Daft things told when viewing a horse..................

ticker

Visit site
Should have sent him a bill for your time and fuel Ticker :-D
Thankfully we used OH's farm vehicle truck so petrol costs wasn't an issue was a wasted journey though, poor OH had to deal with a miserable me all the way home.

I'd have thrown a blue fit at that Ticker! :O

I was very angry at the time, looking back if he was that dishonest buying probably wouldn't of gone well from him.

Arizahn

Visit site
Buyer: And how is she with the farrier, I see she is currently barefoot, what sort of trimming routine does she have?

Seller: Oh sure the roads wear them down nicely, never shoe a pony!

Buyer: Has she her jabs?

Seller: Oh we haven't had her long, I don't think she's ever needed them done!

The pony in question had been advertised by them for almost seven months, and was going for around £1500, no tack, no rugs (ah sure you don't need to rug a pony!), not even a headcollar. And seller was scared of her...

Sologirl

Visit site
"He's patent safety, suitable for a nervous/novice, the type everyone wants, hence why he's a bit more expensive"

Riiiiight......

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
To be scrupulously fair, many horses which are routinely ridden by only one person can react very badly when a new rider gets on..........

cptrayes

Visit site
'She's been out on loan and the loaner has spoiled her schooling, she's not usually like this'

Of the only horse I've ever been to see that I refused to get on through fear. A clearly unhinged ex racer TB mare.

'I didn't tell you He was a windsucker in case you didn't come and see him'

Of a horse who windsucked so badly he would rip his waterer off the wall. Too right I wouldn't have gone to see him!

Last edited:

Sologirl

Visit site
To be scrupulously fair, many horses which are routinely ridden by only one person can react very badly when a new rider gets on..........

Agreed - but these horses should not be described as being totally safe for anyone, surely?

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Agreed - but these horses should not be described as being totally safe for anyone, surely?

Ah, but you won't know that yourself until the "new" person gets on, will you? When I used to sell horses (a long time ago), I made sure several people had ridden it before I put it on the market, just to be confident it was used to a different rider. You would be surprised at what your "perfect" youngster thinks of "different rider", even if completely competent.........

Regandal

Visit site
When my friend bought her TB, the seller, who had bred her, was honest. "She's bucked off everyone who's came to see her. If you can stay on, we'll knock something off the price" She did stay on, and she did buy the horse. She never bucked again.

Arizahn

Visit site
When my friend bought her TB, the seller, who had bred her, was honest. "She's bucked off everyone who's came to see her. If you can stay on, we'll knock something off the price" She did stay on, and she did buy the horse. She never bucked again.

That's actually lovely :)

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Yes, knowing my boy needed a quiet yet confident rider, I had him schooled by my BHSII instructor [she rode, I paid] as no such riders were available [yes ty BHS riding schools].

So had some came along who he allowed to sit on them, some could not canter!

Then an AI [lapsed] came along.......... got on......... straight away he had "ears back" and she kept kicking, and he kept being "a madam", she said, "he won't accept the bit!
I went up to him and blew hard in to his ear , then asked her to circle round me in a 10 metre circle, cue "accepting the bit"!!!
So then her friend [and purchaser] got on him [told me she was experienced but apparently wanted something forward going to do endurance ]. She did struggle to mount him, but the three off us got her on top and I walked way............. cue the biggest double wellie in the world, fortunately both horse and I were completely taken by surprise so nothing much happened.
As he was perfectly happy to carry anybody round the arena using voice commands we got him going [rider said, no need to canter!!]
They "bought" him but he refused to go in their trailer!
I did have some others who came and tried him, none of the three could ride, tho number 2 thot she could! He just ignored her and kind of wandered round in an sort of oblong. She thot he was fabulous!
By the time number 3 got on he just decided he was too tired, so would only walk.! but as the girl had only been on a horse twice before she was quite happy.
They felt he would suit them if they "bonded" for three months before they rode him.
They wanted to buy him.... he has such a sweet nature!!!

