Decision made - I’m selling up and going back to livery!

Parrotperson

Visit site
well good for you! Covid has really focused our attention too. My husband has cancer and was told he couldn't return to work (by his employer mind you) because they couldn't make it safe enough for him. they then sacked him. Great. then my mum died (99 not covid related thank goodness) and so we thought? Right we'll retire. So we are. to somewhere completely different and 350 miles from where we live now. Why not. We've saved hard and can do it. just.

why waste your life worrying OP. Good luck. I hope you're husband makes a full recovery.

oldie48

Visit site
There are times in everyone's life when you come to a cross roads. My OH has been keen to downsize for a while but I have been reluctant. Covid and my recent illness has made me completely reassess and I put Rose on full livery in September and sent companion pony back to his owner. Our house is going on the market in the spring. TBH I am enjoying having Rose on full livery, it's made a huge difference to our life, it is much easier and although I dread leaving my house because I really love it, I know we will find another home I will love as much.
I hope your husband continues to make a good recovery and I think you are doing the right thing for both of you. I really struggled with the decision, was forced into it really but I am not regretting it as we were at one of those cross roads. Good luck.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
There are times in everyone's life when you come to a cross roads. My OH has been keen to downsize for a while but I have been reluctant. Covid and my recent illness has made me completely reassess and I put Rose on full livery in September and sent companion pony back to his owner. Our house is going on the market in the spring. TBH I am enjoying having Rose on full livery, it's made a huge difference to our life, it is much easier and although I dread leaving my house because I really love it, I know we will find another home I will love as much.
I hope your husband continues to make a good recovery and I think you are doing the right thing for both of you. I really struggled with the decision, was forced into it really but I am not regretting it as we were at one of those cross roads. Good luck.
I'm with your husband! One of the heartbreaking things that my late husband said to me when he was terminally ill was "We left it too late". I had been trying to get him/us to cut back on work and take more time for ourselves for several years.

fairyclare

Visit site
Does that title send a shiver down your spine? Lol Well.....for those lucky enough to have their own land or a private place.

It’s been a big decision for hubby and me but we’re happy we’re making the right one for us. Hubby was very ill with Covid last April and tomorrow is the first time he’ll be returning to work after virtually a year off. Phased return of course. I can honestly say it changes you....we are both totally different people after the worst year we’ve ever had to endure.

We want to be mortgage free....oh what will that feel like!?! Holiday more, have the pressure taken off work commitment as we aren’t sure hubby can even work full time yet. Time will tell on that one. I feel so incredibly blessed to have had my own place but the mortgage free situation has always been hubby’s dream.....so now it’s his time!

I’ve just got one horse left and I’m going back to a local livery yard where I was 13 years ago before we bought our little place. It’s gonna be a Wendy I know that and I’m dreading walking away that last time but we need to do this.

If this pandemic has taught us anything, it’s that we all have too many material things. We need to have less and do more. Make memories! I may only survive the week.....so wish me luck. lol. I hope to be moving in a month or so. Take care everyone.

I can totally relate!!

We have all been very poorly with covid and unfortunately my step dad passed away from covid pneumonia 3 weeks ago.

It has always been my dream to have land, stables, horses at home.
My horses are on DIY in the yard behind my house, so as good as at home but not at home if that makes sense.

Since being so poorly and my wonderful friends stepping up and looking after them for me through my illness and the day the hospital called to say there had been a drastic decline and we needed to come and say goodbye, I no longer want to have that setup, being on a yard and having either services or friends to call on has really opened my eyes to the struggle of being alone.

When I was at my worst I could not have cared less about the horses as long as they were in, fed and happy which I knew they were.

I am glad to hear your husband has made a good steady recovery and is now well enough for a phased return to work.

littleshetland

Visit site
Had my own place, with an arena and liveries for years, sold up, horses in livery for 3 years, now back to having my own place again, except this time I'm a bit older and a bit more creaky and more prone to getting knackered! I really enjoyed being on livery with mine. There were occasions when it was a bit of an annoyance, but it was a good yard with great people. I certainly didn't miss mending fences, worrying about hay and bedding, muck heaps being maintained and moved etc etc. Now I'm back to being a YO again, it is nice and has many benefits....but I definitely get more tired than I used to.

Birker2020

Visit site
Does that title send a shiver down your spine? Lol Well.....for those lucky enough to have their own land or a private place.

It’s been a big decision for hubby and me but we’re happy we’re making the right one for us. Hubby was very ill with Covid last April and tomorrow is the first time he’ll be returning to work after virtually a year off. Phased return of course. I can honestly say it changes you....we are both totally different people after the worst year we’ve ever had to endure.

