Deciding when to back and pressure.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Backing at a later age doesn't automatically create a problem horse. I've helped back ex broodies who were in their teens and they all went sweetly. One of mine was sat on at four and then not properly backed and ridden away until she was eight. She's able to be ridden by disabled riders so not exactly a problem horse.

I backed a 10 year old last year and she is now being ridden, including hacking and jumping, by a variety of people including a young teen and giving pony rides to small children. She did actually have a small glitch to start, which I suspect was because someone got the initial work wrong, but that had nothing to do with her age.

I do have one controversial thought though - most people give themselves too much credit! We tend to think we shape everything about a horse - soundness, temperament, rate of progression etc - but it's not true. Why would anyone bother to have a breeding programme if horses all start as blank slates? I agree, we can take a lot away from a horse with bad decisions but the fact is most are pretty naturally compliant. Some are so compliant monkeys could back them, most are pretty good, a small group will be very tricky for even an experienced trainer. Part of what experience gives you is the ability to recognise a horse's innate strengths and weaknesses and adapt your methods and expectations accordingly.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Fabulous and interesting thread. I have a pair of youngsters, one will be three at the weekend and the other three at the end of June. They both wear rollers and the one has had a saddle on. I am very undecided whether to crack on and back them or leave them.

I viewed a horse recently (3 years old this spring, warmblood by Wolkenderry). He was a tall gangly baby but had been broken 2 months ago and was shown to us under saddle in all three gaits with extension in the trot and canter. He was a ball of tension. I came away from that viewing more puzzled than ever about starting young horses.

Would you get on these two this summer ?

P1011069_zpsb1e0d320.jpg

P1011059_zpsd3999464.jpg

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Would I get on them this summer? Yes, both, but I'd only have expectations of the bay lad (defined by him, of course). The black cob would be a wait-and-see job.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Based on this photo, IMHO Alice looks mature for a 3yo and ready to start the backing process. But in other recent photos, she's looked rather babyish. So I don't know!

Shan't offer an opinion on Ted as he's a special case!

You said it !!
P1011033_zps248c363a.jpg

Alice looked awful a fortnight ago and is no where near as big as I had hoped she would be. The farrier picture was taken this evening.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Wind-and-rain you misunderstand me, I have patience and will happily wait for a horse to reach 3 but I see no need to wait beyond that and will start the breaking process. Followed by light work thereafter until the horse is ready for more, and that takes as long as it takes. But at 3 they will be ridden.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Go with your gut feeling, you know your horse best. I have a 3 year old that I've just started walking on the lunge and because of his issues, if I can get him to trot on the lunge all the good, can put a saddle on him in the stable but not a caveson and as for a bridle well that will be a leap of faith on his part as he's headshy.

mandwhy

Visit site
When I got my haffy at 5 having been backed at 4 she was a grumpy old boot most of the time with the worst nappy attitude, I was told by the previous owner that she was not backed sympathetically but I don't really know. I didn't really ride her consistently for the next year and a half apart from some hacking and small progress with schooling due to her dislike of it and many outside factors such as my own injury. She is almost 7 now and her attitude has improved ten fold, as has her ability to do the things I ask when it comes to balance etc. I am really quite glad that things happened as they did and I didnt force the issue, and in my gut I knew that she was immature and it would do her no harm to be left alone if I needed to do so. I became a little fed up with all work and no play over winter but now things are improving no end, and I can see why with some horses it is better to just give them time rather than try to make them mature.

My little Welsh will be 3 soon and I think we will back her just to be going round the field, she is very sweet but sharp so although she will want to do the work I won't be quick to push her when it comes to hacking etc, certainly going to be careful joint wise about any fast work or jumping even though I know she will be in her element then.

Fides

Visit site
Would I get on them this summer? Yes, both, but I'd only have expectations of the bay lad (defined by him, of course). The black cob would be a wait-and-see job.

I'd say the same as this. From the one picture though it is hard to tell though, but they both look 'solid' enough. Mentally are they ready though?