Cudo's continuing adventures in America

BunnyDog

Visit site
You all are very kind. Truth be told I think that the foot abscess and the little bump he got in the field really made a difference. Both made us slow down and do more flatwork. I mean I don't jump my guys a ton anyway (They only have so many jump in their bodies, why waste them) but we've worked a lot of strengthening and position improvement and really getting our signals down to smaller cues for bigger reactions. Now we have a long way to go but since we're at full speed again I think I can start grabbing some lessons with him now on a more regular basis and hopefully improve all the little pieces of the equation.

We have another show this coming Saturday which is a local pony club benefit unrecognized show. But it has a mini prix that I did a few years ago with another horse. I loved the show and swore I'd be back. The mini prix is now lower as it tops out at 1.15 but that will suit where we are in life perfectly. After that we have 2 weekends off, 1 for rest and 1 for traveling for my mom's 70th bday. After that we want to find a show on the 26th and then we are planning to go to Upperville which is a big A show June 8-10. I'm trying to decide if I will do the High Amateur 1.10 or the Low Amateur Owner at 1.20. The next 6 weeks will help us sort that out.

Cudo lucked out and his Pulse therapist is in the area today so he'll get pulsed again and then have today and tomorrow off to relax.

Lots of fun things coming. I just can't wait.

Em

SpringArising

Visit site
BunnyDog, why is the 1.10 called the High Amateur but the 1.20 called the Low Amateur? You guys have so many different names and acronyms!

Are your Amateur Owner classes the equivalent of our unaffiliated classes?

Your latest pics are fab, BTW. You found a smashing horse in Cudo, and you ride him wonderfully!

BunnyDog

Visit site
BunnyDog, why is the 1.10 called the High Amateur but the 1.20 called the Low Amateur? You guys have so many different names and acronyms!

Are your Amateur Owner classes the equivalent of our unaffiliated classes?

Your latest pics are fab, BTW. You found a smashing horse in Cudo, and you ride him wonderfully!

First, thank you. All these kind words are making me tear up repeatedly. So by now I look a bit puffy. Hope none of my co workers pop by my office today. Ha ha ha.

Ok so we have these levels as they pertain to Amateurs in jumpers.

Low Child/Adult Amateur jumper - They compete around 1m high and can be either children (under 18) or Amateurs on horses they do not necessarily own. They can be on leased horses or on another persons horse so long as the rider themselves paid for the entry. They can own their horse as well.

High Child/Adult Amateur Jumper - They compete around 1.10m high and same as above on entry requirements.

Amateur Owner Jumper - As the title suggests you must be both the owner and an amateur (By the United States Equestrians rules for an Amateur: Go here https://www.usef.org/forms-pubs/nT3TlM3v0NA/gr13-competition-participants-and It's on page 11)

There are levels to the Amateur Owner divisions. Low is 1.20 but goes to 1.25 in Classics. Medium is 1.30 - 1.35. High is 1.40 - 1.45.

The US amateur rules are hotly debated often and are confusing enough that there are people at the US Equestrian offices whose job is to answer emails on the Amateur inquiry email account about if various scenarios posed by members are violations or within the rules.

Example: you cannot be paid to gallop racehorses and be considered an amateur for showing. This has been reversed to this current position from being allowed a few years ago.

Overall it's really a hot mess.

Now someone needs to help me to understand the differences in the UK show classes. I am totally at a loss.

Em

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ha, I was going to say I suspect it is about as clear as mud in the UK if you aren't here either!

He looked fab and great you finally got out :)

BunnyDog

Visit site
I think he felt a bit too good as he then went out that night and ripped off a shoe and all the walls where we would have nailed into. Soo now Mr. Fancy Pants is wearing 1 new glue on Poly flex shoe and one regular steel shoe.

He also has shown us that he is definitely NOT a fan of American flies. So I will be looking online at all the newest fly gear for his royal highness.

Horses. It's always something.

Em

Bernster

Visit site
I think he felt a bit too good as he then went out that night and ripped off a shoe and all the walls where we would have nailed into. Soo now Mr. Fancy Pants is wearing 1 new glue on Poly flex shoe and one regular steel shoe.

He also has shown us that he is definitely NOT a fan of American flies. So I will be looking online at all the newest fly gear for his royal highness.

Horses. It's always something.

Em

Haha, he knows you like him so now he's being a diva to get all the goodies :)

Glue on shoes are handy for serial shoe pullers. Mine needed them when I first got him - either cos he was young and clumsy or because farrier was sorting out his foot balance - and they worked a treat. Expensive though !

BunnyDog

Visit site
Saturday night update with video!

