Daughter's pony - what to do?

Annagain

Visit site
It does sound like your daughter is ready for the next step. I'd just advise taking your time to find the right one. While you have the confidence giver at home there's no major rush. When I was a kid I had non-horsey parents and shared a very naughty 13hh pony as it was the only way I'd have a pony. Pony Club was a nightmare as there were all these younger kids absolutely flying on, what I now realise were expensive, carefully selected ponies but I felt very inadequate. I outgrew him and moved on to a 14.1 Section D at 13, another share. He wasn't perfect but he was very willing and the difference was incredible. All of a sudden I could join in with the good things and actually have fun. I ended up loaning, then buying him and had him until I lost him when we were both 27. Had I not found him when I did, I don't think I'd be riding now.

Polygon

Visit site
Thanks. I think we'll keep persevering with him as we have lots of PC stuff coming up and no other pony to take, and meanwhile I'll keep my eyes and ears open for other ponies. I feel like if we can even improve his jumping a bit, at least it makes him more useful to future riders. Or he may even get to a level which works for us, for now. And I will also try to think laterally about freeing up a space at home for a newbie/extra (or how to hide one :rolleyes:)

Annagain

Visit site
Thanks. I think we'll keep persevering with him as we have lots of PC stuff coming up and no other pony to take, and meanwhile I'll keep my eyes and ears open for other ponies. I feel like if we can even improve his jumping a bit, at least it makes him more useful to future riders. Or he may even get to a level which works for us, for now. And I will also try to think laterally about freeing up a space at home for a newbie/extra (or how to hide one :rolleyes:)

Do you know any kids who are really into jumping? It might be worth getting one of those on him to get him excited about it. An excited kid might have more of an effect on him than an adult. My friend had a kids pony for her fairly novicey kids. He was very sweet but a bit lacking in confidence with the jumps and would put a bit of a stop in fairly regularly. He really didn't seem to love it, although was better with a more confident kid. When they sold him, his new rider loved to jump and used to go whizzing around on him and it seems her excitement rubbed off on him. Within a year they were doing BS and flying round 1.20 tracks. He was only 12.2! As soon as he got the bug there was no stopping him.

BBP

Visit site
The one thing I would do, given he sounds like such a smashing pony, is be absolutely 100% sure that there is no physical reason that he would rather run out than jump. I’m probably only saying it now as it’s the current thing on my mind with my own horse, but I’d be making sure that there is no chance he could have sore heels or weak digital cushion in front feet that he might be happy enough with on the flat but not to land from a jump onto. Something like that could be improved and turn him into the perfect pony. I’d be getting a second opinion on everything from feet to saddle fit, just so I was sure it wasn’t an influence that could be changed. Plus I think it’s good for kids to learn to be aware of all the things that can be double checked.
But if it just isn’t his cup of tea there will be a queue of people wanting a pony like him.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I do agree with you! In my many discussions with my husband (out of earshot of our daughter) I've said to him that I don't want her to think of ponies as disposable and that if they're not perfect they have to go and we'll get a new one. My daughter has shown nothing but commitment to this boy, she keeps trying with him and never wishes herself on another pony (not out loud anyway!). She did LOVE the little ride she had on the very forward pony - I remember that feeling myself as a child when I got off my lazy 11.3 mare and had a ride on my friend's more forward going 12.3 pony. It was like swapping from a Skoda to a Ferrari ;). The forward going pony she rode is for sale (though she wasn't riding it for buying purposes) but is pretty green so I'm not sure that's the right next choice.
kid loves the green pony? It's for sale ask the question of her would you please think about who you would like to be with at camp next year, you may be surprised at how upset she will get about being disloyal to plooddy, but even if she decides she wants greenie, it will prove to you that she doesn't think ponies are dispensable

eahotson

Visit site
I would discuss this with your daughter.She, after all is the one in the saddle.How keen is she on jumping?Would it bother her if she couldn't?Perhaps she wants to jump but only up to a certain level.There are many things to do without jumping.Western riding is just one.