We want to be mortgage free....oh what will that feel like!?! Holiday more, have the pressure taken off work commitment as we aren’t sure hubby can even work full time yet. Time will tell on that one. I feel so incredibly blessed to have had my own place but the mortgage free situation has always been hubby’s dream.....so now it’s his time!

I’ve just got one horse left and I’m going back to a local livery yard where I was 13 years ago before we bought our little place. It’s gonna be a Wendy I know that and I’m dreading walking away that last time but we need to do this.

If this pandemic has taught us anything, it’s that we all have too many material things. We need to have less and do more. Make memories! I may only survive the week.....so wish me luck. lol. I hope to be moving in a month or so. Take care everyone.

Your post made me smile. I am wanting to do the exact opposite due to the Covid outbreak and have my own place with a couple of stables, menage and a few acres. My own independence.

The initial hourly timeslot situation that was enforced on our yard was incredibly hard for me. I know the YO was only enforcing it to protect us but God did I find it hard mentally, and physically trying to squeeze in 1.5 hours into an hour. Almost impossible and as a result my horse began to suffer too with thrush, mud fever and terrible bed. I do appreciate how in the current climate these things are hardly up there with the suffering of those poor souls with Covid or those relatives who have lost loved ones. But I'm just saying I would so love my own place. I love the yard I'm on and the people and horses, etc. But I would be happier I think at the moment if I had my own place although I'm more relaxed now we have an extra half hour of time.

I know its no bed of roses having your own yard, and its hard work but I'd love to be mucking out at 5.30am and doing a late night net at 10pm on my own. And my OH works as a groundsman/handyman at various yards so he'd be a great help.

I hope your husband is better soon.

Good luck

Loubidy

Visit site
Mortgage free would definitely feel amazing! I always had my own little yard until I moved away and had to go on livery and actually it's fine so long as you have a yard that puts the horses first. I miss managing my own fields but not having the responsibility of it all definitely makes life easier! Enjoy the holidays (once we can finally go!!!)

Visit site
I did the same, was very fed up with where we lived. Sold up and moved to a lovely place, no fields to look after or fences to mend. Only one horse now, the best horse I have ever owned. Based with trainer so help with progress and also a talented rider to help me. Indoor school, no more riding in wind and rain, don’t miss my old life!

Visit site
I can’t wait to have no mortgage! I know we’ll feel care free. It’s a long time since I’ve felt that ;)

Just wondering how you got on after, did you sell up and achieve your new dream?

I have found it hard and lonely shouldering the responsibility for the land and animals by myself but cannot find a suitable yard locally at all :/

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Sounds like a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders - the right decision isn't a brave one, it's the best one. Good luck with the new life and I hope your OH continues to mend.

cblover

Visit site
Hi ? it’s been a bit up and down really. Land went up for sale and I got a livery place one mile away. Nice small place and I’m really happy there. Sadly the horse I had left…my beautiful 4 year old Sox died of grass sickness 2 days before I was due to move there. I was beyond heart broken. But I’ve been blessed with buying back Lulu..a mare I owned as a 4 year old. She’s now 9 and that’s who I’ve now got in livery.
We’re mortgage free, I’ve got a new 4x4, trailer is serviced, wills have been updated and things generally feel lighter and more free.
We also lost our 12 year old dog Maddi a month after Sox so it’s been a rough time.
I’m enjoying just looking after one horse and having some company. It was the right decision for us to sell up. Hubby is back at work with no pressure of having to do overtime. Feels great! ??

cblover

Visit site
Awww thanks! He’s doing ok, long covid is an awful thing though. He battles fatigue and joint pain a lot. He gets frustrated as he’s used to being very strong and working hours on end. I think it’s a bit scary that he can’t but he’s one of the lucky ones and he knows it. We’ve got each other and we’ll embrace whatever comes our way. ?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m going day by day too. I’ve even left the horses out tonight so I can have a lie in.....well after 7 and before 9am. Lol

Winter is such hard work and I’m exhausted. The livery yard is fully diy but I have friends there. It’s dry, clean, lit up and someone comes on a magic tractor that makes the muck heap disappear! Wow! ;) Even the fields are relatively dry and you don’t have to bucket water to the fields. I’m getting excited just typing about it. :p
It sounds wonderful!
I hope your husband recovers fully.

Cutgrass

Visit site
I'm not with it at all today. Thought I'd read the whole thread but missed your update. Given the downs it sounds like it was an even better decision. Hope everything continues to improve.

cblover

Visit site
Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Now I’m battling with myself about my weight and being too heavy for lulu. Covid hasn’t been kind to my waist line! ? good job I’m not aiming for badminton. ?