Cubbing

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've been hunting once last year but never cubbing as hunting had already started when I got the horse.
So I wondered as they are local next Saturday a few things,
Do I need to plait? Is my tweed hacking jacket ok? (With a stock?)
How fast will it be and will there be jumping involved? I only hunted once as they didn't appear to have a non jumping group and I'm not the most confident jumper these days ;)
What time is the meet usually?

Orangehorse

Visit site
Called Autumn Hunting by the way!

Tweed jacket is correct, no need to plait, although clean and tidy obviously.

With our hunt it is very boring with a great deal of standing around for ages, with an occasional trot to another cover - but hunts vary so you would have to ask about yours.

spacefaer

Visit site
Ratcatcher is correct turnout for autumn hunting. Tweed hacking jacket, coloured stock, beige/fawn breeches, black or brown boots. No plaiting til after Opening Meet.

There shouldn't be any jumping yet - horses aren't fit enough, and it's more about moving around the countryside than larking.

Meets at the moment are around 6/6.15 am here, but you will have to check with the Hon Sec, as you'll be speaking to her about coming out anyway! Make sure you are on board and ready to move off at the advertised time - there is no hanging around at the meet (and no food) at this time of year.

Are you Cotswold?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Apologies! Autumn hunting.
The farm we live on allows the hunt across and they go round opening gates etc the night before so we get invited along if they are close. I'm sure they actually called it cubbing tbh.
Ok, so that's all good. I have the correct clothing and can make pony look smart straight from the field if no plaiting is involved.
I am Cotswold area yes and my daughter go's out with North Cots but the one that's very close to home is the VWH :)

Orangehorse

Visit site
I had a great couple of days with the North Cotswold many, many, many years ago with my pony. I was so chuffed when some old chap in the red hunt coat said "doesn't your pony jump well" when we soared over some huge hedges.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I had a great couple of days with the North Cotswold many, many, many years ago with my pony. I was so chuffed when some old chap in the red hunt coat said "doesn't your pony jump well" when we soared over some huge hedges.

They do seem nice, I've never been but daughter loves going out with them. She enjoys the jumping too, Its done the horse she rides a world of good as it used to slam the brakes on at anything but out hunting point and go!

spacefaer

Visit site
The VWH are lovely, old fashioned (as in traditional). I had a morning out with them last October, trying a horse. It was quite busy - think on the move 80% of the time - but no jumping. We opened gates, went through gaps in hedges, or went round by the road.

The northern boundary of the VWH - where it marches with the Cotswold - is one of my most favourite parts of their country. It's not a big jumping part of their country either, once they start - it's all hunt jumps and walls. Fabulous bit (if a little hilly!)

Hope you have a lovely time!

Clodagh

Visit site
I think it is such a shame when people describe cubbing/autumn hunting as boring. It is the best time of the season and when you get to really see hound work. It is only boring if your sole reason for hunting is to charge about on other peoples land. (Takes grumpy hat off).
Enjoy, OP, nothing like sitting by a cover on an autumn morning waiting for that first hound to speak. (Preferably on a nice horse that stands still. :) )

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't find it boring but Frank couldn't cope with it straight out the box, gets a fidget on and as I found out to my embarrassment one morning not to be trusted with the young entry which granted isn't where it should be but does not need telling by him. In wilts we had to hack so he was fine :).

meesha

Visit site
Had a lovely morning autumn trailing with wsvh Saturday, amazing views, lovely company and great to hear our field master explain things to the couple of first time out young children. Yes lots of standing around, some walk, trot and even a little canter. Next time cream tea meet!!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Well it is boring when the pack disappears into a huge wood for about 1 hour with no sight or sound of anything and all the riders are standing alongside the wood with nothing to do but wait until they are told to move.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I suppose on the plus side if we do end up standing a lot it won't be cold and I won't be worried about my fully clipped TB freezing (or me!) In icy weather ;)

Clodagh

Visit site
I suppose on the plus side if we do end up standing a lot it won't be cold and I won't be worried about my fully clipped TB freezing (or me!) In icy weather ;)

