Dear Vendor

hotair

Visit site
It seems reading this its very common for people to missadvertise!!

I travelled 3 hours to view what was advertised as a 16hh tb mare 6 year old ottb started reschooling bold scopey jump and 3 nice paces good event prospect but needed more work as still a bit green, sounded exactly what i was looking for, arrived to find it was the best part of a hand smaller than advertised had an awfully swayed back looked closer to 20s than 6 and was hopping lame, i told all this to the owner who then told me she had 'misplaced' the passport but ordered a new one, horse wasnt lame just stiff and i coud take her on loan with a view to changing ownership..i declined. Oh and when i looked at the ad again after viewing the pics werent even the same horse they had clearly just described the horse in the pics and were obviously hoping to sell it to someone who didnt have a clue. Felt very sorry for the poor lame horse and very annoyed at the waste to my time.

Visit site
Two hour journey to see a horse which was being driven out of the yard by its new owners as I drove in !
Horse obviously lame with a huge knee
Horse covered with lice
Horse still uncatchable after half an hour.
Having to try a horse out in a ploughed field!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
You can't blame vendor's for trying. There's always some numpty who'll buy. Unbelieveable but true; former livery went to view a small 6 year old bay mare for her 4 year old daughter. She paid the seller who promised to deliver it the next day. Lorry arrives and a man unloads a skewbald pony. Buyer says, this isn't the one I saw yesterday and the man says, this is the one I was told to bring, so as not to disappoint excited daughter, she says, okay and pays.
When YO arrives, she points out that she has actually bought a yearling colt. Scary.

digitalangel

Visit site
I once travelled over 4 hours each way INCLUDING an overnight hotel for an all singing and all dancing 5 year old - who when i arrived almost sat down when the seller got on! I asked to see someone else get on it as i had my suspicions it was greener then she was letting on - it rodeod the person off when mounting! over 250 pounds of my money wasted in hotel and fuel and the horse was NOT as decribed!

9tails

Visit site
You can't blame vendor's for trying. There's always some numpty who'll buy. Unbelieveable but true; former livery went to view a small 6 year old bay mare for her 4 year old daughter. She paid the seller who promised to deliver it the next day. Lorry arrives and a man unloads a skewbald pony. Buyer says, this isn't the one I saw yesterday and the man says, this is the one I was told to bring, so as not to disappoint excited daughter, she says, okay and pays.
When YO arrives, she points out that she has actually bought a yearling colt. Scary.

NO!!!

Runaground

Visit site

OH YES YOU BEEPING WELL CAN! A few years ago I was that so called, "numpty" nothing obviously wrong with horse, (experienced friend, 5 stage vetting by Rossdale's) Then from nowhere after a couple of months rodeo and ................

BROKEN BACK. (mine) so think again about how ok it is to sell a horse with a known problem (it was known)!!!!

gmw

Visit site
Over the years we have been to see umpteen 'Oooer he/she has never done that before'!!. Driving 31/2 hours to see a 'sweet natured mare' mare that nearly ripped your face off when you tacked her up wouldn't stand for owner to mount her and was lame. The 15.2 weight carrier that nearly passed out when he saw me turn up in johds and hat; poor mite was only about 13.3hh. The pony that buggered off with 7yr grandson over hill and dale, grandson managed to turn him it whizzed past us straight into stable. Grandson smiled and said he's lovely!!!!!!! Oh yes I'm a real timewaster!

Tobiano

Visit site
Two hour journey to see a horse which was being driven out of the yard by its new owners as I drove in !
Horse obviously lame with a huge knee
Horse covered with lice
Horse still uncatchable after half an hour.
Having to try a horse out in a ploughed field!

my last purchase turned out to be full of lice but i am SO glad i didn't realise or i wouldn't have bought him - he is totally perfect and lice went in a couple of weeks and for a couple of hundred quid on vet costs.... :)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
OH YES YOU BEEPING WELL CAN! A few years ago I was that so called, "numpty" nothing obviously wrong with horse, (experienced friend, 5 stage vetting by Rossdale's) Then from nowhere after a couple of months rodeo and ................

