Dangerous rearer - would you send back? Help.

Visit site
Finally found a lovely horse in the horrible horse market, went a viewed, we went for a hack and in the school and he was super. Sailed through 5 stage vetting. Was sold as kind allarounder for general ridding and riding club etc.

He arrived two weeks ago missing a back shoe. Got this put on (he was awful for farrier so that was first issue), then was awful to mount from block (fine to leg up or get on from ground but not easy when he’s 16’3). We hacked out with a nanny horse for three days with only minor spooking and one what I think could have been a rear if I hadn’t kicked on (not the end of the world, that’s horses).

HOWEVER, he had a day off and then I got on from a mounting block (we’d been practising) and we walked about ten steps and he bronced, reared vertically, bronced and spun until I flew off leaving me with a nice bruise and concussion from landing on tarmac

I’m not particularly sure what to do. I understand horses sometimes need to settle but this is obviously a learnt habit and wasn’t disclosed. 16’3 is a long way to fall on the regular.

Returns weren’t disclosed in a contract but he is a dealer so I assume I have 30 days or more as he isn’t as disclosed. What would you suggest and do? Would you try to return or try to fix and work through the issue?

hes also 13 so it’s not a case of a baby moment.

Thank you in advance

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
well i meant like have you checked there wasn't a rock under the saddle or a broken tree or something ;) I'd forgive any horse freaking out with a completely dreadful saddle and OP has mentioned mounting probs from the start so I think it's a fair thing to ask :)

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Provided it wasn't a new saddle you've had thats been badly fitted or some clear explained cause I'd be sending back. But then to me "kind" unless the saddle was tearing its back in 2, I wouldn't expect it to rear, more be reluctant to go forward/tight etc.

Fortunately I believe you have this option (as from dealer though I've never bought my own from a dealer so not sure of the rules)

If it was from a private seller, and I couldn't send back, and no clear cause (eg kissing spines), I'd be inclined to be calling someone to fire off a bullet....

Rearing is an absolute hard fast no for me. I also don't do bucking. Also, unless a clear cause was found (eg shocking saddle fit) I'd struggle to get on it again knowing it can do that so would still be inclined to send back

Did you get bloods done? I know if I ever get another (unlikely) I will be getting them done after seeing stories on here! I'd be interested to know what happened to cause the lost shoe....

Pippin and Poppy

Visit site
The first horse I bought napped, reared and fell over backwards when I rode her at home a week or so after she arrived with us. I asked a local riding school owner what she thought and her reply was 'there's no way back from that'.
We ended up giving her away to a very much more experienced home with all her issues disclosed. We should have sent her straight back, but my husband thought we should try to sort her - until he ended up in a ditch...

Visit site
Was a vet in the local area (they are a dealer so knew of all the local vets) but not their usual vet if that makes sense.

we took a few saddles to vetting and instructor and vet confirmed one was a good fit (saddler is booked for a few weeks time) so I wouldn’t say it is a terrible fit.

Upthecreek

Visit site
I probably wouldn’t bother with getting the bloods tested and just contact the dealer immediately and say you are returning the horse. A 13 year old horse that won’t stand politely to be shod, won’t stand at the block to be mounted and rears vertically and broncs to get the rider off is hardly a kind allrounder.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I would firstly triple check the saddle fit, assuming you have him in a new one? Ive had a horse explode with a badly fitting saddle (which had just been badly fitted by a professional saddler!). Things like the mounting block thing IMO arent a big deal, the horse may never have been used to it so its a change. I wouldnt spend loads of time on the issue though, I probably would just get the saddle double checked and if nothing obvious there then return it. But Id make the seller aware of what happened now (by email so paper trail) and see what their response is.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I tried a horse that did exactly this. On first viewing it was a saint, probably doped, second viewing, and thank god I did, it bronced within the first few strides of mounting. It had clearly done it before. A few weeks later I saw her up for sale again as new owner had lost her confidence as it had bronced her off several times. If your sure there isn't a real reason send back.

maya2008

Visit site
My sweet, kind TB reared once - her saddle had become too tight and after a day off it was extra painful. Not bolt upright, no falling over. Always fitted saddles slightly wide with a pad after that (and learned how to check they fit so I could check before getting on!). Otherwise she was a horse you could put a novice on for her whole ridden career if in enough canter work to keep her sane.

This is from a dealer, you can send back - could be saddle fit (I would check) but could be anything - arthritis somewhere, kissing spine…anything.

Michen

Visit site
well i meant like have you checked there wasn't a rock under the saddle or a broken tree or something ;) I'd forgive any horse freaking out with a completely dreadful saddle and OP has mentioned mounting probs from the start so I think it's a fair thing to ask :)

A rock under saddle maybe (but even then..!)but saddle fit/broken tree I still wouldn’t get back on any horse whose reaction was to do that, and I’d certainly not keep it when I could legally return it to a dealer.

Flicker

Visit site
Agree with all the others, send back. The longer you leave it, the more complex the case will be, the stronger the argument could be from the dealer that you’ve caused something to happen. I would be calling today to arrange a pick up or drop off. DO NOT under any circumstances get back on - it’s not worth it.

Visit site
Contact the dealer and tell them you are returning the horse immediately. Do not accept any excuses from the dealer. Keep your paper trail and get the horse back to the dealer for a full refund.

You don’t know that it is learned behaviour, it could well be down to the saddle you are using, as you haven’t had it fitted, you just don’t know. However, a horse that has that extreme a reaction, even to a saddle fit, has a problem. I would expect a horse who wasn’t happy with their saddle to be reluctant to move etc, not to react as yours has.

The fact that you’ve ridden the horse three times with no real issues and then the fourth time, it has exploded, something has happened. If you had bloods taken, get them run, you may need this evidence if there is anything found in them.