Last edited:

kerrieberry2

Visit site
not when I viewed her but after I'd had her a few months (bought her locally) a girl from her old yard moved to my yard and told me that she was really bad to clip that she used to have to stand there with her arms wrapped around my mares legs whilst they clipped her! needless to say I was so worried when the lady came to clip her! my mare didn't bat an eyelid! now I clip her myself, with no one else around and she loves it so much that she starts grooming the stable door or whatever she is tied next too! she even groomed my arm at the weekend!!

sandi_84

Visit site
a girl from her old yard moved to my yard and told me that she was really bad to clip that she used to have to stand there with her arms wrapped around my mares legs whilst they clipped her!

:eek3: God forbid she ever actually did that to a horse that was nervous of anything! Just an accident in the making! :eek3:

Glad it turned out your mare is fine to clip though :D Some people tell the stupidest of lies :rolleyes3:

Happytohack

Visit site
At well know horse fair.
Possible buyer of pony "is that pony backed"
Seller ties up pony & calls over young lad & instructs him to get on pony. Once pony has stopped thrashing about, seller turns to buyer and says "well it is now".

Sologirl

Visit site

Beautifully honest!! :)

Ginger Bear

Visit site
'The pony looks & moves like a trotter, has he got trotter in him?'

'I believe he's done everything in his time!'

(What like trot??) hahaha

The previous owner then wanted me to buy a huge 17.5' saddle that she had on him which was clearly massive, when I said I didn't want him as it didn't for him.. She said 'but it was made for him?' .... (What a 17.5' thorowgood gp was made for him? Hahaha & I can just about squeeze a 16.5' on his short pony back.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Funny I had that, young girl was Junior Champion when they lived in London, unfortunately, she seemed unable to go in to a fence at the trot, it had to be hell for leather, and as my boy was only starting, he made a huge leap, so in spite of my protests the fence went up 2 feet, obviously it all went to pieces........
I was still giving them the benefit of the doubt and let them look after him for a few days while I went down south. But did take him out for a hack early morning before putting him back in stable [10.00 am], he was sound as a pound, had never ever been lame.
Two hours later got a text, your horse is lame , he is in his stable.
No idea how they managed it, and obviously as he was no use they just walked away. Apparently they even had to pay an instructor [where was it mentioned they could use my horse for lessons?]
A month later they also walked away with my haynet when they left the yard.

Happytohack

Visit site
Drove 200 miles to see a supposed saint of a happy hacker. Turned up to find horse loose wandering on the yard. Seller says he won't tie up. I ask if we can see him in a stable then. Horse proceeds to do wall of death round stable. Eventually seller manages to get fire breathing, sweat soaked horse tacked up. After being dragged from stable, she asks my OH for a leg up as horse will not stand to be mounted & can only be mounted by leg up from off side. After several attempts seller managed to get on board. Horse proceeded to nap for England & eventually seller managed to get him to trot out of yard - it was obvious he was lame! Advertised as suitable for nervous novice or disabled rider!!!!! Oh well - we stopped for a nice lunch on our way home.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Unreal, I have worked in a dealers yard, but only did the riding, most were OK, some were downright dangerous, but I suppose they all had to be sold. At that time I just used to jump off any I consider dangerous, somehow it did not bother me!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
went to see a lovely Fjord gelding, turned up at house at time expected only to find owners still in the front room in their pyjamas, they answered the door and said 'Oh, hang on, just head around the back we'll meet you there.'
Then.....said Fjord, who was advertised as 14.2 but was more like 13h) came hobbling lame in from the field, when we questioned the lameness they said 'he's never been lame before, he must have stepped on a stone' Yeah right!
Seller still offered for us to ride the poor lame horse and sent his wife for the tack. Wife then came back and said 'sorry but the tack has gone mouldy' WTF!
Needless to say we didnt purchase the horse (sad thought as he was lovely)

Ginger Bear

Visit site
went to see a lovely Fjord gelding, turned up at house at time expected only to find owners still in the front room in their pyjamas, they answered the door and said 'Oh, hang on, just head around the back we'll meet you there.'
Then.....said Fjord, who was advertised as 14.2 but was more like 13h) came hobbling lame in from the field, when we questioned the lameness they said 'he's never been lame before, he must have stepped on a stone' Yeah right!
Seller still offered for us to ride the poor lame horse and sent his wife for the tack. Wife then came back and said 'sorry but the tack has gone mouldy' WTF!
Needless to say we didnt purchase the horse (sad thought as he was lovely)

OMG!!!! Enough said..