BROKEN BACK. (mine) so think again about how ok it is to sell a horse with a known problem (it was known)!!!!
Sorry, I wasn't very clear, I do agree with you 100%, I was being sarcastic.
It is completely dishonest to wrongly describe a horse and it's immoral to sell a horse that is not suitable for the purchaser. Hope you recovered fully, Runaround.

conniegirl

Visit site
This is why I now prefer to buy mine young and unbroken!

I've seen thousands of horses, both when buying for myself and for some Parariders.

a few realy stick in my mind:

12.2hh first pony, chesnut, described as ideal for child coming off leadrein. Yeh only if you dont like the child, I jumped on, before my backside even hit the saddle it was off, galloped head first at the gate, sliding stop, span and bolted back the otherway. Now I have a bum like superglue and it is extremely difficult to get me off so I sat it untill it then started bronking! Huge twisting bucks, I had no stirrups and came off, it then stood on me as it went over the top of me!

15hh Welsh xtb described ad novicey but calm and quiet, was viewing it for a para rider. It was calm and quiet untill I got on and realised that as soon I entered trot I lost my steering and brakes, ended up cantering at a wall. Thankfully she stopped.

15hh smart hunter type (for anouther para rider), absolutly fine, perfect infact untill about 20 mins into the ride when it bolted, jumped out of the arena but didnt make the top rail, summersaulted and came down on top of me. Crushed 2 discs in my back, knocked me out cold for nearly 20 mins (waking up in the ambulance on the way to hospital).

14hh welsh D who was obviously drugged out of its mind!

14hh Connemara who turned out to be max 13hh and id of eaten my boots if it had any connie in it at all.

13.2hh Bay hunter pony 8yrs old, suitable for a novice. Turned out to be 14hh, Grey and 4 yrs old, was quite well educated for ts age and given anouther year under saddle would have been fine for a novice rider. However in hand it was bargey, rude, bit and kicked!

SpottyMare

Visit site
I went to see a 4yr old mare that was apparently bomb proof, had been a dream to start, would hack down busy roads on her own, was an absolute sweetheart, lovely to ride etc etc complete sob story as to why owner had to sell her. She wasn't cheap either.

What I actually saw was a very, very bolshy mare who tried to bite when being caught, randomly kicked out at the other horses/people, seemed to have her ears permanently pinned back, pushed and pulled her owner across the field and had obviously been allowed to get away with everything. When the excuses started coming out as to why she couldn't be demonstrated ridden (I had solutions for the first couple!) we made our excuses and left.. Shame though - was a really nice horse that had been ruined. I was actually tempted as I thought the issues were probably fixable but the owner wouldn't accept that if she couldn't demonstrate the horse being ridden, she couldn't expect a safe riding horse price...

Stacy_W

Visit site
Here's a wasted journey story with a different ending:

I drove about 40 miles to see a 4 year-old TB filly, substantial jumping type, never raced, 16.2 hh, fit and going well on the flat and over grids. Sounded like just what I was looking for, maybe to go eventing with in time.

What I was shown was a spindly creature, not quite 16hh, a huge grass belly and clearly straight out of a field, no topline and no evidence of having done any work at all. I gave the vendor the benefit of my opinions, including on the 80 mile round trip, and was about to stomp off, but the vendor insisted I try the filly, so out of curiosity I did.

I had to ride her down a narrow track to a field to try her out, and there blocking the way was a tractor with the engine running and about 3 feet gap to get past. I thought: 'if this uneducated 4-year-old TB goes past this, I'll buy her!'.

She did, without turning a hair, and really made an effort when I tried her out. That was in 1992 and I finally lost her 20 years later. She grew up to be the horse of a lifetime, who gave me and my kids more than any other horse.

There's no moral to this, but I'm very glad I didn't do a Rumpelstiltskin and get back in the car.

