all competing xx

My mum wants a Welsh springer! Funnily she was only complaining today that you never see them now, and you are only up the road. She doesn't need it now, her old dog is hale and hearty yet but then the time comes I may be chasing you.

Lakota_Lizzie

Visit site
My mum wants a Welsh springer! Funnily she was only complaining today that you never see them now, and you are only up the road. She doesn't need it now, her old dog is hale and hearty yet but then the time comes I may be chasing you.

I have no idea why they are a minor breed, a tad harder to train than our working Cockers yes, but such warm hearted loving dogs. They have a reputation for being velcro dogs! I wouldn't have anything else. We work and show ours so they are good dual purpose animals! There are a few round this way, both pets and breeders.

Lakota_Lizzie

Visit site
We are eligible to show in both breed classes and BASC/keeper classes. My bitch qualified for her breed class and as she is Gamekeeper owned and regularly worked she can compete in the other classes too. To enter these classes you do not have to have qualified for your breed class. Its all in the schedule, and fr our breed we are not the only ones doing both breed and working classes. Sadly one of our dogs is docked so he cannot come along which is a real pitty.