Went to a small show not far from us today. Originally we were going to contest their "mini prix" at 1.15m but our scratched down tho just being me. So I settled for doing just the High amateur division of 1.10m

https://youtu.be/52YinCrnI_g

https://youtu.be/rKPI4BHjFE0

https://youtu.be/Neh-FT21LdA

Ok first class was an optimum time class. So our run out, 100% due to my poor line, didn't count against me and we finished second.

The second was a power and speed class so if you're clear after jumps 1-7 you go fast fences 8-12. If you pay attention you'll see I got him to take 1 stride in a 2 stride combination. We won this class.

The third was going well until the last fence. The voice you hear say "EMILY! " is my trainer from 7th grade Beth Wicas. I'm planning to take some lessons with her again soon. We finished second in this class.

For the second week in a row we were reserve champion. Very happy with Cudo and he's really kicking butt.

Enjoy.

Emily

HeresHoping

Visit site
Saturday night update with video!

Went to a small show not far from us today. Originally we were going to contest their "mini prix" at 1.15m but our scratched down tho just being me. So I settled for doing just the High amateur division of 1.10m

https://youtu.be/52YinCrnI_g

https://youtu.be/rKPI4BHjFE0

https://youtu.be/Neh-FT21LdA

Ok first class was an optimum time class. So our run out, 100% due to my poor line, didn't count against me and we finished second.

The second was a power and speed class so if you're clear after jumps 1-7 you go fast fences 8-12. If you pay attention you'll see I got him to take 1 stride in a 2 stride combination. We won this class.

The third was going well until the last fence. The voice you hear say "EMILY! " is my trainer from 7th grade Beth Wicas. I'm planning to take some lessons with her again soon. We finished second in this class.

For the second week in a row we were reserve champion. Very happy with Cudo and he's really kicking butt.

Enjoy.

Emily

How absolutely fabulous! You really do have a horse in a million there. And jees, they put some distance between your fences in a speed class!

Now don't tell anyone else where you got him otherwise there'll be nothing left here for us!

Last edited:

BunnyDog

Visit site
How absolutely fabulous! You really do have a horse in a million there. And jees, they put some distance between your fences in a speed class!

Now don't tell anyone else where you got him otherwise there'll be nothing left here for us!

Lol those courses were interesting for sure. A week ago I was almost constantly turning, then yesterday I felt like I was back in the school gym running wind sprints up and down the basketball court. Still a fun day.

Uhhhh sorry I've already mentioned that he came from England. Though I think you're safe. Most people have an over inflated mental value on the airfare and the cost of horses to import. They would die if they knew what I actually paid. Ha ha. Thank goodness for great exchange rates at the time.

Em

BunnyDog

Visit site
HI Everyone!!!!

I'm sorry it's been so long between updates. We have been having more rain than usual and as such our most recent scheduled show was cancelled...as we were on the grounds and being told to shelter in place due to lightning.

So let me catch you up on the past month.

1: We are headed to America's oldest Horse Show tomorrow, Upperville Horse Show in Upperville, Virginia. This is right outside the equestrian hub town of Middleburg, Virginia. We will be competing in the High Adult Amateur division which has fences from 1.10m-1.15m. We had been trying to do the Low Ammy Owner classes that are contested at 1.20m but sadly all our higher show classes either cancelled due to lack or turnout or weather. So this is the best path forward for us. We are now aiming for a 6/30/18 show to move up to 1.20. There's a free live feed of the show at www.upperville.com/live BUT it won't show our ring. However you can see live scores on line at this link: http://www.ryegate.com/SHOWS/UppervilleJ/2018/tsked.php John will be taking pics and a pro video company will be there so there will be lots to see after the fact.

2) Given all the rain I guess we were due for some challenges, they came in the form of shoeing issues. All is well now but Cudo has 1 glue on shoe and 1 steel and a patch over a crack that he came with. Our vet and farrier felt it best to try to help the crack to move on so we're working to grow it out. This can take a long time but he's worth trying to help with the foundation of his soundness. He's still barefoot behind but he'll likely get hind shoes in the next month or so.

3: Boy can he jump. We went a few weeks ago to Boyd Martin's farm and schooled in his outdoor school. We 'happened' to play over a bigger fence in a line of 3. How big... well we got it up to 1.40m and he doesn't even look like he's trying on the pathetic fuzzy video: https://youtu.be/p0A4vbsxGCI

4: I have started taking lessons with my trainer from the 7th grade. So in 1984 Beth was my instructor at my school. He we are MANY years later, she's close by, is a fabulous instructor still and has agreed to help us with our goals and my desire to be better. Plus side, she loves Cudo. (I mean who doesn't!) All is well through 3 lessons so far. Yesterday's lesson was a great confidence boost and we feel ready for the show now. Video clip here (Turn down your volume!!) https://youtu.be/p03almkrL1Y

So that's the short version of the last 30 days. AS always please come like Cudo's Facebook page!! https://www.facebook.com/ElCuadorHorse/

Best,

Emily

Sheep

Visit site
Glad everything is going so well for you and your lovely boy!