What a wonderful story. First appearances really aren't everything.

immybrookstud

Visit site
adorable Alice there is a small show hunter on horsequest, Mr Oaks, only 7yrs so sure lots more to come from him, but been to hoys twice. he looks smart, and sounds lovely in ad, i know that doesnt mean anything ad ref 107326

exracehorse

Visit site
We are looking to buy and am struggling. Viewed over the past two months. First one was a hand smaller than advertised, we arrived at the yard to find two ponies tied up, because they were both the same in colour and build, I immediately walked up to the one I thought was for sale, as per the photos, the owner was horrified to find two strangers looking her equine over and lifting its legs up, the one that was up for sale was only a small 13 hands instead of a 14.2 so, waste of a 2 hr journey. Second one had a confirmation issue. Third one wouldn't let me pick its feet up. Bucked with the rider on board and nearly came out of the schooling ring. Fourth one, I was very interested in, although a 16 hands horse (i'm open to anything really) but owner decided that she wasn't going to sell afterall, despite two weeks of messing me about. Fifth one rode really nicely but, had an awful cough and had already had vertinary attention due to his condition. Sixth one was a nice all rounder and I offered £500 under the asking price of 2.5k. Offer flatly refused, no negotiation. I think its still for sale. Seventh one was lame on the right rear and had a serious toe drag in the schooling ring. Eighth one had been over jumped, schooling was rubbish (supposed to win at ODE's) refused to come come onto the bit and threw its head up continuously, did jump but that's because I couldn't stop it or slow it down lol. Oh well, the hunt continues. Anyone know of a decent pony/horse out there???

Cgd

Visit site
Now that could be a whole new thread !!! I haven't had dealing with them but I know Marsh Ponies have a very good reputation and see loads of nice ones on their FB. I not plugging them as never used them but a friend bought a nice 16.2 coloured from them! If I hear of any friends selling will post an update . What a minefield . I drove 5 hrs to get my daughters pony and glad to say he best thing since sliced bread thank god !

roz84

Visit site
We are looking to buy and am struggling. Viewed over the past two months. First one was a hand smaller than advertised, we arrived at the yard to find two ponies tied up, because they were both the same in colour and build, I immediately walked up to the one I thought was for sale, as per the photos, the owner was horrified to find two strangers looking her equine over and lifting its legs up, the one that was up for sale was only a small 13 hands instead of a 14.2 so, waste of a 2 hr journey. Second one had a confirmation issue. Third one wouldn't let me pick its feet up. Bucked with the rider on board and nearly came out of the schooling ring. Fourth one, I was very interested in, although a 16 hands horse (i'm open to anything really) but owner decided that she wasn't going to sell afterall, despite two weeks of messing me about. Fifth one rode really nicely but, had an awful cough and had already had vertinary attention due to his condition. Sixth one was a nice all rounder and I offered £500 under the asking price of 2.5k. Offer flatly refused, no negotiation. I think its still for sale. Seventh one was lame on the right rear and had a serious toe drag in the schooling ring. Eighth one had been over jumped, schooling was rubbish (supposed to win at ODE's) refused to come come onto the bit and threw its head up continuously, did jump but that's because I couldn't stop it or slow it down lol. Oh well, the hunt continues. Anyone know of a decent pony/horse out there???

Where are you? A friend is trying to rehome her 15.3 coloured mare, 8 years old, she is potentially free, but needs to go to a loving forever home and be kept in work due to suspected locking stifle which vet has said won't be a problem as long as she is kept fit! She would be a nice riding club type and is well schooled, did some be
100 or something as a six year old!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Sixth one was a nice all rounder and I offered £500 under the asking price of 2.5k. Offer flatly refused, no negotiation.
The owner was not the time waster in this case. They have every right to turn down offers if they wish. You knew what the asking price was and offering 20% under the asking price is a big reduction, so you must have known that they might turn it down.

