Decent brushing boots and sizing for stubby cob legs?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I generally don't use boots but MrT has a splint that the vet reccommended keeping protected during work. That's fine. I have a rather old pair of WoofWear club brushing boots in medium that fit ok. Bit on the small side but ok. I want to get him some nice boots in brown or maybe green because I think the black look a bit odd on him. Plus I haven't bought him anything yet! (Apart from his lovely saddle and his Bit Fit reccommended bit that I bought with him).

I got some LeMieux grafter boots on sale but bought a Medium (tried on the LeMieux wraps that I have for size) and they won't got round his chonky legs! But I don't think I'd want them any longer as they'd end up right up behind his knee.... the Large wraps were too long.

I think WoofWear do a medium-wide boot? Does anywhere else? And do any boots actually protect the splint area anyway? Prefably want to buy something that works. Was hoping to get some "nicer" than WoofWear? Don't know why I think of WoofWear as not "nice" though.

Hmmmm. Any thoughts?

(This is me redirecting my obsessive thought patterns so humour me ? He'll probably actually end up wearing the old WoofWear ones forever) Or I could see if the old boy's leather cross country boots fit and can be ressurected! Might be a bit bulky and fiddly for everyday riding though.

I also don't want to spend loads on a pair of boots! So no to Veradas or whatever they are called.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I use WW medium-wide club boots on Kira
they fit well, don't rub because there is no binding and wash up well, plus the price is decent.
I've had MW from New Equine Wear in a few styles before too but tbh I really prefer boots without binding and WW club are the most hardwearing that I have found that tick my boxes.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Honestly I’ve found Woof boots to be the best. They don’t rub and last well although they’re thinner than they used to be. Shires Arma are pretty good too. As you’ve found the le Mieux Grafter boots come up very small and aren’t particularly well made. I’ve got large on my warmbloods and the fronts are ok on the one with less bone but the hinds barely fit. They don’t fit my other one at all. The Arma come up quite big.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
But but but I don't know what colour now! They all seem to involve black... I liked the LeMieux because they were brown brown. But it's not like his saddle isn't black. He's wearing the old boy's brown bridle anyway so he's all mismatched poor love.

I'm going to need to extend his saddle pad/numnah collection too. His current one is navy.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
If I bought white boots they would turn brown I suppose! ?

It really doesn't matter! As long as they fit and work. And if I got WW he could have 2 or 3 different sets. I quite like the orange ones.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
WW are the only boots I have ever bought for everyday use, they are just so useful, last forever and wash well. In the past I used PE Sports Medicine boots for the special horse for when he was turned out, they saved him from a nasty injury when he decided to jump a gate and misjudged it.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Honestly I’ve found Woof boots to be the best. They don’t rub and last well although they’re thinner than they used to be. Shires Arma are pretty good too. As you’ve found the le Mieux Grafter boots come up very small and aren’t particularly well made. I’ve got large on my warmbloods and the fronts are ok on the one with less bone but the hinds barely fit. They don’t fit my other one at all. The Arma come up quite big.

Just looked at the Shires ones. I quite like them actually! And they do brown ones. When you say they come up big... Cob size for a 15.1hh cob? The medium WW boots just fit but could do with being slightly wider.

They do have binding, so wonder if they would rub. He has got hairy legs though so probably not too much of a concern except if the rub the hair then there are pressure points on the legs too. A plus point of the WW is the unbound edges don't look like they dig in.

Ooooo this is doing wonders in keeping my brain occupied. So many aspects to mull over. And this is just boots.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I find putting boots on feathered horses irritates them and gets the leg very hot.

Ted had two whopping splints aged 4 and I went down the boot route to protect them, didn’t last long as he couldn’t bare them.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
He may end up with shaved legs anyway... mite and mallenders depending! I've just fallen in love with his long blond mane so leaving the feathers on seems to match better! And his mallenders has pretty much cleared up at the moment. He's bred in Wales so is quite Welshie round the edges... feathers are somewhere between proper cob feathers and Welshie ankle fluff.

Squeak

Visit site
I’ve actually been really disappointed with my last set of ww boots. They didn’t last half the time of the Mark Todd’s and the horses legs got very sweaty under them where they’re just plain neoprene.

The Mark Todd’s are brilliant, really have lasted so well and have never rubbed or slipped but could be more ventilated as they’re only perforated neoprene.

I’ve had a set of shires Arma airmotion boots for a couple of months and have been really impressed with them so far. Waiting to see if the binding on them will rub....