Curious bridle set-up?

stangs

Visit site

Looks like one pair of reins is attached to a curb bit, and the other to cavesson. Could anyone explain why you might want to do this?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Someone was doing this at the yard the other day, but I think her horse was in a snaffle. I've seen her ride him in a bitess (cross under style) before, and I know he's really heavy/leans onto the contact, so I wasn't sure if it was something to help with that?

Orangehorse

Visit site
In Josephine Knowles book ABC of Breaking and Schooling she suggests that when breaking in a pony that the reins are attached to the noseband, to preserve the pony's mouth.

In France on a riding holiday all the guest horses were in bitless bridles, so that novice riders didn't hang onto the reins - they had large parties of riders from nearby factories for instance, who had hardly ridden at all.
The guides rode with bits in their horse's mouths.

catkin

Visit site
In Josephine Knowles book ABC of Breaking and Schooling she suggests that when breaking in a pony that the reins are attached to the noseband, to preserve the pony's mouth..

I do that with a newly backed pony, one set of reins on a noseband, a second on a snaffle - and for the same reason. When they are wobbly wobbly babies learning to carry a rider it gives you some steering while they get used to things. Itsallvery low-key .

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I'm still baffled as to why one would use this set up, with a snaffle on their more established dressage horse. I suppose I could ask that livery, but I sort of fear conversing with them ? mostly because they come out with some weird things and know better than everyone.

stangs

Visit site
Interesting seeing the various reasons people do as she does, but I'm with you CC, for an established horse I'm still not sure why you'd do this rather than just going bitless, unless you're planning on competing perhaps.

Bumping to add the below. Less of a curious bridle set-up, more me being a numpty when it comes to trotters (horse was being driven), but didn't want to make another thread.

Could someone explain the whats and whys of the below set-up?
Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 16.54.38.png
IMG_2280.jpg
ETA a better photo of the set-up

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
is that an overcheck? i think it's to stop the horse putting its head lower, if in trotters then it would discourage cantering.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Don't know but it's not doing the horse any favours.

Tell us what you're seeing?
Interesting seeing the various reasons people do as she does, but I'm with you CC, for an established horse I'm still not sure why you'd do this rather than just going bitless, unless you're planning on competing perhaps.

Bumping to add the below. Less of a curious bridle set-up, more me being a numpty when it comes to trotters (horse was being driven), but didn't want to make another thread.

Second bit, in a word no, in a few words wtaf?

First question, a curb bit does affect the joints, a snaffle the muscles, so whatever you think of them there is a good reason for using one, and it can be very useful. Not personal experience but familiarish with the theory of dead, old and alive classical masters. I would expect they have no intention of competing, but that the horse doesn't get on with a snaffle, though I'm interested in seeing Branderup's specific reasoning for this set up.

stangs

Visit site
is that an overcheck? i think it's to stop the horse putting its head lower, if in trotters then it would discourage cantering.
Yes, that's it, thank you. I suppose it must be a sidecheck specifically, as that would explain why you can't see the rein. Unless there's any situation in which you'd use an overcheck bit but not the rein?

planete

Visit site
I am not worried by what I see in the video as the horse and rider seem in tune with each other and educated. I would be more worried by a plain snaffle wielded clumsily. It works for them, the horse is attentive and cooperative, no force is used. The trotter on the other hand does not look very comfortable. The old masters thought the pinnacle of good riding was being able to ride off the curb alone when the horse had achieved perfect self carriage. It is not so much the tools that matter but the training of the horse and the skill of the rider. If the horse responds to the rider's seat and balance, the reins become secondary.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site

View attachment 94973
View attachment 94980
ETA a better photo of the set-up
Looks like a regulator bit and an overcheck, which is not hooked up to the curl hook as not being worked.