kez81

Visit site
Drove 4 hr round trip to view a horse described as "5yo pure Arab grey gelding, recently backed and schooling nicely, excellent in traffic and sweet and easy to do on ground" had he been black he would have been my dream horse. Arrived and met by a hefty woman who didn't even bother with the niceties of sating hi and shaking hands. She matched me to the stable block where she showed me a very thin but good looking Arab. She goes in to tack him up and his eye balls practically popped out, he was quite obviously afraid of her. She led more thing to the school and said he could be twitchy getting on as he was "just such an eager beaver to do his job" and you just need to be a but firm with him. Well she put one foot in the stirrup and poor neddy went straight up on his back legs and got a full wollop on his shoulder and kicked to buggery to move when she managed to get on. Needless to say I said no thanks he is just not what I was looking for and cried for the poor sod all the drive home.

exracehorse

Visit site
The owner was not the time waster in this case. They have every right to turn down offers if they wish. You knew what the asking price was and offering 20% under the asking price is a big reduction, so you must have known that they might turn it down.
absolutely agree they had every right to refuse my offer. The reason I offered 500 less was because the advert said included tack. Bridle and fitted saddle. At the end of viewing I was advised this was no longer included in the sale. Being an arab x with high wither would need a saddle fitter to come out and expense of buying a new one. When offer was refused I did offer that perhaps we could meet half way. But was declined.

conniegirl

Visit site
Oh well, the hunt continues. Anyone know of a decent pony/horse out there???

I know a very nice 15.1ish minimaly marked coloured hunter type thats for sale, done everything from ponyclub to showing, eventing to hacking with a tiny young girl on her. Absolute manners to burn and massive scope will jump anything and pull up beautifully on the other side.
Not silly money either.
Pm me if you want more info

exracehorse

Visit site
I know a very nice 15.1ish minimaly marked coloured hunter type thats for sale, done everything from ponyclub to showing, eventing to hacking with a tiny young girl on her. Absolute manners to burn and massive scope will jump anything and pull up beautifully on the other side.
Not silly money either.
I'm having trouble pm you. Shall try my lap top tomorrow. We are suffolk on essex border. Depends where your friend lives. Thank you. X

exracehorse

Visit site
Not silly money either.

Where are you? A friend is trying to rehome her 15.3 coloured mare, 8 years old, she is potentially free, but needs to go to a loving forever home and be kept in work due to suspected locking stifle which vet has said won't be a problem as long as she is kept fit! She would be a nice riding club type and is well schooled, did some be
100 or something as a six year old!
thank you for thinking of me but my lad has mechanical issues including slipping stiffles so would rather pass on locking stiffle. Kind regards x

old hand

Visit site
I was selling a 16.1hh middleweight grade B showjumper, he had won open one day events and hunted quietly, sound as a pound as safe as houses but forward going. A very nice lady came to try him, jumped him, hacked him out and said he was lovely, just as described and really knew his job and then announced she didn't want him because he was not a mare! I think that was a timewaster. interestingly now have a very big boned warmblood, takes everything in monster size but he measures 17.2hh with his head up and 16.3 and a bit with his poll and withers level. the smaller size is his real size but I wonder if most people know they should have the poll and withers level when they measure them? Mind you he is still bigger than most 17.2hhs round here!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
absolutely agree they had every right to refuse my offer. The reason I offered 500 less was because the advert said included tack. Bridle and fitted saddle. At the end of viewing I was advised this was no longer included in the sale. Being an arab x with high wither would need a saddle fitter to come out and expense of buying a new one. When offer was refused I did offer that perhaps we could meet half way. But was declined.

I understand now. :) The extra info makes a difference.

webble

Visit site
I am currently on the hunt for a new one and have sent countless emails asking questions about horses and not had a single reply. I know I could phone but it is quicker to email I am at work all day and busy at night and I have quite a few things to ask (which I wouldn't have to ask if they put the info in the ad grrrr)

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I've also travelled a stupid distance to see a horse that sounded marvellous but forgot to tell me about the 30 thousand sercoids she had all over her girth area and all along the length of her belly. Maybe they thought I wouldn't notice them :/ made me so cross as I could of saved myself a journey.