There is that, but you have and like dogs too so I am sure you will appreciate watching the hound work. :)

ester

Visit site
Well it is boring when the pack disappears into a huge wood for about 1 hour with no sight or sound of anything and all the riders are standing alongside the wood with nothing to do but wait until they are told to move.

you are standing with the wrong people ;)

Shay

Visit site
Perhaps hunts could do more to explain the purpose of autumn hunting. I can take orange horse's point that if this is all she sees or understands of what is happening then it is boring. I love all aspects of hunting and because we are autumn hunting right now I love that too! But actually you get more out of it if you understand the technicalities. And you can learn so much autumn hunting which makes your experience of the main season richer. I love watching the hounds work (where you can see them) or just listening to them work, to how the huntsman works them. Listening to the world wake up around us. Trying to identify hound voices, reminding myself what the horn calls mean etc.

And then it gets to 4pm on the day where you have been up and active since 4am and I remember why I am now a bit too old to go hunting before work...!

ester

Visit site
To some extent that is what I meant by the wrong people. I latched on to a lovely lady in my previous hunt who was in charge of their hound breeding and essentially was a veritable mine of interesting information (and made excellent gin!)

Mike007

Visit site
Perhaps it is our fault.We may be so wrapped up in what is going on that we fail to pass this on to the less experienced. Mostly ,cubbing/autumn hunting is experienced by sound rather than visually. I create a mental image of where everyone is and what they are doing. I listen for the wrong sound . For example this morning . (was it really this morning , 3 days cubbing in a row disorientates one!lol) .Hounds moving fast the wrong way . No one said ,get to the road, we just went . Mad gallop and some jungle bashing ,just in time to head off hounds from the rush hour traffic. Job well done. (also many thanks to a random motorcyclist who helped slow traffic.) Autumn hunting is certainly not boring.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
To some extent that is what I meant by the wrong people. I latched on to a lovely lady in my previous hunt who was in charge of their hound breeding and essentially was a veritable mine of interesting information (and made excellent gin!)
Well, quite. As someone who hasn't hunted since before the ban, I don't have a clue what modern autumn hunting is about, seeing as so much of what cubbing used to be is now off limits.

respectedpony driver

Visit site
Called Autumn Hunting by the way!

Tweed jacket is correct, no need to plait, although clean and tidy obviously.

With our hunt it is very boring with a great deal of standing around for ages, with an occasional trot to another cover - but hunts vary so you would have to ask about yours.
That sounds like Cubbing/Hunting to me.
Arent you supposed to be following a trail,so why would you be standing around and going cover to cover.

Reactions: rca

GTRJazz

Visit site
A terrier is sent down after them while the pack waits at the side of the copse
I am only a Horse expert though and only go on Mock Hunts

FemelleReynard

Visit site
And I'm sure there are loads of fox cubs round at this time of year! Hmmmm.

Why don't you take your scaremongering elsewhere? You're obviously completely ill-informed - you're spouting the rubbish that is peddled by antis to make the general public (who know nothing of hunting) think it's this awful thing and we go around slaughtering fox cubs which couldn't be further from the truth.

GTRJazz

Visit site
And I'm sure there are loads of fox cubs round at this time of year! Hmmmm.

Why don't you take your scaremongering elsewhere? You're obviously completely ill-informed - you're spouting the rubbish that is peddled by antis to make the general public (who know nothing of hunting) think it's this awful thing and we go around slaughtering fox cubs which couldn't be further from the truth.

I am not Pro or Anti hunt this link is factual though yes cubs that look like small adults as mentioned in the doc, The clue is in the name CUBBING

https://www.league.org.uk/cub-hunting

FemelleReynard

Visit site
There is nothing factual about information provided by the LACS. They are ANTI HUNTING, not a neutral group, and therefore will post biased, extreme and inaccurate information to promote their cause.

As discussed throughout this thread, it's not called cubbing it's called Autumn Hunting.

I suggest you don't believe everything you read on the internet, particularly if it comes from LACS.

Clodagh

Visit site
I went and read the link and as a description of pre ban cubbing it us pretty accurate. But even lacs don't claim that foxes live in dens or burrows.