Crufts 2019, sorely tempted

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I am just watching last nights. Assuming it is dog people watching, why do they assume we are all so ignorant?

I don’t mind Clare so much, but ex CBeebies presenters are pushing it. I didn’t like Peter Purves but at least he had some knowledge. It’s all a bit Playschool now.

{97702}

Visit site
And why are Rottweilers sloped behind now? That is new isn't it?
I think Boxers and Dobes look much better docked! Or they need to do something about those awful curly tails.

I would think it is just ‘showing fashion’ to stack a Rottie like that now.....

I totally agree about boxers, dobes & rotties being docked, but that’s a very unpopular view nowadays 🙄

chaps89

Visit site
Was anyone else slightly shocked by the size of the lab yesterday? I don't have a dog anymore but I was watching with a friend and we were both surprised just how tubby it seemed.
I loved the water spaniel who won, he looked a lot of fun and the handler seemed so thrilled too.

{97702}

Visit site
Ha ha a rant came up in my memories on Facebook yesterday, from a couple of years ago... I even read it in my head in Frank Kane’s voice (the dog show judge who commentates on Crufts)... describing a fat, unfit poorly muscled show greyhound as “fit as a fiddle without an ounce of fat”

Crufts is an abomination, I cannot understand the obsession about it....

Actually I need to edit that.... dog showing is an abomination... Crufts is just the example which gets media hype

Last edited:

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Ha ha a rant came up in my memories on Facebook yesterday, from a couple of years ago... I even read it in my head in Frank Kane’s voice (the dog show judge who commentates on Crufts)... describing a fat, unfit poorly muscled show greyhound as “fit as a fiddle without an ounce of fat”

Crufts is an abomination, I cannot understand the obsession about it....

Actually I need to edit that.... dog showing is an abomination... Crufts is just the example which gets media hype
I think he used the terms”fit for function” for the fat lab this year ! 😀

{97702}

Visit site
Actually frank Kane is a gundog man, he bred American cockers.

Oooo apologies you are so right! I wonder which all rounder I was thinking of....

Which doesn’t actually detract from the fact he cannot tell a fit healthy dog when he sees one 🙄

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i like watching the other bits like agility and like the interviews with the winning dogs, love the name dave for the boxer.....he really did look like a dave to me....i like watching the hounds and terriers day and just hoping that the deerhound is shown as they are my favourite dog of all time...

{97702}

Visit site
I'd entered Roscoe under him a couple of years ago but he came down with KC the week before the show, perhaps it was for the best. :p

Are you trying to say that perhaps I got a little carried away with my ranting? 😛😄

Derek Tattersall.... that’s who I was thinking of.... shocking how many of the all rounders I remember are no longer with us ☹️

Last edited:

{97702}

Visit site
Well Blackcob I've just seen he is judging the hound group - that should be hilarious, particularly since another well known all-rounder has given best of breed in whippets to a bitch from the yearling class...... **head desk**

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
For me, good movement is paramount. I’m not sure if it’s the horse person in me or just years of seeing badly moving dogs at Crufts/lesser shows. Movement is the first thing I notice in whatever breed I study.

satinbaze

Visit site
For me, good movement is paramount. I’m not sure if it’s the horse person in me or just years of seeing badly moving dogs at Crufts/lesser shows. Movement is the first thing I notice in whatever breed I study.

I quite agree movement is paramount. Unfortunately many judges can’t even spot lameness let alone good movement.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Both of my dogs, particularly the older one, despite being upright and cobby and short coupled :p have a lovely, floating, extended gait offlead, which to me epitomizes the way the breed should move. But someone posts a video of a dog hock-walking at fast pace with a hinge in it's back, scrabbling along and pulling into the end of a long lead and it gets eleventybillion likes and comments.
Yeah I know, I've changed....