Cut paw.

Clodagh

Visit site
Ffee managed to slice her paw on a walk yesterday. I was walking on the footpath behind her and thought ‘something has been killed here, so much blood’ then light dawned it wasn’t getting any less as we walked on.
Washed and temporarily bandaged at home and straight off to the vets. They quoted £300 - £350 for stitching, that’s fine, it has to be done. Picked her up 3 hours later to a £575 bill. Ouch! I know it still has to be done but!
Luckily I had intended to cancel her insurance, we only insure for the first couple of years, but I had forgotten, so good result.
It just wouldn’t stop bleeding so once she had seeped through 3 extra bandages I took her back this morning and he superglued the oozy bits. It seems dry now.
2 weeks no exercise, I’m dreading it!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Owwwww!

My Dad once had a similar incident when walking one of his Labs, he tried to use his handkerchief and scarf to pad the paw to get her back home. It was in the days before mobile phones, so he couldn't summon any help - and she was definitely too heavy to carry.

SusieT

Visit site
I have to say at £575 for suturing I'd have expected it not to be bleeding through bandages after surgery... I could buy a mild ooze but that sounds like the internal vessels could still be bleeding and while not an unreasonable bill, it is if the patient is still bleeding through multiple bandages...! Unless she has a bleeding tendency/problem which would worry me too.
Hope she is on the mend soon.

Clodagh

Visit site
Owwwww!

My Dad once had a similar incident when walking one of his Labs, he tried to use his handkerchief and scarf to pad the paw to get her back home. It was in the days before mobile phones, so he couldn't summon any help - and she was definitely too heavy to carry.

Ffe just had to walk home bleeding, I had no way of wrapping it and carrying was not an option. I thought all the blood would help clean it out!

fankino04

Visit site
Poor ffe, hope she's on the mend and feeling better. I once cancelled both cats insurance but luckily for me they made a mistake and only cancelled one as the other one had a £1k emergency trip to the vet a month later.

Clodagh

Visit site
OK, I need a waterproof boot that can slip over her clublike bandaged foot for going outside. She hates the drip bag the vets gave me and keeps trying to pull it off. I looked on Amazon (swallowing my principles) and saw these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HOMIMP-Tra...dage+cover+dog+paw&qid=1621155320&sr=8-9&th=1
Has anyone used them? I'm still traumatised from Tawny's boot saga years ago but these only have to stay on for low impact exercise.

Or these...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Sil...+bandage+cover+dog+paw&qid=1621155478&sr=8-39

fankino04

Visit site
No experience of them but I'm very tempted by the top ones, when ash was struggling with traction ( both him and noodle like to find the small gaps in between rugs and liners to still lie on the laminate) we got him anti slip socks which were great, except when he went into the garden and they got wet but the outdoor boots seemed quite uncomfortable for him.

Thistle

Visit site
Toast chased a cat up a flint wall 2 years ago and sliced his paw, it was a Saturday. Took him to the vets, 2 staples and a dressing, cost around £25, I re bandaged it most days but he went for a check up every 3rd or 4th day, and a rebandage which cost £16 a time. I used the boots that the vets sold but had to put extra vet wrap on the paw and he had to wear a cone. The vet wrap was a no chew one, he licked it, made him super thirsty and he couldn't stop peeing everywhere. We were about to go away for a few days, thought Lily's kidneys were packing up with the flooded utility overnight, cancelled our trip, then next dat worked out that it was Toast. Put a cone on and the rest is history.

druid

Visit site
Non Stop Protector booties - you'll get them on K9 trail time or Sportypaws store. They work much better than anything else I've used

deb_l222

Visit site
I have these for Willow

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124579867924?hash=item1d0189ed14:g:gPwAAOSwpk5f~Yb7

They're fairly robust, even by her standards but she does sometimes put her solitary nail through the end and I have to start a new one :)

I have them because they stay on remarkably well. Hope Ffee is on the mend soon. I have a limping Willow at the moment (she has a split in her foot/toe) and it's no fun.

Clodagh

Visit site
Well I had a meeting yesterday. Ffee was in the room with me. I wasn’t paying attention. She removed her bandages and so far as I can tell all the stitches as well.
Owner of the year award goes to me. I’ve just rebandaged it, it seems to be healing ok.
She’s also got a urinary infection.
Fun this.

twiggy2

Visit site
To be honest I would never have a pad stitched again, the last lurcher was terrible for cutting pads and paws and most of the vets would just wash and glue a pad, a vet did stitch her pad once and she just removed the stitches and it healed anyway,
Good luck with the healing, just watch for infection.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Well I had a meeting yesterday. Ffee was in the room with me. I wasn’t paying attention. She removed her bandages and so far as I can tell all the stitches as well.
Owner of the year award goes to me. I’ve just rebandaged it, it seems to be healing ok.
She’s also got a urinary infection.
Fun this.

I don't think you can blame yourself really. You've got to work!! Hopefully it will continue to heal up.

It's always a million things at once with them though isn't it?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Wrestling the dog to replace bandages is never fun. I’d say, after many years of cut paws with multiple springers, lots of vet wrap, duct tape (Lidl had unicorn pink rolls the other day, omg!), old sock and multiple plastic bags if she isn’t going out for walks. Superglue is amazing if there’s no infection. Nearly £600? Crikey!

Clodagh

Visit site
She’s very easy to bandage, she goes limp! It’s like one of the pretend dogs vet nurses start their training on.
Off to the vet for hopefully last bandage change now. I’ve been away so mum has been dealing so will be interesting to see how it is doing.
I’ve never had a paw stitched before, but Ive never had one as deeply cut. I will certainly consider just bandaging it next time.

Clodagh

Visit site
Well it hasn't healed at all. Vet was lovely and spent ages with me (got those withering stares of fury from all the people waiting when I left, but at least they were in the car park!).
He put a local in, debraded the healed apart edges and stapled it. Back tomorrow to see how its doing and if no better then a full suture job again. She is hopping lame now, I assume staples are less comfy than stitches, but at least it means she isn't trying to do too much with it.