Visit site
3 hour drive to view a cracking schoolmistress ISH, had spoke to them over the phone the day before we set off to confirm details and off we went

arrived at dealers , presented with a 16yr old TB gelding, told him there must be a mistake and got told
" Oh we sold her last week, this ones cheaper though " ... erm no thank you ! disgruntled OH drove us both the 3 hour trip home again. I could have murdered the dealer.

I went to view a 2 yr old chestnut tb filly, got to the address given (urban area street) and called the seller to be told to pull into a pub carpark, where out of the back of a trailer came a 6 month old black and white cob colt. My foolish friend bought it aswell!

prince ebony

Visit site
A few years ago I went to view a grey arab gelding which had an asking price of 3.5K. The pics in the ad looked great and he seemed to tick the boxes. Thankfully I didn't have to travel too far! When we arrived at said "allotment" in the middle od a council estate we found the horse in a makeshift stable. He was rugged and had only 3 shoes on overgrown feet. When they took the rug off he was tucked up and looked poor. The horse trotted up lame and they said that was his way of going and he is an arab! Yes I know arabs, I had one on loan at the time. They basically made excuses for his condition and feet but basically they'd bought a new horse and he was neglected. I walked away but I hope he found a nice home.

daughter's groom

Visit site
I was looking for a sane allrounder/RC type and the dealer said they were a dressage yard so didn't do much jumping, but the horse would jump a cross-pole, was very calm, safe, non-spooky etc. As I drove into the yard the horse was spooking at something in the next field, spooked at the watertrough as they took him into the arena, spooked at just about everything around the arena. The dealer asked the rider if she could take the horse up into canter and the rider said "weeellll, I can try....." He lurched into the most unbalanced canter I've ever seen and promptly fell into trot again. They put some poles on the ground as a preparation for jumping and it was clear he'd never seen a pole in his life. He spooked at the wings as he went between them and the dealer said "I won't ask him to jump if you don't mind, but you can see how fast he's learning"! I declined to ride that one.
Another time a seller of a "diamond", safe horse rode the horse down the field and he reared - twice! She assured me the horse had never done that before and all the horses were unsettled because a foal had been born in the field the night before. The horse then did a very dirty stop at a jump which the owner assured me they used to jump regularly. Didn't ride that one either.

Loved reading the postings on this thread. Thanks everyone for your contirbutions anf keep them coming please.
Cowpony:- I was half paying attention when I started reading your thread and when I saw "allrounder/RC" for some reason I registered RC- Roman Catholic. The images that sprang to mind were pretty peculiar!
As for the excuse, "it's never happened before", that has happened to me. Someone came to try our honest to goodness gelding who would rather jump the wings than refuse and couldn't get him near a jump. Despite her protestations of having ridden for a top showjumping family, she patently could not ride. Told her she wasn't what we were looking for!

Cowpony

Visit site
Loved reading the postings on this thread. Thanks everyone for your contirbutions anf keep them coming please.
Cowpony:- I was half paying attention when I started reading your thread and when I saw "allrounder/RC" for some reason I registered RC- Roman Catholic. The images that sprang to mind were pretty peculiar!
As for the excuse, "it's never happened before", that has happened to me. Someone came to try our honest to goodness gelding who would rather jump the wings than refuse and couldn't get him near a jump. Despite her protestations of having ridden for a top showjumping family, she patently could not ride. Told her she wasn't what we were looking for!

Lol! Yes I insist that all the horses I ride are RC!

Fools Motto

Visit site
I went with a friend to view a chestnut, suitable to go Novice and beyond eventing. He was a 17h 6yr, who had done a few unaffilliated competitions.
Firstly, pulled up at the yard, and they were waiting for us. She came over and said almost straight off, that she was 'so sorry, due to the fireworks last night, the horse has lost his hair and isn't himself'. Saw said chestnut horse, just been clipped by staff!! (Honestly, owner thought he was hairless due to fright! - took a while to convince her what clipping was). He was nice enough, but wasn't right for friend.