All the best for upcoming competitions - looking forward to hearing how everything goes :)

pixie27

Visit site
I really love following you guys - he is a gorgeous horse and you both seem to love each other's company. Good luck for Upperville, look forward to reading reports and seeing pictures.

BunnyDog

Visit site
Ok now I am laughing. In an ounce of conservative caution I added a round in the Low Adult Ammy Jumpers tomorrow before my high class. This will be at 1m. I checked the order, yep.... I go second out of 52 rides. Ha ha ha.

But in my High class, which follows it, I am going 46th in the order, out of 50 entries. So that's a nice Long break between rides.

Getting excited. Hard to sit at my work desk and focus right now. Keep watching the live feed of the 1.30 class thinking how I want to earn my way up there.

Em

BunnyDog

Visit site
So it was a fun weekend with a lot of good experiences and as expected some learning moments. I think I improved from Friday's round to Sunday's. I did manage a ribbon out of 40+ on Saturday (YAY) and we came away understanding more about each other and what we have to work on. This is good as we now have 3 weeks until our next show which is a more local 1 day show. So that more lessons in this time frame seem like a good idea.

I am including the 3 rounds YouTube Links. There are pics up on Cudo's FB page. He was sassy this morning and happy to get out in the rain with his buddy Max. We were very lucky that I stabled near the show with a friend and he had turnout down there every day so he wasn't cooped up in a tent stall in the blazing heat that we dealt with Saturday.

Round 1 Friday: https://youtu.be/GE7n0mIvByM This was a Power and Speed class. Since we were not clear we didn't progress beyond fence 8.

We had a blip at fence 3 and I would say that it was an equal mix of me not riding him enough and him deciding that for whatever reason he didn't appreciate the fence.

Round 2 Saturday: https://youtu.be/Mo3gZdUM3rQ This was a table 2b class. You jump clear first. Then stop for a sec, then jump your jump off. We managed to finish 7th out of I think 43 in this round.

This was a much better round in terms of riding Cudo versus sitting on Cudo. The blip at fence 6 was odd but he kept it up so that's all the counts. :)

Round 3 Sunday: https://youtu.be/VLJvk4zcSSc This was a stakes class and also in table 2b format. I was really excited to try the jump off, sadly a rail at #2 that was avoidable, if I hadn't picked on his mouth, took me out of that.

Overall I am pretty happy with where we are. We have work to do, as every rider does, and we will keep working hard to improve our game. Thank you all for following along, we appreciate all the support from near and far.

Best,

Emily

McFluff

Visit site
Lovely. You both make it look so easy and comfortable, and that you’ve scope to burn. Pity about the pole in the third round as that was (otherwise) a really classy round. Good luck for your next show.

BunnyDog

Visit site
McFluff,

I totally agree. That was going to be a good round. Much better had I left him alone or done my adjustments on landing instead of in the last feet before the base. (And yes I know better...ugh)

He does make it easy and it's a lot of fun to ride him and have that kind of scope beneath me. He's on his second day off today but back to the routine tomorrow.

Emily

BunnyDog

Visit site
Well I did a thing today. I called an audible on my show schedule and threw Cudo on the trailer. We went north to one of my favorite venues, East Freehold Park, in East Freehold, NJ for the Monmouth County Show run by Claudine Liberatore. I woke up wanting to tackle the next height level (3'11" /1.20m) in the form of their Low Amateur Owner division. I was the only one in the classes so I was given beautiful blue ribbons and lovely prizes. But what was even better was the ease and confidence that came from riding Cudo over what used to be 'big' fences. He makes it so damn easy and he teases my desires to see how big we might go. Sure I have style points and other things to improve (course memorization! 😂) but there was no fear, no nerves, just pure joy that it all went as it should and some flying sensations intertwined. No ribbons exist that would surmount those feelings. ❤ Let me not understate this, I got past a couple big demons who've been entrenched in me for a LONG time today. I really just want to celebrate. But there's more work to do.

My heartfelt thanks to Rose Nolen-Walston (Also English! )for letting me steal her daughter Ali for the day to be my right hand girl. I had so much fun hearing how to win from a Devon Horse Show champion. She's just awesome to spend a day with! Sadly my photographer hubby John was at work so all we have is video and a couple screen shots. I think the videos show a marked improvement from last weekend. Cudo likes more pace and I let the pony kid in me out for some "chicken wing flapping, smooch smooch, Git er done" type of rounds. And it worked!

