Dangerous charity

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I read this thread when it was posted last year, I remember finding it a bit odd then, and rereading it today, I still do. I thought the Original Poster received sensible, and doable suggestions about either A) sending the horse back to the charity/place he came from, B) rehoming him as a companion themselves, or C) euthanising him.

In reply #3 they said that they could not send him back, because they'd promised him they wouldn't. In other replies they said that maybe he could live as a companion, but what if the charity try to rehome him as a riding project again. And what if he's rehomed as a companion, but someone tries to ride him anyway. So that was option A, and B rejected. But when they're given realistic suggestions about option C, euthanasia, they responded with "This is something to have a think on."

Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I find it strange that they're somewhat talkative about what they thought about the option A, and B suggestions they got, yet, suggestion C was only met with a short That's something to think on.
Compared to their other replies, I would have expected at least some little comment along Oh, but he's so young, or Could I really...

In reply #7 they said "I just want to know if there's someone I can report the charity to", but when someone answered them about that, there's no Ok, done that - response, without instead But I don't think they're really a charity.

In reply #35 they say that they posted on HHO because "I was hoping someone on here knew more about dealing with this kind of thing and could guide me."
In my eyes, they received lots of sensible guidance, but they didn't seem to do anything based on it.

Then a few new users turned up, and replied on the thread. And someone who haven't posted anything in 13 years decided to post a link to a page claiming to defend the charity. One of the points in the link is that so or so Facebook group lost as much as 8 members:
"At one point we noticed that there were 704 members. The next time we looked it was 696!"

Maybe they did get kicked out of the group, but maybe some of them simply decided the group wasn't for them, and left. By trying to make something trifle sound like a big thing, it only makes me view their other evidence with a lot more scepticism.

Today, yet another new user appears, to post a very lengthy reply on this already odd thread, and when given the both polite, and helpful suggestion to "Please can you post the above but with paragraphs", they responded with "Don't reply then".
I know all users have to start posting somewhere, but newbies who posts like that doesn't sound as if they're planning to stay around.

Anyway, an already odd thread becomes even stranger, but does anyone actually know what happened to the OP's horse last year?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Doing a quick search, it seems they only posted on their own threads, all their threads seems to be about the same horse as on this thread (i.e. What to feed my pony, Trying to trace pony's past, What bit for bolting), and this was their last/latest thread.

Unless some of their replies have been removed by admin, I haven't read anything "ban worthy". So perhaps they've asked to have their user account shut down?

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
This place are coming to light again after re homing Leo walker (username) pony Leo so a very novice girl ...and rehoming whilst lame

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
This place are coming to light again after re homing Leo walker (username) pony Leo so a very novice girl ...and rehoming whilst lame

I thought she had loaned him to a friend?

ETA: I'm not on Facebook, so can't see a lot of stuff, but this is on their reviews:
Screenshot_2021-02-17-02-04-05-39~2.jpg

I feel very sorry for the pony, I used to like LW's posts about him, and it seems he has ended up in a completely unsuitable home now as well as being in a pretty shocking state when free rein got hold of him ?.

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
I thought she had loaned him to a friend?

ETA: I'm not on Facebook, so can't see a lot of stuff, but this is on their reviews:
View attachment 66021

I feel very sorry for the pony, I used to like LW's posts about him, and it seems he has ended up in a completely unsuitable home now as well as being in a pretty shocking state when free rein got hold of him ?.

She's taking very expensive legal action so can't post much about the situation but is devastated.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The woman on the dodgy dealer fb group has just posted a load of screenshots of messages between herself and Leo’s original owner. I totally agree with Rowreach, it all needs to be kept off any form of social media. Hope there’s a good outcome for the horse at the end of it all.

Can you report them to FB?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
The woman on the dodgy dealer fb group has just posted a load of screenshots of messages between herself and Leo’s original owner. I totally agree with Rowreach, it all needs to be kept off any form of social media. Hope there’s a good outcome for the horse at the end of it all.

It's been reported, LW is aware, let's not get this thread deleted (and me threatened with an HHO ban for updating) please :(

D

Deleted member 150717

I rehomed a pony from a charity 11 months ago. He sounded perfect for me. He was a 7 year old, new Forest X Welsh that had been previously started then turned away and forgotten about. When I enquired about him she said that he needed an experienced home and he could be a little bit nervous but wouldn’t act upon it. Since having him, he has not come with a passport so I had to get it, restart all his jabs, microchip him to me and get his hooves sorted that were in a right state. I also found an owner that had him as a 6 year old in 2012 making him at least 11.
My problem is, is that in the 11 months I’ve had him, we’ve made almost no progress at all. He has a serious bolting issue and I cannot stop him no matter how soft/ firm/ what aids I use or who rides him. When he wants his rider off, it’s coming off!
I’ve had people out to look at him dentist, back, saddle fitter etc etc and I spent hundreds of pounds getting help from a professional trainer to help with breaking him in. But he is still dangerous and I’m terrified of getting back on him as last time I fell off I ended up in hospital!
I had another lady who works with breaking in difficult horses come and tell me that ‘he is seriously f**ked up and something terrible has happened in his past to make him so psychologically broken’ she then went on to tell me it’s all about how much I’m willing to risk, as I am going to have nasty falls, be thrown into fences etc.
To be honest, this pony isn’t worth it! All it takes is one fall and I’ve broken my back and I’d be so angry if this pony stopped me doing the thing I loved most.

My problem now is: I can’t afford to get another horse and keep this one as a companion. In our loan contract from the charity, he must go back. But the charity is so dodgy and has absolutely terrible reviews on what they do with their horses and rehoming dangerous ones to new people all the time. I really don’t want to send him back. Is there anything else I can do?
could you report your situation to the rspca?

D

Deleted member 150717

I’m scared that if I tell her I don’t want him now then she’ll demand he comes back straight away and I know she won’t let me rehome him myself.
I just want to know if there’s someone I can report the charity to.
RSPCA ? Good luck it sounds a horrific situation to be in hopefully it’s sorted soon and he’s in a more suitable home. Good luck to you! Best wishes. Xx