Enjoy!

Em

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/Zcl8F0HWIYI

Bernster

Visit site
What a super boy! Lovely to hear how good he’s been for your confidence. Those courses are bonkers. I love how your friends are giving you directions, sat nav needed haha. But I see no chicken wings and pony club kicks though. I’m jumping half your height but I’ve got those moves mastered if you need help hahahahah.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I understand you totally. I could never crack 1.20 show jumping and it's a lasting disappointment. I topped out at 1.15 They are BIG fences!

Well done, and bask in that sensation!

BunnyDog

Visit site
Good Afternoon All,

It's another warm weekend in the US but nearly as bad as 2 weeks ago. We were dealing with what the weather apps call a 'real feel' temp of 42 degrees celsius. The actual temp was around 34 degrees but with the lack of wind and humidity, it felt like 108 or 110 degrees Farenheit. That's way too hot.

On tap for the next few days is taking Cudo to not 1 but two shows. He'll got a local farm's show tomorrow and do their newly added 1.20 Low Amateur Owner division. We lobbied for a high division to be added to more local show and this facility stepped up so as a a result I am going to give them my support. I am however not doing all the classes as we will also be showing on Tuesday as well. It was easier to get a day off from work on a random Tuesday than a Friday and the farm hosting the Tuesday show is a well known and lovely facility, that I have never been to. So, 2 shows in the next 5 days. But again, only aiming to do around 2 classes per show.

The more fun part is that I will look very tough as I have 9 new stitches in my cheek from a skin cancer removal on Wednesday. :)

If you'd like to see the show sites you can go here:

http://knockonwoodfarmllc.com/

http://www.ridgeshowjumping.com/

Video I found on YouTube from a Low AO round there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvSsLk7ejnI

So that's what Cudo is up to this week. Fingers crossed it goes well.

Have a good weekend of sport over there too!!!

Em

Northern Hare

Visit site
Hi Bunnydog! Thanks for the update and good luck to you and Cudo at your two shows - and look forward to reading / watching the updates! Also, all the best for your Op this week, and hope you recover quickly!

Btw, we’re also having an amazing few weeks of wonderful hot and dry weather - we live very close to where Cudo came from and we’re accustomed to plenty of rain, but today is literally the first rain we’ve had in six weeks - amazing for this time of year!

BunnyDog

Visit site
Well the first (unrecognized) show went really well. I was one of 3 people in my division of 1.20m jumpers and thankfully since I was the last to go and it was a VERY laid back show, I asked the fences to be made up to true size. And they did and it was awesome. The down side was that we didn't have any good warm up area. Soooo we only got to jump over 1 lowered vertical 3 times. And then I had to go hop to our 1.20 course. Soooo we got a cheap rail in the first two courses, completely understandable. I was still thrilled with him. The kicker is that when they raised the fences they raised this liverpool oxer and it looked 'big' to my eye. Didn't matter much as it wasn't on the first course, BUT....there it was on the second course. As the first fence. The show people, God love them, offered to lower it for me. That was when I blinked and said no thanks. Big girl pants went on and we jumped it well. I made sure to ride it how you should, with pace and to the base and shocker (not really) my scopey boy sailed over it. And man that was a great feeling. Euphoric in fact.

So lots of great times. We were the champion of our 3 man division even though I only did 2 classes. (They let me do the second course a second time to polish it a little...hence the 3rd round on video. )

So not bad. Now we get ready for the show on Tuesday. Probably by sleeping in tomorrow. :)

Video is here:

https://youtu.be/j5Avcq0Ro-4

Pics are here:

https://www.facebook.com/ElCuadorHo...tif_id=1531630690875168&notif_t=story_reshare

Hope you enjoy. Some folks who have met Cudo and watched him are now curious about English sale horses. LOL

Em

BunnyDog

Visit site
Ok so how wrong does this sound.... Another show at 1.20, another championship. :) (Against 2 people again, like Saturday. Which feels better than saying I was champion when I was the only one in the division.

We went to the recognized show today and it was forecast to be challenging weather and boy was it. High humidity and temps and then a hell of a storm that came through. I had the option to do my last round in the deluge and I'm lucky in rain so I did it. Nice round until fence 6 but all in all lots of forward progress.

I am completely exhausted but Cudo continues to be a star. I'm reminded as I sit here that a friend of mine commented after I got him "Oh you'll be doing 1.40 by the end of the year." It's completely unlikely but 5 months in I could see it. Not interested in rushing him but man he's that spectacular.

All the rounds are on his YouTube Playlist. The Show is called "The Ridge at Riverview"

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKBarO_NR9rgNc5Slv2uLRl8125uELIqg

Em